• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You've got the look, you've got the hook...

This thread has all the speculation and intrigue of a bunch of nosy old hens gossiping about the neighborhood trollop.

It's freezing ass cold with like 4' of snow on the ground, I'm happy to rubberneck some DG drama.

It's more nuanced than that though isn't it? I'm not sure it matters if it's PC or not so much as if there is a real problem involving how female disc golfers are talked about.
I think three facts that give context to talking about attractiveness of athletes in disc golf currently:
First, that many FPO players have reported feeling uncomfortable (or flat out verbally abused and/or objectified) both online and in-person.
Second, that male DG player's attractiveness is almost never discussed, here or broadly.
Third, that disc golf is overwhelmingly played and consumed as a product by males which means we often talking to an echo chamber on these matters.

So sure, academically, in a vacuum, what you're saying is undeniably true with regard to attractiveness coloring opinion, hell, even success in the workplace. There is a lot of academic literature on this. However, to say it's "too PC" is dismissive in a way that fails to acknowledge real issues in the sport and society broadly.

I get it and I'm opposed to the objectification you reference. I hope more women will participate in DG and feel comfortable doing so.

I wouldn't have brought up the concept myself, so I'll drop it.

Antron and Bogey hit a lot of what I've been wanting to say in a response but couldn't think of the right wording. Even if there isn't anything being said in this thread or anywhere that's blatantly abusive or harassing, some things that I have read in this thread in terms of looks are similar to things women in my life have told me they have been told and felt uncomfortable with. If you identify a certain way that doesn't match the majority of folks in a sport or job, it doesn't take obvious derogatory or demeaning words to make statements uncomfortable enough for someone to think twice about trying that sport or job field out.

I'm not saying anyone that's brought up looks in this thread is trying to be demeaning to women or is a bad person or just worries about looks. I think it's important, however, to think about how we talk about different groups of people within disc golf before we dismiss those concerns as "PC".

I have also noticed looks have basically only been brought up when in comes to Kona and Kristin. How many male disc golfers have been shopping for new sponsors this off season? Food for thought.

And to keep my post connected to the original taking point of the thread, I think Hailey will go to Discmania and I feel like Catrina would be a good addition for Infinite. And I would love recommendations on Carolina BBQ as someone who hopes to get out there sometime soon, and as a person who pretends to be a good cook sometimes.

Antron and Bogey hit a lot of what I've been wanting to say in a response but couldn't think of the right wording. Even if there isn't anything being said in this thread or anywhere that's blatantly abusive or harassing, some things that I have read in this thread in terms of looks are similar to things women in my life have told me they have been told and felt uncomfortable with. If you identify a certain way that doesn't match the majority of folks in a sport or job, it doesn't take obvious derogatory or demeaning words to make statements uncomfortable enough for someone to think twice about trying that sport or job field out.

I'm not saying anyone that's brought up looks in this thread is trying to be demeaning to women or is a bad person or just worries about looks. I think it's important, however, to think about how we talk about different groups of people within disc golf before we dismiss those concerns as "PC".

I have also noticed looks have basically only been brought up when in comes to Kona and Kristin. How many male disc golfers have been shopping for new sponsors this off season? Food for thought.

And to keep my post connected to the original taking point of the thread, I think Hailey will go to Discmania and I feel like Catrina would be a good addition for Infinite. And I would love recommendations on Carolina BBQ as someone who hopes to get out there sometime soon, and as a person who pretends to be a good cook sometimes.
I've really come around on this over the last few years. Might have something to do with having 3 daughters now.

Calvin's got 'em both beat.

Throw in his dry sense of humor and his Chem Engineering degree... he's the total package. <3

Meh. He's kind of that guy that if someone asked you what he looked like you would just tell them he has a wonderful personality.

Meh. He's kind of that guy that if someone asked you what he looked like you would just tell them he has a wonderful personality.

..... and he's witty. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks do matter when it comes to sponsorships though. It's the reason why Maria Sharapova made far more $$$ than Serena Williams even though Serena was the way better player.

I didn't see anyone in this thread make any inappropriate comments about Kona's looks. Just people pointing out that her looks contribute to why she is making more than some players better than her.

I didn't see anyone in this thread make any inappropriate comments about Kona's looks. Just people pointing out that her looks contribute to why she is making more than some players better than her.

So you did see them.

Sex sells. Isn't that just about the number one rule in advertising? That's why they have professional beach volleyball. Shame people all you want, but it's literally genetically programmed into us- along with pretty much all other sexually-reproducing life forms. Without it we might as well be robots. Or trees.

However, I don't think either Kona or Kristin are really so attractive that that's why they're getting bigger contracts. If that's what the ladies' contracts were based on, Cat would make twice as much as anyone else on tour.

Kristin had a breakthrough year, and I think DD is just gambling on Kona doing the same. She certainly has been trending upwards. Also, they're only paying her half as much over four years as they're paying Rick for one year, and she said that she was the one who approached them. If they could easily afford it and thought that it had a good chance at paying off, who could blame them for saying yes?

Sex sells. Isn't that just about the number one rule in advertising? That's why they have professional beach volleyball. Shame people all you want, but it's literally genetically programmed into us- along with pretty much all other sexually-reproducing life forms. Without it we might as well be robots. Or trees.

However, I don't think either Kona or Kristin are really so attractive that that's why they're getting bigger contracts. If that's what the ladies' contracts were based on, Cat would make twice as much as anyone else on tour.

Kristin had a breakthrough year, and I think DD is just gambling on Kona doing the same. She certainly has been trending upwards. Also, they're only paying her half as much over four years as they're paying Rick for one year, and she said that she was the one who approached them. If they could easily afford it and thought that it had a good chance at paying off, who could blame them for saying yes?

Ultimately, as a disc manufacturer, it's about selling plastic. Paul sells more than anyone, Ricky is second. Kona won't sell near as much, her pay scale reflects what they believe she will help move.

It's all speculation, but in a growing market, everyone is a genius.

Looks do matter when it comes to sponsorships though. It's the reason why Maria Sharapova made far more $$$ than Serena Williams even though Serena was the way better player.

you have skillfully or due to your unconscious implicit bias have omitted the role of racism in your example.

I asked my wife and daughter at dinner(both casual DG players but watch plenty with me) if looks matter in regard to sports and endorsements for both male and female athletes.

My wife is a coach and athletic director. She and her friends talk about male athletes and looks plenty and pay attention to it. She thinks there generally aren't as many female fans for most sports so it doesn't matter as much for men... but admitted women would rather look at someone good looking pushing a product than someone who wasn't as good looking. She also said no matter how attractive they are, if they can't really compete athletically, she would lose interest in following them. Performance matters greatly, but when you add in performance plus looks and a fun or good personality, you've hit the jackpot endoresment wise.

Her favorite male player is Paul Ulibarri because she likes him in the practice round shows and says he's cute, plus funny which is always a winner. Her favorite FPO player is Catrina Allen.

My daughters favorite player is KJUSA. She said he's really, really cute and seems super nice. She also likes Kyle Klein. Obviously they are both younger athletes, with Kyle being close to her age. She said her favorite female player to watch is Paige Pierce and the "two sisters from Texas"... the Mandujanos... we've seen youtube videos with them and some tournament play here and there..

Their final thoughts... if a male or female athlete feels comfortable using their looks to gain more of a following or make more money, then they should and there is nothing wrong with it. They should just do it in a way that makes them feel good and keeps the integrity of the image they want to project.

TLDR: Daughter and wife say it isn't a big deal if a female or male athlete uses their attractiveness to make more money or get more deals.