• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1000+ rating pro skillsets

I think this post is the real deal. 1000+ guys just don't make big mistakes, they don't randomly yank a shot the way the rest of us do, and when they do miss a shot it's not usually off by much

This. I'll be honest and toot my horn some. I have every shot down in the book to be 1000+ and golf lines but consistency is KEY. I am the WORST putter in the world and I'm not even kidding. I'm also very inconsistent in my play with yanking shots and my upshot game is horrendous

Yea, ima go with genetics will help a bunch. If you are naturally uncordinated then my guess is that disc golf is not going to be easy for you and that you can spend all the time in the world and just not get better. I see that all the time with a lot of rec and int players who have been in their divisions forever yet they play 10x more golf than anybody else.

You can give someone 100% of the best disc golf knowledge out there and the best training and coaching and if they do not have the physical ability to make it work then they will never be able to progress to that 1000+ mark. If hard work and determination was all it took to be 1000+ rated then we would be seeing a lot more players that have achieved that mark.

^^ Bingo. To play this (or any) sport at a world class level, which 1000 is, natural athletic ability is key. There are plenty of kids all across sports who practice hard, have all the right equipment, all the professional instruction, but no natural talent so they don't make it.

I practiced hard, worked out hard, and had decent natural athletic ability, but never had good speed. That is why I never made it past Division II College baseball. I had many teammates over the years who didn't work as hard but just had natural talent so they made it.

Disc golf is no different. There are some skills that need to be learned and honed, but those with natural athletic ability will learn them and perfect them much quicker. I read something back earlier in the thread as athletic people's ability to "repeat the correct motion over and over" or something to that effect. That is huge. Anyone can be taught proper technique, but people with natural ability will learn it quicker and more importantly, be able to repeat it.

^^ Bingo. To play this (or any) sport at a world class level, which 1000 is, natural athletic ability is key. There are plenty of kids all across sports who practice hard, have all the right equipment, all the professional instruction, but no natural talent so they don't make it.

I practiced hard, worked out hard, and had decent natural athletic ability, but never had good speed. That is why I never made it past Division II College baseball. I had many teammates over the years who didn't work as hard but just had natural talent so they made it.

Disc golf is no different. There are some skills that need to be learned and honed, but those with natural athletic ability will learn them and perfect them much quicker. I read something back earlier in the thread as athletic people's ability to "repeat the correct motion over and over" or something to that effect. That is huge. Anyone can be taught proper technique, but people with natural ability will learn it quicker and more importantly, be able to repeat it.

Yep, coaching/practice can take someone from an 85 MPH fastball to the low 90s, but all the coaching/practice in the world will not make a 60 MPH thrower to the low 90s. Every player has their level. I started like most people as a weak hyzer throwing noob rated in the mid 800s. Practiced and got to about 935 pretty quickly. Didn't progress much past that (admittedly stopped playing/practicing for a while). Point is, at my age and physical abilities, I would probably have never become a 1000 rated player.

Consistency is key. Across all kinds of sports....disc golf, golf, bowling, basketball shots, pitching in baseball, etc....the best are usually the people that are most often able to repeat their mechanics. Not only are their shots more consistent then, but the misses aren't as bad. They don't have the wild swings of less consistent players. And they are also able to better sense when something is off a little bit and make better, faster adjustments in-game.

Then there is a whole different deal altogether with the best of the best. That gets more to the mental side of things, and typically involves an absolute hatred of losing.

A lot of truth in a lot of these posts, but this is one that gets overlooked.

I've played with some 1000-rated players, and higher, on a reasonably challenging course, and finished a round thinking that there wasn't really a single dazzling shot in all I saw. But it seemed they were always in the fairway, almost never in trouble and, on those rare occasions that they were, out of it so easily that it didn't seem to bother them. That, and never 3-putting.

They never seem surprised at where their shot went, or what their disc did. I think you're right---that it's the consistency in their mechanics.

They never seem surprised at where their shot went, or what their disc did. I think you're right---that it's the consistency in their mechanics.

The consistency leads to bad shots that are considerably less bad than what's possible. Take your favorite hole and imagine the top problem a 1000+ rated player has on that hole and imagine the top problem a 900+ rated player has. We're playing different games. They can automatically do everything we spend all our effort doing. They have more choices. All this is down to consistent mechanics which allows them to make choices and actually execute on those.

Doubt is the true killer.

Notions that youll never be this or that, be able to do something or not able.

Disc golf is just as much about mentality as it is skills. Its something that can be practiced and trained.

Ill have to check matt dollar out some. Havent had internet for like a year, makes it hard to watch stuff without burning my data :(

Mental game. Learning the skills needed to play is hard work, using them under pressure is even harder. The consistency that comes with being metally tough, knowing the shot, and being able to make it matters.

This. I'll be honest and toot my horn some. I have every shot down in the book to be 1000+ and golf lines but consistency is KEY. I am the WORST putter in the world and I'm not even kidding. I'm also very inconsistent in my play with yanking shots and my upshot game is horrendous

Hahaha..... wat?

A lot of truth in a lot of these posts, but this is one that gets overlooked.

I've played with some 1000-rated players, and higher, on a reasonably challenging course, and finished a round thinking that there wasn't really a single dazzling shot in all I saw. But it seemed they were always in the fairway, almost never in trouble and, on those rare occasions that they were, out of it so easily that it didn't seem to bother them. That, and never 3-putting.

Agreed, the times that I have shot around even 980+ golf it wasn't because my putting suddenly caught fire or I gained distance, it was that I was never in trouble. Its boring almost watching these top guys because they just consistently get off the tee and give themselves chances and rarely blow up holes.

At the risk of thread drift, I'd say the most consistency usually results in maintaining a high average. I bowled with a guy who maintained a solid average above 220 (very similar to a 1000+ rated disc golfer). He was incredibly consistent. Bad breaks never seemed to phase him. A ringing ten pin leave would always be picked up for the spare, and he had the accuracy and knowledge to make the spare as well on his very infrequent splits. It's all about that relentless pursuit of the 'perfection' we mere mortals execute only a few times per round (game). And the steely nerves it takes to keep executing, even after a bad break, under pressure, with a positive attitude that you can make the next shot. (This all coming from a guy WAY below 1000).

The consistency leads to bad shots that are considerably less bad than what's possible. Take your favorite hole and imagine the top problem a 1000+ rated player has on that hole and imagine the top problem a 900+ rated player has. We're playing different games. They can automatically do everything we spend all our effort doing. They have more choices. All this is down to consistent mechanics which allows them to make choices and actually execute on those.

I played a pretty tough course with one of the top players once, and I swear the wooded fairways were 3 times as wide when he threw. Like they opened up for him. I'm in the woods and not only is he in the fairway---way down the fairway from where I am---but he's not even coming close to hitting the trees on the side.

I played a pretty tough course with one of the top players once, and I swear the wooded fairways were 3 times as wide when he threw. Like they opened up for him. I'm in the woods and not only is he in the fairway---way down the fairway from where I am---but he's not even coming close to hitting the trees on the side.

Similar experience the one time I had the privilege of playing with Johnny Sias on a wooded course he was playing for the first time. Long story, but we played 65 holes, and I saw him touch a tree off the tee only twice: when he hadn't seen that third tree hiding behind the second one. Consistency. Execution. And a great spatial sense!

Agreed, the times that I have shot around even 980+ golf it wasn't because my putting suddenly caught fire or I gained distance, it was that I was never in trouble. Its boring almost watching these top guys because they just consistently get off the tee and give themselves chances and rarely blow up holes.

I'm in this camp as well.
More than any specific type of throw, I think that the key skill set is knowing your game and being able to deliver that with confidence and consistency.

With unlimited mulligans I'm sure that I could put together a 1000 rated round, so technically I don't lack any of the throws that it takes to achieve that type of round. What I do lack is the consistency to achieve those rounds without needing mulligans.

It's interesting to examine the differences between, let's say, a regionally-cashing pro who isn't a national contender and the average joe who's gotten to the point where he can throw a decent 300-350' drive and expect to make a majority of his 30-footers. I was in the latter camp through the late '90s and early '00s, a middling Am-1 player, and we were lucky in that we got paired up with good pros at regional tournaments for the first of two rounds. On any given shot or any given hole, I could duplicate their success (with less distance where raw distance was needed), but wasn't even close in terms of consistency. They were playing a different game. I stepped up to the tee thinking, "I am attempting to make a good shot," and would do so some of the time. The good pros would step up to the tee and expect to make a good shot, possibly thinking, "I'm going to put this good shot THERE," and do it.

It amounted to them playing for deuce and me playing for par most of the time, and every third or every other hole they'd be down a stroke on me without breaking a sweat. Those strokes add up in a hurry over the course of a 48-hole tournament. (And for a comparison to superstars? I remember Climo beating me by .7 per hole or something ridiculous like that when the Ams and Pros got to play the same tees at the 2000 worlds. Also, back in the day, I think I remember Steve Rico shooting like a -14 on the 24-hole Monster course at Hudson Mills (near Ann Arbor, MI) when my best-ever was a +3, and this was the era when Gazelles and Cyclones were state of the art...)

With unlimited mulligans I'm sure that I could put together a 1000 rated round, so technically I don't lack any of the throws that it takes to achieve that type of round. What I do lack is the consistency to achieve those rounds without needing mulligans.

Quote of the year. :clap:

I'm in this camp as well.
More than any specific type of throw, I think that the key skill set is knowing your game and being able to deliver that with confidence and consistency.

Quote of the year. :clap:

As My Cousin Vinny might say, "You sure about that? You sure about those 5 minutes?"

I agree with all those that said/say: Putting. There's a couple Open local players that really only have each other to compete with. Their rounds are pretty epic. One can throw over mountains, and it is as impressive as one can imagine... but the other hits putts from outside the circle with regularity, and rarely misses inside. I follow these guys around soaking up as much as I possibly can, and I feel confident that the Monster arm would trade 50' off his drives for a better more consistent putt. He'd still outdrive most everyone...