• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Spoken like a true consumer. "Logic"? Sounds like insanity / suicide (for the company) to me. Do the math...
Bead vs no bead
Deep vs shallow
Sharp vs blunt
Etc, etc, etc.
...for each of 2 - 14 'speed' catagories...
...and God knows how many 'stability ratings'
= WAY too many SKUs for any 1 company to fiscally handle.
But you can dream!

By logical, I meant laying out the molds they were creating in a logical way by attribute and striving to fill all the available slots by attribute, rather than just "oh here's another driver with the same flight ratings as several other of our drivers and no way to differentiate it" which appears to be the strategy of many disc companies today.

I did NOT mean logical in terms of making good business sense. I realize that molds are quite expensive (not to mention requiring R&D time), and releasing too many discs at once is liable to confuse consumers and all that.

By logical, I meant laying out the molds they were creating in a logical way by attribute and striving to fill all the available slots by attribute, rather than just "oh here's another driver with the same flight ratings as several other of our drivers and no way to differentiate it" which appears to be the strategy of many disc companies today.

I did NOT mean logical in terms of making good business sense. I realize that molds are quite expensive (not to mention requiring R&D time), and releasing too many discs at once is liable to confuse consumers and all that.

Okay, that's sounds "(more) logical"! ;)
I'm guessing that (approach) was kind of what MVP tried to do, but with (IMO) limited success. This was probably due to what a company 'thinks' a certain set of specs will produce (i.e., how the disc will fly) ends up different than it really does...and thus they end up with unequal 'spacing' between their models.

The Shryke disc by Innova Discs was PDGA Approved as of 11-14-2016.
"The Shryke is an easy to throw, very long range driver for a wide variety of players. A mild high speed turn puts the Shryke in glide mode, which along with its high aerodynamic speed, give it incredible distance. The low speed fade is also mild, which makes it easy to keep on the fairway. The Shryke is similar to our popular Tern but faster and slightly more high speed stable. Flight Numbers: 13, 6, -2, 2 GStar and 13, 6,-1, 2 Star/Champion" - by Innova Discs

shryke-pdga.jpg

I'm thinking I might try one of these at some point, assuming it doesn't get universally panned by other people that throw it. I'm not sure exactly what it would do for me that my GStar Destroyers don't do already, but it seems worth a shot. If the Star Shryke flies like a GStar Destroyer (and doesn't feel awful in the hand), then it might work well for me.

Does anyone have a Groove that flies -2?

I only ever owned 1, but it definitely didn't fly -2. It was pretty overstable. When I got it up to speed, I had some very long throws with it on flex lines. I'd say it threw maybe -1 in that case. If you weren't getting it past 350, I'd say it was probably a 0 though. Its turn was very speed sensitive in that respect, which I guess is always the case, but it seems so to a higher degree with that disc.

Don't get me wrong, I like Innova. I just think this disc is unneeded in their lineup. Innova most certainly has a complete lineup of discs. I just think there are other bigger gaps that could have been filled in the stability spectrum. I really wish Innova would make a Zone copy. I really want a beadless OS putter/mid tweener from Innova. Or they could just release a wider variety of plastics in the molds they already have.

Totally agree, with this one exception: the Shryke will be 'needed' and just fine... if Innova gets rid of the Groove.

Why get rid of the Groove? I bet it's one of Innova's hottest sellers lol.

Does anyone have a Groove that flies -2?

Last 2 Grooves I've thrown were probably more like +1. You couldn't flip them if you wanted to. NO distance to speak of. Even if you anny-ed them hard they'd hyzer out shortly after.

Its a crap mold. If Innova's looking to cank a mold(s), I'd start with it or the Dominator.

On a side note, I threw a G* Colossus for the first time today. I liked it a lot. It comes out of the hand laser fast, noticeably faster than a Boss. Glide could have been a bit better, but it still ended up going as far as anything else in my bag. Didn't have all the side to side movement the Katana does either, nor the sharp dumpy fade at the end of flight. I'd like to try a domey champion Colossus.

I have 4 Colossus', and the one thing they have in common is they all bomb.

Airforce Champ and Proto GStar are stable bombers.
Star and CFR Champ are understable bombers.

I dont care about the inconsistency particularly, as they are all crazy long on different lines/angles. None are so understable that they burn early or drift right forever in a breeze.

And yes, I definitely intend to pick up a Shriek. Not everything needs to make my bag, but if I had my druthers I would try literally everything (Kellogs Age of Ultron flyers still on my disc shelves for instance... overstable af!)

So I got some throws in with the shryke today. For reference I max out at 400~ feet of power. The shryke is very close to a cannon or world, probably closer to the world. I have to throw the disc on hyzer because out of the hand it immediately starts to turn right. Had trouble throwing it on low lines as it would just turn into the ground. Has to be given some height so it can pan out. But its pretty much like a broken in world. Its also max weight.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3096699&postcount=58
(Can someone tell me if this worked for quoting. My regular "quote" button hasn't been working)

But to answer that(about the innova zone copy)...pig?
There's a few reasons I don't like the Pig. I don't like throwing sidearm with it because of the thumtrac. Premium plastic Pigs aren't in regular production. The Champion Pigs I have seen are really domey. I like Zones better because they come out flat (or puddle topped), premium plastic is in regular production & there's no thumtrac. I just wish Innova/Discmania/Millennium/Hyzer Bomb would make something close to a Zone or Harp.

DDx, D3, Bolt ...

I think the DDx, D3 and Bolt were filling the gap in the Innova line-up.
So now comes the Shryke to prevent people from buying non-Innova
discs.

The GStar Tern cannot be thrown into a wind. The GStar Boss cannot
provide distance for players who don't throw over 350 feet. The
GStar Dominator has no glide and goes hard left for many people.

So the Shryke is a faster Beast and faster Valkyrie. It looks like just
what I need. I hope it is. I'm tired of being disappointed. I'm tired
of all the hype about what Paul McBeth and Avery Jenkins throw.

Thanks to Discmania, Prodigy and Latitude 64 for putting pressure on
Innova to make something for people who cannot throw 500 feet.

I just wish Innova/Discmania/Millennium/Hyzer Bomb would make something close to a Zone or Harp.

I commented on this in the Discmania thread, specifically about the P3, and the reply was that they might tweak the P3 to be more overstable. That would make the P3 more like the Harp and more like what you're looking for. So let's hope that tweak happens...

It is big rimmed. So I think that means high arm speed or big enough hands to handle the rim.

Shryke looks exactly like the bolt. Nose is a little more blunt, numbers are exactly the same. Need some throwing time to compare. ....

Shryke looks exactly like the bolt. Nose is a little more blunt, numbers are exactly the same. Need some throwing time to compare. ....

Bolts are rough for me. I really try to like them, and every once in a while will get that miraculous line that goes about 450'. However, most of the time the Bolt flips and never even tries to come back.

Even with a pretty steep hzyer release the Bolt will often go right and never come back.

I'd hope the Shrike has a bit more late fade.

Latest posts