• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tesla

Tesla question:

I tried board-flat 150s proton Teslas years ago. They were great in headwinds, but otherwise too beefy for my noodle arm. But after a couple of recent windy rounds at open courses I realized that I have nothing in the bag even remotely resembling a reliable driver for strong headwinds.

For reference, 150s Neutron Wave and Star TL are perfectly fine for me in mild headwinds. Yes, I am a habitual hyzer-tosser.

So if I was seeking a 150s Tesla on the less-beefy end of the spectrum, what would work best? Fission? Plasma? How does one know whether a Plasma Tesla would be new and mild vs. older and Firebird-like? Or whether a Fission Tesla would be conversely old and mild vs. new and beefier? Do I look for more dome, less dome, depends on plastic? :confused:

It has been kinda weird lately to have to worry about run consistency with MVP/Axiom discs. I hope they have that worked out going forward. :)

Thanks!

Tesla question:

I tried board-flat 150s proton Teslas years ago. They were great in headwinds, but otherwise too beefy for my noodle arm. But after a couple of recent windy rounds at open courses I realized that I have nothing in the bag even remotely resembling a reliable driver for strong headwinds.

For reference, 150s Neutron Wave and Star TL are perfectly fine for me in mild headwinds. Yes, I am a habitual hyzer-tosser.

So if I was seeking a 150s Tesla on the less-beefy end of the spectrum, what would work best? Fission? Plasma? How does one know whether a Plasma Tesla would be new and mild vs. older and Firebird-like? Or whether a Fission Tesla would be conversely old and mild vs. new and beefier? Do I look for more dome, less dome, depends on plastic? :confused:

It has been kinda weird lately to have to worry about run consistency with MVP/Axiom discs. I hope they have that worked out going forward. :)

Thanks!

In my Tesla experience, flat=overstable, regardless of plastic. I LOVE the lab2nd CN run that are so very flat. 8/10 of a Fireball. The Fission Teslas I have thrown were the least stable, like a Lift in some regards. The Protons are more HSS and LSS. All of this is at max weight but I'd expect it to translate pretty well. A Neutron Wrath might also be worth a shot, if you'd rather miss on the less beefy side.

In my Tesla experience, flat=overstable, regardless of plastic. I LOVE the lab2nd CN run that are so very flat. 8/10 of a Fireball. The Fission Teslas I have thrown were the least stable, like a Lift in some regards. The Protons are more HSS and LSS. All of this is at max weight but I'd expect it to translate pretty well. A Neutron Wrath might also be worth a shot, if you'd rather miss on the less beefy side.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated! Definitely going to give the Tesla another try, and I will look at the Wrath again.

I know the Wrath was supposed to fly like a worn-in Tesla, but I tried a low-weight Neutron Wrath when the came out and my experience was the opposite (others had the same complaint at the time). Maybe this is a molding issue that has been worked out.

Thanks again!

Agree, flatness and plh seem most important within the same weight.

In the most recent run fissions seem to be coming out flatter and higher, while plasmas get some dome and lower plh. As far as I have seen, this is a reversal from most Tesla runs. My older domey fissions are a definitely more US then these runs.

S -> OS 150 Fission > 165 Plasma > 167 Fission

Haven't thrown a 150 class plasma, the fresh 165 does not really turn but holds straight for a long time.

150 class fission teslas are really nice though, the weight seems to balance well with the flatness and OS profile to push straight for a while but resist wind. Its one of my most-thrown discs (after older 170 fission).

Tesla question:

Does it have to be speed 9? I usually toss a Photon in my bag for windy days.

Does it have to be speed 9? I usually toss a Photon in my bag for windy days.

Photon is a possibility, as is a Volt. But slower stable-to-OS discs usually work better for me.

Plus, I did have a couple of magical throws with the Tesla back when they first came out. :D

It is also possible that my throw was sloppy when I was playing in the wind, and if I clean things up I can stick with the discs I have. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response, much appreciated! Definitely going to give the Tesla another try, and I will look at the Wrath again.

I know the Wrath was supposed to fly like a worn-in Tesla, but I tried a low-weight Neutron Wrath when the came out and my experience was the opposite (others had the same complaint at the time). Maybe this is a molding issue that has been worked out.

Thanks again!

Yeah the retooling is a bit of a learning curve. I will echo what MTB3 said....

I've got a bag load of fresh teslas..

Fresh 158 plasma is a nice ride, veryshapeable and decent in mild headwinds, -1.5 turn for sure.

There's cardboard/streaky fission which is a bit hard from the 2nd to most recent run, there's still a few floating around they are a nice stable but not too os run. Somewhere around -1.25 to -1 turn.

New fission are softer with smoother colour, they are more stable. Very OS but not like OG plasma stable, more like a -1 turn (or less) than the -1.5 they are tagged.

Neutron still seems pretty beefy and they aren't available in lighter weights.

I played yesterday in a mild/ moderate headwind, the 164 fission tesla (2nd to last run) responded well, if it was blowing harder though it would have been problematic. In still conditions I find it beefy. I wish I'd had a new fission with me to test drive alongside.

The new wrath is supposed to be true to numbers.

Personally I'm thinking about a 155 neutron fireball.

Damn I got to go back out to work.. I guess that's descriptive enough. :D

The new wrath is supposed to be true to numbers.

They are very nice. I don't know what old Wraths (or any Tesla) is like so I can't compare.

I'm bagging an Eclipse Insanity in the Wrath spot, but the discs are very similar. Straight with a nice forward fading finish, with the Insanity being about 10' longer.

I'll have to grab a Telsa just to see what they are about. And the new Terra ... and ... :)

Latest posts