• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zero Masks, Zero Social Distancing...

But what if you are sick and contagious, but you don't know it yet because you aren't showing symptoms?

There are a lot of possibilities. I don't really see the sense. If you have no symptoms you aren't sneezing and hacking particles all over and I don't really see much use for masks. It is just a matter of probability. Your odds of dying on the road to the event are astronomically higher. So by venturing out my front door I already faced a greater danger than no masks.

Now if your are making my food I may feel differently. Or is McBeth a close talker??

There are a lot of possibilities. I don't really see the sense. If you have no symptoms you aren't sneezing and hacking particles all over and I don't really see much use for masks. It is just a matter of probability. Your odds of dying on the road to the event are astronomically higher. So by venturing out my front door I already faced a greater danger than no masks.

Now if your are making my food I may feel differently. Or is McBeth a close talker??

Not that you likely care, but the car wreck comparison is not a great one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...us-car-accident-deaths-is-bad/?outputType=amp

But what if you are sick and contagious, but you don't know it yet because you aren't showing symptoms?
Bingo. Seems people can feel fine and be spreading this for a good two weeks before ever showing symptoms.
Then there are those who seem to carry, but for some reason never develop symptoms.

But Dingus is fine. No one can catch it from him, cuz he's … a Dingus. :\
Unreasonable people can't be bothered by taking reasonable precautions.

I get not wearing a mask in the great outdoors, but put some space between you and others.
Why the need to be so close? It's disc golf, not a massage. I even stay a good 10ft away when I play with my son.

Pick up gimmes.
Pull your disc when you make a putt.
Be mindful to avoid/minimize contact with the basket when removing your disc.
Don't touch anyone else's disc.
Leave at least 6 ft (10 ft would be preferable) between you and everyone else.

All this is easy to do with 4 or less on a card. Nigh on impossible with mob golf.

This ain't rocket surgery... :|

Last edited:

You can sneeze and cough without being sick. Infact, I bet I have sneezed and coughed more times when not sick than I have while sick. Also, breathing spreads more particles into the air then you may realize.

Plus, masks can help you prevent spreading germs to your hands, which helps you from spreading germs in general.

Not that you likely care, but the car wreck comparison is not a great one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...us-car-accident-deaths-is-bad/?outputType=amp

There was a paywall so I can only presume it is pointing out the false equivalency made by the president comparing COVID to car crashes when deciding whether to shut down the economy. And if that is correct, do you find it ironic that you made a false equivalency comparing the net risks to myself individually and a president making public policy?

But Dingus is fine. No one can catch it from him, cuz he's … a Dingus. :\
Unreasonable people can't be bothered by taking reasonable precautions.
:|

But I wear a mask :\. I just don't care if YOU wear a mask or not.

Masks are for the sick. Not sick, no need for mask. I highly doubt people with radioactive pandemic flu will be playing a disc golf tourney. Don't care, won't care.

look-out-folks-we-got-ourselves-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg

Nice, but my mask doesn't have the elastic that goes over the ears, it has four ties that you have to knot behind your head. It's an annoyance to have to tie/untie the mask over and over....so hopefully my next option will be more user-friendly.

I used the cooling neck gaiter from Serena Williams & Dwyane Wade from the beginning. If you wear it right, it doesn't fog.

If you have symptoms or for whatever reason tested positive? Of course testing positive does not mean you ARE positive, the false positive rate is equal to the positive testing rate so the percentage of true positives is extremely low, but this is about courtesy so we wear masks after positive tests all the same.

One of the problems is that it's a novel disease which has spread asymptomatically, and that we're not entirely sure about when it spreads most easily, with some reason to believe it may spread more easily early on.

You're raising my risk if you won't wear one, and that's not cool. Also, it's a pandemic, so all pan-many of us need to suck it up and pitch in together, and not free-ride off the goodwill of others.

One of the problems is that it's a novel disease which has spread asymptomatically, and that we're not entirely sure about when it spreads most easily, with some reason to believe it may spread more easily early on.

You're raising my risk if you won't wear one, and that's not cool. Also, it's a pandemic, so all pan-many of us need to suck it up and pitch in together, and not free-ride off the goodwill of others.

Just ignore SonicGuy's alternate troll account.

I wear a mask. It is the law where I live in TN. I don't care if you wear one, and I don't care if the people I am watching play DG online wear one.

McBeth is too good a disc golfer to not watch because he isn't following social norms.

You folks are literally arguing with a person whos name is Dingus. The screen name fits.

I'm not sure why you are insulting me, I started by agreeing with your post. I don't even think we are arguing about anything. I wear a mask. It is the law, and it is the social norm. The only place where we differ is that I don't care if those around me are wearing masks so long as they are outwardly healthy. I do think people should follow the law and use good sense. But demonizing disc golfers at a tournament is just too negative for me.

I'm not sure why you are insulting me, I started by agreeing with your post. I don't even think we are arguing about anything. I wear a mask. It is the law, and it is the social norm. The only place where we differ is that I don't care if those around me are wearing masks so long as they are outwardly healthy. I do think people should follow the law and use good sense. But demonizing disc golfers at a tournament is just too negative for me.

So if you are agreeing then I think you have an odd way of doing it. Seems like you are pretty antimask or a non believer in covid-19. I'm not tuned into social media or the news so I dont know whats really being said right now but when something as simple as wearing a mask weather you are sick or not can help stop the spread then why are we not doing it. Saying that you only need to wear one only if you are sick is just bad info to be putting out there.

Im not for demonizing the disc golfers themselves, I just wish that the TD's would force the spectators to social distance and wear masks if they want to be there. Too many TD's are prioritizing profit over safety and I think thats a bad look for the sport.

So if you are agreeing then I think you have an odd way of doing it. Seems like you are pretty antimask or a non believer in covid-19. I'm not tuned into social media or the news so I dont know whats really being said right now but when something as simple as wearing a mask weather you are sick or not can help stop the spread then why are we not doing it. Saying that you only need to wear one only if you are sick is just bad info to be putting out there.

I am very pro mask for myself and my family. It is just such a small thing for me to do. It doesn't affect me in any way so why get riled up about it? Especially when everybody around me would get very riled up if I don't wear them. By the same token, I don't let myself get riled up by others not wearing a mask. I understand that they may have some very strong feelings about it and I just don't feel the need to dive into a political discussion on it. I don't really like politics, everything is us vs them, and I feel like if masks were not such a political issue more people would wear them like I do.

Of course if someone has tested positive or has symptoms that changes completely. Then you better wear the mask and I might actually say something about it.

. . . The only place where we differ is that I don't care if those around me are wearing masks so long as they are outwardly healthy. . . .

As you said, you are being responsible by wearing a mask. Good on you.

With regard to "outwardly healthy" people, the CDC recently updated its current best estimates for COVID-19 as follows:

40% of infections are asymptomatic; and
75% infectiousness of asymptomatic individuals relative to symptomatic​

So some percentage of "outwardly healthy" people are quite capable of spreading disease, depending on the degree of local community infection.

CDC: COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios (scroll down to Table 1, Scenario 5: Current Best Estimate)

As you said, you are being responsible by wearing a mask. Good on you.

With regard to "outwardly healthy" people, the CDC recently updated its current best estimates for COVID-19 as follows:

40% of infections are asymptomatic; and
75% infectiousness of asymptomatic individuals relative to symptomatic​

So some percentage of "outwardly healthy" people are quite capable of spreading disease, depending on the degree of local community infection.

CDC: COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios (scroll down to Table 1, Scenario 5: Current Best Estimate)

I understand there is *some* risk to subjecting myself to unmasked asymptomatic people. I just look at it as a risk reward scenario. What is the likelihood that those outwardly healthy people are asymptomatic spreaders? I don't feel it is very likely. Do they exist? Sure. But I don't think their prevalence puts enough risk on me where calling them out in public is something I would do.

Now if you have symptoms all bets are off. The likelihood of my being exposed to a virus is extremely high. Put on the mask.