• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Slight bump: the Shryke is sold out at DGC and Infinite. So obviously you guys and gals have been buying them. So, how is the Shryke doing for y'all?

Mine should be waiting for me when I get home this evening. Hopefully will get a chance to take it out for a spin this weekend and report back.

Threw mine a few times at the course yesterday. It's such a long flying disc, I wasn't able to throw it much but here are my first impressions. 171g Gstar Shryke:

Very mellow flight. Right out of my hand on a flat throw it turns slowly, so so so slowly, and then fades back just a tad quicker at the end. It looks like it's flying in slow motion, until you realize it's flown about a mile haha.

On a pretty steep downhill throw, it turned right the whole way almost when thrown on a slight hyzer. This was my first throw with it and I was expecting it to be more stable than that even downhill. A bit more hyzer and it would have glided for days for sure.

I have a vulcan which is another speed 13 disc, and the shryke is much easier to grip. It feels more like a speed 12 in my hand.

I can't wait to throw it some more.

So I got my GStar Shryke yesterday but I haven't had a chance to throw it yet. I did take a couple comparison pics with a GStar Destroyer here (Red Shryke, Orange Destroyer): https://goo.gl/photos/LHcEpZeJoAmaKqHp6

It feels VERY similar in the hand both in rim width and depth. If you blindfolded me and handed me each of them in turn I don't think I could tell you which is which. The rim width on this to both my eye and in my hand is identical to the GStar Destroyer. I seem to recall a while back that someone measured a bunch of Star Destroyers with calipers and found that they were all very close to 2.3 cm which is also the (PDGA measured) rim width on the Shryke so this makes sense.

Anyway, the only really discernible difference to me is that the Shryke has a slightly lower wing and is slightly blunter. It will be interesting to see the difference in flight.

Bought a first run green 175 shryke with no dome just to try out. My first throw was into moderate to mod/high headwind on a 60 degree hyzer angle and it was pretty hilarious. Threw it high watched it flip up ride to the right then faded back gently for 375. For funsies i held it on a vertical hyzer to watch it do the same thing and land 375.

Definitely a tailwind bomber if it had some dome to it.

Got to throw the shryke. I'm a bolt thrower with 400 feet 1 out of 10 throws, so not a big arm. Easy to throw, good distance like the bolt, both discs to get good flight need you to pay attention to technique, hyzer line 90 % power max. Can't say there's enough difference between the two to switch to the shryke. Nice disc though and in a pinch I would throw it.

SHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYKE!!!!! Groove?

Sounds flippier than the Grooves I've thrown. I understand there were flippy Grooves out there, but I never threw one. All the Grooves I threw were much closer to Destroyer numbers (-1 or maybe even -0.5). Of course the inconsistency in stability was one of the big problems with the Groove. If these turn out to be somewhat consistent (even consistently flippy) then they'll be better than the Groove by default.

Anybody else digging the stamp on the Star Shryke on the Innova dealer page? I really like it. They don't usually put the animal picture on the Star plastic versions of discs; I wonder if they're going to do this for all new molds going forward or if it's a LE stamp or something.

http://dealer.innovadiscs.com/

Maybe it means they aren't planning on ever doing a DX version of the Shryke, which would make sense given it's already a pretty understable high speed driver. They've never done DX Terns after all, which means we don't have any cool stock Tern stamp artwork which is a shame.

Anybody else digging the stamp on the Star Shryke on the Innova dealer page? I really like it. They don't usually put the animal picture on the Star plastic versions of discs; I wonder if they're going to do this for all new molds going forward or if it's a LE stamp or something.

http://dealer.innovadiscs.com/

Looks fine. My guess would be an LE stamp before going back to standard Star stampings. Maybe they wanted everyone to know what a shryke was; ergo, the special stamp.

Threw mine a few times at the course yesterday. It's such a long flying disc, I wasn't able to throw it much but here are my first impressions. 171g Gstar Shryke:

Very mellow flight. Right out of my hand on a flat throw it turns slowly, so so so slowly, and then fades back just a tad quicker at the end. It looks like it's flying in slow motion, until you realize it's flown about a mile haha.

On a pretty steep downhill throw, it turned right the whole way almost when thrown on a slight hyzer. This was my first throw with it and I was expecting it to be more stable than that even downhill. A bit more hyzer and it would have glided for days for sure.

I have a vulcan which is another speed 13 disc, and the shryke is much easier to grip. It feels more like a speed 12 in my hand.

I can't wait to throw it some more.

Did you park it or even overshoot Hole #3 at Sertoma? :thmbup:

Got some throws in with the Shryke yesterday. I'm not sure why it's listed as speed 13. The rim width is definitely close to a 12 speed disc. It does seem to come out fast and get where it's going pretty quick though so I guess it's like the Colossus feeling fast and receiving a 14 speed rating when the rim width is the same as a 13 speed disc. I don't know.
As far as flight goes it has a lot of high speed turn when thrown flat. Maybe the Star/Champ version will turn out more stable but I would give the Gstar Shryke a -2.5 or even -3 HSS. I was throwing in some wind so it could be a solid -2/2 in calm conditions. Absolutely not a driver to throw in a headwind. Playing with hyzer angles was easy enough and the disc flew consistent on various lines. As long as you give it enough height it will definitely fade back though and the 2 fade seems fair. I don't think higher power players will get much out of the disc they can't get elsewhere but it could be competition with the Tern or DDx in some people's bags. If you wish there was a Tern with a deeper rim the Shryke is your disc. It goes far with ease. I think it's true what Dave D said in the Shryke video about a 350' thrower pushing 400'. I know a lot of people say "just another high speed Innova driver" but it could be a game changer for some. Definitely worth a try if your looking for added distance.

Last edited:
Did you park it or even overshoot Hole #3 at Sertoma? :thmbup:

Haha, I actually was talking about hole 9 (previously hole 10) at Foothills in Easley.

Haven't thrown it on hole 3 at sertoma yet. I could definitely overthrow if I tried to bomb it though. But with some finesse, it could be great on that hole. Plenty of room for it to work it's way there.

Haha, I actually was talking about hole 9 (previously hole 10) at Foothills in Easley.

Haven't thrown it on hole 3 at sertoma yet. I could definitely overthrow if I tried to bomb it though. But with some finesse, it could be great on that hole. Plenty of room for it to work it's way there.

that hole 9 at Easley, must be the one that plays downhill over that big soccer field, I had a good throw there the other day with my Krait, It went surprisingly farther than my Renegade........possibly the wind was a factor

We should throw a round sometime, I was at Walhalla this afternoon again, I'm a tall skinny dude with a red Innova Hero Backpack, I'm always trying to learn things from more experienced players, I guess I should play sunday afternoon random dubs up there, donate money for the good players and all that jazz

Threw the G-Star Shryke (170) several times in a tournament today. It definitely got me a couple of birdies on holes that I needed some easy speed and penetration up low ceiling fairways. Aired it out once or twice with flat to slight hyzer releases and it definitely has potential for relatively easy distance.

I'm a broken down hack with a puss arm, so it'll work for me. I don't like GStar much, but this one has nice grip. Ordered some Star Shyrykes from DGU. I think it's a good disc that has a chance to be widely used, much like the Tern.

Been doing some field work, and really liking this disc so far.

Is it much different than others in this range of flight #'s ? no.. not really. I do like G star plastic though and it feels good in my hand and I am wondering how it will do when broken in a bit. I'll bag it and throw it as much as I can to find out. But If you like Gstar plastic and similar molds, give it a shot. it does seem to be just a tad more overstable than my Gstar Tern and a bit less stable than the Colossus.

Maybe touchy, nothing quite like my experiences with the Groove, but I am digging it!

Latest posts