• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10 Must-Have Beginner Discs

anyways. in no normal world is the Ion a good putter for beginners.

period.

I throw wizards, and I dont think its a good putter for beginners. not neutral enough.

Pretty much any putter is good for beginners, except the most overstable ones. I started with a KC Aviar, then Wiz, now Ion. But that's just my opinion. Yours seems to vary.

Now if you're talking about a neutral putter for teaching good form, especially when driving, then I do agree with that. But just for putting it doesn't matter.

Geez I wish I had only tried 3 putters.

KC Aviar-->Star Aviar (bad, I know)-->Polecat (for two weeks)-->Grip Spike-->SSS Voodoo-->RFF Wizard

This is my second real year playing. Had I just found the damn Wizard right away, none of this would have been necessary.

I wouldn't start a newb out with 10 discs...period.
If I'm completely unbiased and objective here's what I'd start them out with and why.

Wizard: not so overstable you can't putt with it, but enough stability that you can learn how to use it off the tee for short holes.
Buzzz: so versatile and so intuitive in terms of getting it to do what you want it to do - perfect for those just learning the game.
River: easy to control, glidey for easy distance, not too fast for most beginners (switch River with Diamond if they're a noodle arm).
Tee-Bird or Eagle: nice OS compliment to the River/Diamond and suitable for them to learn how to throw FH as well as BH.

This gives them molds that are tried and tested from the most popular manufacturers (arguably what each brand does best) - molds that are each very popular for good reason.

This may allow them grow into their game without a bias toward one brand or another. As their game develops, let them experiment with different weights and plastics from each manufacturer to see what they like and what they don't, and go from there. Each of these discs is suitabe for beginners and has a shot of staying in their bag for a lifetime.

Last edited:
I have only been playing about 1.5 years, but I have figured out that throwing RHBH I throw understable everything better then neutral or overstable. I am now getting to the point were I can throw neutral discs pretty well. I just wish I would have had someone tell me as a beginner RHBH throwers need understable discs! The more I throw I am finding the understable discs are starting to turn on me now. So I'm now starting to use stable to over and am throwing them pretty good now, but it took almost 2 years and lots of practice.:clap:

I wouldn't start a newb out with 10 discs...period.
If I'm completely unbiased and objective here's what I'd start them out with and why.

Wizard: not so overstable you can't putt with it, but enough stability that you can learn how to use it off the tee for short holes.
Buzzz: so versatile and so intuitive in terms of getting it to do what you want it to do - perfect for those just learning the game.
River: easy to control, glidey for easy distance, not too fast for most beginners (switch River with Diamond if they're a noodle arm).
Tee-Bird or Eagle: nice OS compliment to the River/Diamond and suitable for them to learn how to throw FH as well as BH.

This gives them molds that are tried and tested from the most popular manufacturers (arguably what each brand does best) - molds that are each very popular for good reason.

This may allow them grow into their game without a bias toward one brand or another. As their game develops, let them experiment with different weights and plastics from each manufacturer to see what they like and what they don't, and go from there. Each of these discs is suitabe for beginners and has a shot of staying in their bag for a lifetime.

Good post.

Discraft Meteor ESP 166g
Innova Champion Aviar

That's all a beginner needs. I just started playing about a month ago and have bought about 15 discs trying to find the right combination of straight and glide. I have tried some drivers and have had no luck going straight, even with a light (I think it's 154g) Valkyrie. The Valkyrie would start straight and turn and go left. I smartened up after reading several articles that said beginners should start with putters and mid-ranges. I have a Cheetah and a Shark and they were too overstable for me to start so I got a Buzzz SS after reading a million good reviews. The Buzzz is 175g and a little too heavy for my weak throw right now. I wanted something a little lighter - 165g range, so I bought a 166g Meteor today. The combination of understable and light weight keeps me straight and gives some good glide. The Champion Aviar has a nice feel to it and flies straight - everyone I play with really likes it when they try it. 2 guys who are far better than me went and bought Aviars after trying mine.

Discraft Meteor ESP 166g
Innova Champion Aviar

That's all a beginner needs. I just started playing about a month ago and have bought about 15 discs trying to find the right combination of straight and glide. I have tried some drivers and have had no luck going straight, even with a light (I think it's 154g) Valkyrie. The Valkyrie would start straight and turn and go left. I smartened up after reading several articles that said beginners should start with putters and mid-ranges. I have a Cheetah and a Shark and they were too overstable for me to start so I got a Buzzz SS after reading a million good reviews. The Buzzz is 175g and a little too heavy for my weak throw right now. I wanted something a little lighter - 165g range, so I bought a 166g Meteor today. The combination of understable and light weight keeps me straight and gives some good glide. The Champion Aviar has a nice feel to it and flies straight - everyone I play with really likes it when they try it. 2 guys who are far better than me went and bought Aviars after trying mine.

Every disc will finish left given enough airtime. The faster and more stable the disc the sooner it will fade left. ;)

Not really. It's very common to beat all the fade out of discs, and some have very little to begin with.

id argue there still is some low speed fade no matter what its just not always apparent or possible to see throwing some discs unless it was off a cliff. Even on shots that I have turned wayyyyyyyy over and 500+' downhill always still fade out its just 1% of the flight vs the other 99% it sores off line.

Yeah, I did. :doh:

So a beat to death Pro D Zeppelin, thrown on an anny, even if it was thrown off a cliff, would fade?

Maybe it would, I'm not sure of the physics. There would still be spin imparted upon the disc. I just can't imagine it would ever start to pull out of the turn at any point in it's flight.

You're the expert. Take me to school.

Give me that beat to death D Zep and I'll show you. It will fade out given enough time. I have an old beat up DX Aero (even the champ version is really understable) and if I put it up high enough (give it enough air time) it will fade out at the end.

I was going to mention the Aero. Does it fade even on an anny?

This has piqued my interest. It seems that given enough height, the disc would continue on an anhyzer arch all the way to the ground. I want to test out my Zep now to see this in action.

Last edited:

Latest posts