• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Reptilian Disc Golf Raptor: Overstable Control Driver

Review Video

Well, here you go. Raptor review in glorious HD.

You'll see it's pretty darn overstable. Holds it's own against the Banshee with no issues. Absolutely excels at huge, sweeping hyzers. By far my favorite shot to throw with the Raptor. I had issues with throwing it forehand...I'm not a great forehander, but the combination of the rim, bottom tooling and plastic blend just did not work for me. I saw a lot of flutter and nose up flight. Obviously, that's my fault, but it's worth noting.

I won't be bagging the Raptor...yet. Once it's PDGA approved, I can easily see it in my winter bag in the OS mega-utility role. It does a great thumber (when you don't almost slip and bust your ass...see the video)

What's the diameter and rim width on the Raptor, Jamie?

Trying to see where it will fit in my bag speed-wise. Seems like it would be around 20mm rim width, similar to a Axiom Wrath or the Firebird.

I'd love to see this kick the FB out of my bag, but I almost use the FB exclusively for tomahawks and thumbers. But if it can take away some of the Tesla/Wrath shots, I may have a use for it immediately.

The rim is about the same diameter as the PD, which is a Firebird rim. Its OS enough to cover your Firebird type shots for sure. But, even with the same diameter, it's not going to go as far as an FB unless we are talking about the true FAF Firebirds. In the video you can see me throwing a Banshee farther than the Raptor. Part of that is I've been throwing Banshees for a decade and a half, so I'm used to them, but the Raptor isn't going to boom out on distance...

...unless it's on those high hyzer lines. Such a pretty looking shot and I was having no problem getting appreciable distance with the Raptor, given enough speed and height.

Great OH disc as well. Thumbers, anyway.

I've found that the Raptor picks up a little bit more D as it is seasoning in.

AndyJB is correct in that this plastic does scuff and mark up quickly. I love having seasoned looking & feeling discs so I actually like that it shows use.

That said, the plastic is supremely tough vs. Nicks and warps. I'm loving it.

The Raptor has be submitted for PDGA Approval. Should hear back from them in a week or two.

Any Raptor throwers finding this disc to be stealing shots from other molds? I was bagging a Resistor & Fireball previously and, despite clear bias, I am not missing either one of them.

The Raptor powers down really well for those short, Resistor-esque flicks but also powers up and pushes well like the Fireball. I am finding that nearly all of my OS driver shots are being attempted and accomplished with the Raptor.

blEG5bE.png

PDGA Approval should be coming down within the week.
I really look forward to hearing some reviews on everyone is getting along with our debut driver!

Andy's analysis of the Raptor is spot on.

It oddly doesn't possess any distance potential on a straight line drive but given some hyzer and height..it really pushes.

If you look at the profile of the mold, it is kinda unique in this field. Most FB's, Pred's, etc. have a very high PLH whereas the Raptor's isn't that high. The Raptors beef is caused mostly from the super concave wing which in some odd physics world makes the disc push a bit more when given a heavy combo of hyzer and height.

With the debut of the Raptor I am finding myself reaching for it more and more. It powers down so well and bc of the plastic flexibility, I am able to throw both mean skip shots and sticky spike hyzers. If you want a mold that is on par with a FB in the beef department but features a different skill set and a unique shape, the Raptor might be a great option for you!

Andy's analysis of the Raptor is spot on.

It oddly doesn't possess any distance potential on a straight line drive but given some hyzer and height..it really pushes.

If you look at the profile of the mold, it is kinda unique in this field. Most FB's, Pred's, etc. have a very high PLH whereas the Raptor's isn't that high. The Raptors beef is caused mostly from the super concave wing which in some odd physics world makes the disc push a bit more when given a heavy combo of hyzer and height.

With the debut of the Raptor I am finding myself reaching for it more and more. It powers down so well and bc of the plastic flexibility, I am able to throw both mean skip shots and sticky spike hyzers. If you want a mold that is on par with a FB in the beef department but features a different skill set and a unique shape, the Raptor might be a great option for you!

So true. This thing is pretty flaccid when thrown flat. I bag speed 7's that outdrive the Raptor. However, give this thing some hyzer and sail it up in the air... MY GOD! It sails forever when thrown high! I mean, this disc will fly about 250' for me when thrown flat, but JUDAS PRIEST! Throw a spike hyzer and it goes 100' further! It's crazy! I've never had a disc with characteristics anywhere near this. It does one thing, and it does it better than any other disc I've ever seen. Firebirds and Felons cannot compare. This thing LOVES to see clouds and keep going.

Throw high, throw at angle, watch it take to the sky and blow your mind. I've never had any disc that throws spike hyzers this well. It's incredible.

Cheers.

This description reminds me of a viper/moab. Old school feel and flight.

This description reminds me of a viper/moab. Old school feel and flight.

Yep. And the flex lines... Rides out the anny and finishes with a long smooth fade. This disc likes being thrown on an angle.

Used the Bigger Bird release as an excuse to add one of the x-outs to my cart. Have seen the Daredevil versions in the shop but never thrown them.

Pretty sure there is a spot open in my bag for it.

The Raptor continues to cement itself as the most reached for disc in my bag when I'm deep in the brambles.
My most thrown Raptor is also starting to develop a little bit more wiggle in the middle of its flight before it fights back.

Is this mold winning over any other players?

Is this mold winning over any other players?

Not really.

Scale=Awesome
Serpent=Also awesome
Raptor=Meh.

It's unique, I'll give it that. Threw it a bunch at league and last week during some casual rounds, but I'm just not digging it. It does one thing (big hyzer) very well, but the rest is already covered by other, more familiar discs in my bag.

I did use one of my three Raptors as a CTP prize at league a few weeks ago. I'll ask the winner how it's flying for him. He's a big forehand and overhand guy, so I think the Raptor will be more up his alley than mine.

Not really.

Scale=Awesome
Serpent=Also awesome
Raptor=Meh.

It's unique, I'll give it that. Threw it a bunch at league and last week during some casual rounds, but I'm just not digging it. It does one thing (big hyzer) very well, but the rest is already covered by other, more familiar discs in my bag.

I did use one of my three Raptors as a CTP prize at league a few weeks ago. I'll ask the winner how it's flying for him. He's a big forehand and overhand guy, so I think the Raptor will be more up his alley than mine.

I can definitely see that.
It doesn't do anything different that a Pred/FB/Felon couldn't.

That said, I really like the shape of the disc. I was always a big fan of the OOP Savage by Gateway (which was almost tweaked to bring the Raptor to life) and I feel like this disc is similar to the Savage in shape. It almost feels as if this were a Gateway designed disc with a huge wing scoop & mild dome.

I know I am biased but I really think this is a great entry into the crowded field.
You surely won't ever find a Raptor that is less OS than the other. They're all from the same run! :D

And you know, part of it might be a side-effect of RDG's previous success. The Scale and Serpent were knock-outs, while the Raptor is average. Even the Sobek was a great disc for what it was.

I think the Raptor will have a tougher time replacing people's go-to's like the aforementioned Predators and Firebirds (or, in my case, the Banshee) whereas I bagged the Scale right away because it filled a gap I didn't even know I had.

And you know, part of it might be a side-effect of RDG's previous success. The Scale and Serpent were knock-outs, while the Raptor is average. Even the Sobek was a great disc for what it was.

I think the Raptor will have a tougher time replacing people's go-to's like the aforementioned Predators and Firebirds (or, in my case, the Banshee) whereas I bagged the Scale right away because it filled a gap I didn't even know I had.

I would be more disparaged by the slow adoption of the mold if I had designed the mold components.

The Raptor was more of an opportunity that I took instead of an organic design like the Scale. It likely won't ever be a huge seller for us but I know that myself, and a few other golfers will likely be slinging them into headwinds for years to come ;)

Not so sure this one is winning me over. I got one of the x-outs and have been throwing it a bit. I can agree with everything that has been said. I dumped Firebirds because they are just a bit too much for me and these seem to be about the same.

The one thing I did like was how anti-skip these things are. I play mostly in grass courses and these things stick better than my putters do it seems like. Even OH shots seem to stick to the ground like glue.

The part of my game that stinks the most is strong hyzers, so I don't get much more distance with these on a hyzer as opposed to flat.

I like the plastic and I think it is a solid disc, just doubt it will take the place of any of my Banshee's. It might stick around for some weird shots around corners I need to stick though. Time will tell.