• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] All things DGA thread.

The Rogue is legit sleeper 11 speed. Slower arms to about 360ft ,its a reliable control distance driver.

Will turn out the box but not flippy. It has become my go-to for long tight woods courses.

A hair slower then a Wraith/Trace but more control and easier turn.

Anyone throwing the latest Sp/Pl Hellfires?

Wondering if they are nice and overstable.

Got my Protos a day earlier than expected. Very pretty PL plastic.

They look and feel similar to a pipeline but the wing is noticably narrower, accounting for the difference of speed 8 vs 7.

The Cat proto got some work today. It was pretty windy though, so I didn't get a great sampling of what it can do.

What I can say about it though, is that it's understable. Moreso than pipelines. If a pipeline is a 8/5/-1/1, then the proto is a 7/6/-2/1. It's a fantastic slower hyzer flip disc, brand new. Almost certainly will knock the need for a sidewinder out of the bag. Seems like a very good understable comment to the pipeline.

Disclaimer: I've never thrown an F7 so I can't really compare those two.

I would be very comfortable with OLF/Pipeline/Proto being my fairway lineup this season.

So IS this a DGA Passion?

Idk, but I'll find out when it gets here, supposedly Thursday according to the UPS tracking. I'll end up comparing it against a Stalker/Passion/Leo3/FD/Pipeline (if I can find it) and I'll post my results here. I've also got a Banzai, Trevor Harbolt Breaker, and a Cat Sig Rift coming too. I just hope the Breaker is like I remember.

Cat's new driver is called the Vortex. It's a good name

If you look up Vortex in the inFlight guide web site, it's listed as a Discraft fairway driver.
Unfortunately, the tab to have info on the disc, date approved, does not pop up on my 'puter here at work lately. Makes me wonder if they are actually just the same disc?:confused:

If you look up Vortex in the inFlight guide web site, it's listed as a Discraft fairway driver.
Unfortunately, the tab to have info on the disc, date approved, does not pop up on my 'puter here at work lately. Makes me wonder if they are actually just the same disc?:confused:

I would call the old Vortex an OS mid rather than a fairway- rounded edge, slow, and all that.

They are not the same disc- just a decided lack of creativity in the name dept.

I would call the old Vortex an OS mid rather than a fairway- rounded edge, slow, and all that.

I wouldn't attribute it to a lack of creativity - that vortex hasn't been in production as long as I've been playing so it's likely an ancient mold that very few people even remember.

I also wouldn't use inflight as a guide for these things since it's not updated all that regularly, in my experience

Yeah, if the old Vortex is a fairway driver then I'm a bikini model. :| It was the first attempt by Discraft to make a Roc.

I wouldn't attribute it to a lack of creativity - that vortex hasn't been in production as long as I've been playing so it's likely an ancient mold that very few people even remember.

I also wouldn't use inflight as a guide for these things since it's not updated all that regularly, in my experience

Lots of words in the dictionary and only maybe 1000(?) of them are already disc names... plus I used to throw that "ancient" disc and I am merely old, not prehistoric. I'll stick with lack of creativity. :)

I was very confused by the Vortex being approved when a mold with the same name exists, however long out of production it may be.

I re-read the PDGA submission procedure:

"Manufacturers should review the PDGA Approved Discs
list to make sure their proposed disc name will not be too similar to a previously approved disc
made by another manufacturer. The PDGA does not referee name conflicts and expects the
affected manufacturers to resolve naming issues before a new disc can be approved."

Discraft manufactures DGA discs, so I figure they let them have the old name from their crappy 1990 mold.

I'd personally love to hear more about how the disc flew for people than naming 'controversy'. I won't get another good chance to throw until next weekend, but I'll be taking 2 Vortexes (vorticies?) and really trying to work them out if it's not super windy.

Just got my 2 protos, err, Vortex, in the mail yesterday. There's still too much snow out there to risk hucking them without ribbons, so really no point in even trying. But, who knows, maybe I'll take them out this weekend

Quake is slowly becoming my OS mid. Long history of OS mids, started with the Gator, lately using the Runway & the Quake.

The Vortex is an easy hyzer flip disc. Someone said it flies like a slower Sail and I'd agree with that. On its first throw flat it immediately turned into a roller. Great disc, easy distance and more controllable than a Sail. Definitely not a headwind disc.

I'm guessing Cat will throw the Pipeline alot. I don't think she will feel obligated to throw and feature the Vortex over other molds.

Unless I'm wrong...... the Vortex is a DGA lineup disc... not a "Catrina Line Disc".

I think....DGA took the Cat signing as an opportunity to release a new mold and use her to help sell it.

I think it could read a little confusing with her name on the proto... not sure what the details are exactly