• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 PDGA Pro World Disc Golf Championships: Monterey Bay, California

I just scoured the website and I was expecting it to say how many days they expect you to volunteer and I can't find it anywhere, but in talking to the TD in the past few months I seem to remember him saying they are looking for four days of volunteering and they will put you at different courses/locations so you don't get burned out and you will be well fed.

I just scoured the website and I was expecting it to say how many days they expect you to volunteer and I can't find it anywhere, but in talking to the TD in the past few months I seem to remember him saying they are looking for four days of volunteering and they will put you at different courses/locations so you don't get burned out and you will be well fed.

Here is the volunteer info:
http://www.2011proworlds.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/VounteeerSign-up.pdf

And the PDGA Worlds site:
http://www.2011proworlds.com/

Sorry for the lagging responses...

Volunteers will be asked to contribute at least 2 days of the main 4 day portion of the tournament (Tuesday-Friday). We'd love to have volunteers participate even more, if possible. Additionally, we will need volunteers to stay on for Saturday, for the semi-finals and finals at DeLaveaga and Pinto Lake. Some of the other events will also need volunteers, such as the opening ceremony, the field events, the beach events, and the movie premiere. We're still sorting out the details of our needs.

Also: This week, Pro Worlds registration opened to all PDGA pros. The number of registered players jumped from just under 100 to 200 in only 2 days. We recommend that players register as soon as possible to secure a slot, at the rate this is going now, the event will be completely filled in a matter of weeks.

Volunteers will be asked to contribute at least 2 days of the main 4 day portion of the tournament (Tuesday-Friday).

CORRECTION: We need the volunteers to stay for all 4 days (Tuesday-Friday), and we'll love to have you on Saturday too. And don't forget about the Volunteer BBQ and tournament on Sunday!

No Mid-West or Eastern US Players at 2011 Pro Worlds?

Somebody on the PDGA message board noted that the pro registration for 2011 Pro Worlds is almost filled (registration opens up for Ams in one week...it will be instantly filled at that point), and there are no players east of Colorado registered (except Brinster, Climo, and Locastro).

Does anyone know why midwesterners and east coasters are not going to participate in 2011 Pro Worlds? Is California just too far to travel?

Unless the playing field fills to 432 this weekend, PDGA current Amateurs can begin registering for 2011 Pro Worlds on Monday. There will be fewer than 100 slots remaining, so you will have to act fast to get in.

Registration is now open to everyone. Click here to sign-up now. We expect this event to sell out very quickly.

And just to be clear: there will be only 432 players maximum at 2011 Worlds. There will be no 5 player cards. There will be no exceptions.

2011 Pro Worlds player field will be filled to capacity.

You guys won't believe what the volunteer package looks like now. I'm not allowed to say, although you might figure it out from looking at recent updates to our sponsors list. Some people have heard, and are asking if they can buy in as a volunteer, but not actually show up to volunteer. We will not be releasing the schwag to anyone who doesn't truly intend to volunteer. The value of the volunteer package is now almost $300, and climbing all the time.

All Worlds courses are set up in the 2011 Pro Worlds Configuration from now until after the tournament.* CSUMB has all 27 concrete tees in place. Now is a good time to come and preview all four courses.

*Exceptions: 1) Pinto Lake has an extra 8 holes that play through otherwise busy soccer fields, and won't be set up until just before Worlds. 2) DeLaveaga is short one basket...new baskets are going to be installed soon...for now, 17 is still closed, but we might be able to move 8A to 17 (8A and 26A are not being used for Worlds). 3) Hole 27 at CSUMB currently has no basket, one will be put in place very soon.

Come and volunteer. It'll be the coolest disc golf experience you've ever had. Hardings' Ranch has tons of space, $10/person/night camping, with catering, live music (e.g., Philo's band), poker tournaments, a Pinto Lake volunteer party hosted by Nate Doss and other top pros, and much much more. You'll also go to an epic banquet, with live entertainment, and a "talk show" hosted by Gregory Barsby. Then there's the Worlds premiere of "Chains, the Movie," a Fly-Mart, distance and putting competition, right in the middle of Santa Cruz beach at the wharf. Keen will be there, with their new DeLaveaga shoes (volunteers get a steep discount!). Innova will have a huge presence, along with Lat 64 and DGA. So will many other manufacturers, with the newest stuff. We're also expecting the Ricos' new disc company (Legacy) to be there selling their first PDGA approved disc (over-stable driver). And intense competition. Every pro wants to be the winner of 2011 Pro Worlds in California. This tournament will be historic. Many tales of epic disc golf will be born. Being part of 2011 Pro Worlds is going to be an amazing memory, a notable event in your life.

There is still time to sign up at:
http://www.2011proworlds.com/volunteers/join-us/

Pay to volunteer? Is this run by the US Govt?

Yep. You wouldn't believe how much of a personal investment all of us in the Santa Cruz/Watsonville/Monterey area have made to put on this tournament. $60 is nothing. If somebody doesn't even want to invest that much, then we're not at all interested in having them.

$60 is nothing. If somebody doesn't even want to invest that much, then we're not at all interested in having them.

That's a terrible attitude. You ought to be ashamed representing worlds in that manner. I guess people with a lot of free time like the unemployed aren't welcome? Where is the $60 going, into payout? :doh:

That's a terrible attitude. You ought to be ashamed representing worlds in that manner. I guess people with a lot of free time like the unemployed aren't welcome? Where is the $60 going, into payout? :doh:

Good point!!

Are there any volunteer light options? It is not the $60 it is the 4 days that would be hard for me.

Yep. You wouldn't believe how much of a personal investment all of us in the Santa Cruz/Watsonville/Monterey area have made to put on this tournament. $60 is nothing. If somebody doesn't even want to invest that much, then we're not at all interested in having them.

What a glib and wholly unpleasant response to a good point. a better system would probably have been to offer different tiers to involvement so that people who only have their time to give could do so as well, and just have the $60 donation pay for the privilege of attending the festivities on sunday. i think its a shame that so many people have invested themselves in this tournament just to have you be the ambassador for it. i have been on the fence about attending worlds, as i had the time available in between projects at work, so i appreciate you helping to make the decision so easy for me.

Latest posts