• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Announcing Discmania Evolution and Active

I have to say the instinct in Neo plastic feels great. Very nice tack to it and a decent flex. I personally hate the feel of champion plastic from innova because it typically has a sheen to it that causes it to be slick and it is typically lacking in flex. Also really digging the stamp design on the instinct FWIW

New innova champ is mpre textured than the Jolly Launcher crap. As new runs filter onto shelves your opinion will likely change. Still not as good as old pearly pfn champ tho

New innova champ is mpre textured than the Jolly Launcher crap. As new runs filter onto shelves your opinion will likely change. Still not as good as old pearly pfn champ tho

Hard pearly champ is the best for sure. Indestructible too.

I actually find that Jolly Launcher is pretty gummy (not CE gummy, nothing is like that), at least the last few years worth was pretty gummy. I didn't have any problems gripping it in the summer which is when I start throwing more champion type plastics anyway.

Has anyone gotten around to putting with the new Guardian Lion yet? Curious how it feels and flies...

It is a very shallow putter and flat top. For putting, I am used to deeper putters so it was not for me. The plastic itself feels very grippy. It is not especially hard or soft plastic. I like it for forehand and back hand approaches. It is pretty understable and nice and straight. I would say it feels close to medium bt harp, so if you want understable harp/zone type of disc it is worth looking into

Thanks for the description! Any flight comparisons as far as approaches or drives are concerned? Are we talking neutral putter (classic aviar, judge, P1 etc) or understable putter (colt, maiden, swan etc)?

Thanks for the description! Any flight comparisons as far as approaches or drives are concerned? Are we talking neutral putter (classic aviar, judge, P1 etc) or understable putter (colt, maiden, swan etc)?

More neutral I would say. Pretty straight for 60 m shots and shorter. More overstable than really beat up p2 but more understable than fresh p2.

Anyone thrown the Sea Serpent?

Have some to try on their way but curious what other people have experienced.

Maybe should have said has anyone else thrown the Sea Serpent.

Smartass. (Edit: This was a sarcastic comment, felt the need to clarify. My initial question was poorly worded)

Last edited:
Hard pearly champ is the best for sure. Indestructible too.

I actually find that Jolly Launcher is pretty gummy (not CE gummy, nothing is like that), at least the last few years worth was pretty gummy. I didn't have any problems gripping it in the summer which is when I start throwing more champion type plastics anyway.

Most like the some of early gummy Champion runs or late CE is the Glow plastic. In a in the bag for Juliana Korvair I told her in 2017 that she needed to get the Glow Champion for the Valkyrie as it feels like the old gummy champion and she replied to me and others that commented to me saying the same thing that she would try the plastic when her New old stock of gummy Champion ran out as she got some of the Valkyrie Glow Champion discs. That old gummy Champion was indestructible due to the high elasticity of the plastic. My gummy Champion Valkyrie was in the bag from late 2005 until late 2016 when the disc turned from blue to odd blue green from a yellow Star Valkyrie from 2009 Ice Bowl being in front of the disc in my bag, odd the plastic on the Star Valkyrie stayed fine no color bleed back to the Star disc.

Can't wait to hear the differences between an explorer and instinct.

Dellwood Disc Golf posted a side by side comparison on Facebook if you're on there. To me, the curve of the bottom lip is deeper on the Instinct. The PLH looks the slightest, tiniest bit lower on the Explorer as well.

I've heard that the FD2 (V3!) isn't the beefier FD that people were expecting. It's almost like Discmania really wanted Innova to mold them a Teebird type disc but they just couldn't get it from them. Discmania had to branch out & get Latitude to make it for them with the Instinct.

I've heard that the FD2 (V3!) isn't the beefier FD that people were expecting. It's almost like Discmania really wanted Innova to mold them a Teebird type disc but they just couldn't get it from them. Discmania had to branch out & get Latitude to make it for them with the Instinct.

I love the FD2v3 and the ones I own certainly have more beef than my FDs. Not going to bother checking out the Instinct bc it seems like overlap for my bag at this point. FD2v3 knocked my Teebirds out.

Yeah it's not a 2nd run FD. It's more broken in eagle X like

I just ordered one hoping it's a Gazelle

I've been throwing one, and Gazelle is a pretty good comp - it is stable, and has reliable fade. For me it is kind of a tweener between fairway driver and mid.

They have a pretty thick, blunt edge that leaves me to believe they will season well.

Definitely my most used of the 3 Active discs I've tried (Sea Serpent and Spring Ox).

So I threw all the Active molds, and here is my quick and dirty thoughts.

* Guardian Lion: Pretty standard 3/3/0/1 putter, flat, flies well, putts well. Overall good putter, but also doesn't do anything spectacularly knew.

* Spring Ox: Good approach disc, less stable Zone/Harp, maybe more JB Zone land. It has its place and is a good disc to get if you dont want to throw a JB Zone.

* Spirit Fox: This had a lot less glide than I thought it would. My throws never got that far. I wouldn't know where I would throw this over similar discs in that speed/stability range.

* Sun Crow: Super understable. This thing went into a roller even on a hard hyzer. Could be a great beginner disc.

* Sea Serpent: Honestly, flew like every other 11/5/-2/2 disc. Tern, Wave, Renegade, etc. Got some turn, faded back out, good distance. Felt like it flew more 10 speed over 11 speed, but still go some good distance.

Active Baseline Plastic: Honestly feels good, more textured and grippy than most other base plsatics. More akin to a grippier Electron Firm. Hold up pretty well, hit a few trees and no dings or flight changes yet.

Name changes??

Anyone know why they changed the names on the Sun Crow (now Sun Bird) and the Guardian Lion (now Tiger Warrior)?

And I know I'm just being salty, but does anyone else continue to be disappointed in Discmania for consistently underestimating demand for stock molds and in turn, being out of stock for an extended period of time? It may drive the "hype" for the kiddos, but I just want to have the option to buy more when needed instead of having to stockpile for the impending drought. /rant