• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoking BANNED at 2011 Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, this has nothing to do with going a few hrs without a smoke- I do that at work everyday. Its about who I thought pdga was. I thought it was a grassroots, player based org, trying to help bring together the many small dg communities.
I feel they are now saying that the large majority is no longer good enough to be seen by the new folks they wish to attract (like they're watching anyways). The e cigg, chew, and strict enforcement of even having smokes in your bag is way too much and shows its all about image.
Its about principal here, not ciggs. I'd be just as upset if they said no tye dye anything.

Its the "first they took away.....then there was no one left to care when they came for us".

I own every worlds from 2001- current. Smoking never seemed to be an issue.
So is it the spectators we are worried about here?

are you telling other smokers to suck it up and deal with it, or me to deal with your smoking? I don't have a problem with smoking, even no the course. My problem is people whining about the rule acting like they have been violated, "WHAAA I can not go 3 hours without a cigarette!"

I'm definitely not directing it toward you. And I'm not just singling out other smokers, i posted that to anyone whos making a big enough deal about this to get made fun of.

To me, this has nothing to do with going a few hrs without a smoke- I do that at work everyday. Its about who I thought pdga was. I thought it was a grassroots, player based org, trying to help bring together the many small dg communities.
I feel they are now saying that the large majority is no longer good enough to be seen by the new folks they wish to attract (like they're watching anyways). The e cigg, chew, and strict enforcement of even having smokes in your bag is way too much and shows its all about image.
Its about principal here, not ciggs. I'd be just as upset if they said no tye dye anything.

Its the "first they took away.....then there was no one left to care when they came for us".

I own every worlds from 2001- current. Smoking never seemed to be an issue.
So is it the spectators we are worried about here?

Well, when the cameras are rolling, do you really expect to see someone light up? And even if they do catch it, I'm sure they're gonna edit it out... :doh:

So then what the big deal???

As stated on probably every other page in this and the other hundred threads on this subject, disc golf is moving into a place where marketing and sponsorship opportunities are becoming available. But as the sport stands, Joe and Jane Everybody hear frisbee golf and think hippies, stoners, drunks, party. Sure. But what's fun at home during league and casual play, isn't the same thing that helps keep us Professional, hence PDGA. hey are the GOVERNING body over all things sanctioned disc golf, end of story. If you don't like where the sport is going, don't renew amd dont play sanctioned..

I don't understand what "platform" the PDGA is basing this ban off of. If they banned E-cigs then its not the second hand smoke. Asking players to smoke in designated spots or to pocket butts under penalty of DQ seams reasonable.

I smoke, never throw butts on the course and don't mind going without for a tournament if they ask us not to smoke but I wish they had a basis for the ban. Makes about as much sense as banning anyone from drinking Gatorade during play.

I think non-smokers have fooled themselves into thinking smokers are the only ones that complain about smoking. The only time you hear a smoker say anything about the matter is in retort to a non-smoker bitching,whining or trying to make a point.

Don't know if this has been mentioned already? But they will be playing during the height of the fire season out here and a few years back they had a fire rip through that area and take out quite a few homes. Now I'm not saying that's why the ban is in place, but it's a good idea. We've had a very wet winter so the hills will be full of fuel and it should be nice and dry by then. So it's a good idea imo.
Also, I'm not sure if other places are going through this, but there has been quite a surge of anti disc golf yahoo's trying to get some of the local courses shut down and De La is one of them. So we have to watch are P's and Q's for some time and if it means giving up smoking for a few hours, so be it.

P.S. Not that it matters much, but I'm a smoker.

The platform probably originated with California and the wildfires and their proposition 215. That's where I would look first and then thy just carried it cigs and down to ams. Oh well. I'm over it. Are you?

I don't understand how the PDGA can be viewed as a "grassroots" movement. After all, they are the Professional Disc Golf Association. They represent disc golf as a legitimate sport to the general public. Local clubs, weekly leagues - there's your grassroots. You want to smoke and drink and disc with your friends, join or start your own club. The PDGA has moved beyond that, and their function is to progress the sport in a professional manner.

I don't understand how the PDGA can be viewed as a "grassroots" movement. After all, they are the Professional Disc Golf Association. They represent disc golf as a legitimate sport to the general public. Local clubs, weekly leagues - there's your grassroots. You want to smoke and drink and disc with your friends, join or start your own club. The PDGA has moved beyond that, and their function is to progress the sport in a professional manner.

Bingo.

You know most of the drug dealers in your state?

Touche`

If disc golf is ever going to get a real image and more corporate sponsorship and treated like a real sport than the pdga is correct in doing whatever they can to clean up the image of the sport. This opens the sport to a broader audience including schools and younger crowd and more money that can come from advertisement and generalized appeal from a reformed image.

Its a load of crap but I can see how this can benefit the sport of disc golf overall. :thmbup:

And everyone has a choice or not to be part of the pdga.

To me, this has nothing to do with going a few hrs without a smoke- I do that at work everyday. Its about who I thought pdga was. I thought it was a grassroots, player based org, trying to help bring together the many small dg communities

Oh ok, so now at least it's understood that you never knew what the PDGA did. It's not that they changed - it's that you didn't understand what a professional sports organization does.

Again, Church.

[ gatoradeQUOTE=Benak56;860640]I don't understand what "platform" the PDGA is basing this ban off of. If they banned E-cigs then its not the second hand smoke. Asking players to smoke in designated spots or to pocket butts under penalty of DQ seams reasonable.

I smoke, never throw butts on the course and don't mind going without for a tournament if they ask us not to smoke but I wish they had a basis for the ban. Makes about as much sense as banning anyone from drinking Gatorade during play.

I think non-smokers have fooled themselves into thinking smokers are the only ones that complain about smoking. The only time you hear a smoker say anything about the matter is in retort to a non-smoker bitching,whining or trying to make a point.[/QUOTE]

Minors can drink gatorade not smoke. There will be young players who look up to the other players. It is an image thing

I don't understand what "platform" the PDGA is basing this ban off of. If they banned E-cigs then its not the second hand smoke. Asking players to smoke in designated spots or to pocket butts under penalty of DQ seams reasonable.

I think non-smokers have fooled themselves into thinking smokers are the only ones that complain about smoking. The only time you hear a smoker say anything about the matter is in retort to a non-smoker bitching,whining or trying to make a point.

Minors can drink gatorade not smoke. There will be young players who look up to the other players. It is an image thing

If anyone wanted to make some money, they should probably stock up on Nicoderm CQ step 1 and Nicorette gum, and set up shop by the vendors. Or you could be waiting by a tee pad on the course and sell it like the beer girls @ ball golf courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts