• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

15 times champion

Comparing disc golfers to other established sports is folly. Olympic track and professional baseball players are benefitting from modern training (million dollar facilities) and "nutrition" (PEDS) that have gotten better over the years. Simon isn't taking advantage of this kind of stuff.

Absolutely true. But they're also benefitting from the same kinds of improvement and refinement of technique, from studying the game, that disc golfers are. And in the measurable sports, players have always been improving---in the 1980s they were better than in the 1950s, who were better than in the 1920s, and so on.

The notion that our guys aren't benefitting from modern training seems incorrect. Twenty years ago pitchers were not supposed to lift. Clemens put that to bed. Tiger put it to bed for golf. Paul me Paige have both commented about lifting and many have talked about hobo and other flexibility training. Yes, we don't have the money to do it like the big boys do, but people are doing it.

Younger generations stink. Sorry Chris, David was having fun, and I don't think he meant to be taken seriously. I have heard a lot about Millennials lately, and in the never ending, it's all the young people's fault, Millennials are getting blamed a lot for a number of disasters my generation created. The Boomers are turning out to be a spoiled lot who've placed themselves above the country and the world. Universally? Not even close. But enough to leave Millennials with a mess. The Greatest generation tore this country from the grip of rich, greedy hedonists. The Boomers give it right back, whining all the while. Fifty or so people own 90% of the world and my generation let that happen.

On the other hand, we also invented disc golf. We can't be too bad.

The notion that our guys aren't benefitting from modern training seems incorrect. Twenty years ago pitchers were not supposed to lift. Clemens put that to bed. Tiger put it to bed for golf. Paul me Paige have both commented about lifting and many have talked about hobo and other flexibility training. Yes, we don't have the money to do it like the big boys do, but people are doing it.

That would be Paul and Paige. And yoga.

Younger generations stink. Sorry Chris, David was having fun, and I don't think he meant to be taken seriously. .

I love history, and I'm fond of saying that in history, the simple truth is never.....simple.

So with the neverending disdain of Generation Next, which I find entertaining. And my boasts of Boomer superiority were, of course, tongue-in-cheek. But I think Chris was saying the same thing---that it's been going on forever.

It applies to sports, too. I've seen articles written in the 1890s, complaining that "modern" baseball players don't have the dedication of those 20 years earlier. The old players were always better.

Today's disc golfers? They may not have million-dollar training facilities, but they benefit from the knowledge gained in fitness and nutrition. They have much easier access to video, particularly slow-motion video, to study their motion. They have the accumulated knowledge of previous disc golfers, discovering, inventing, or refining fine details in throwing technique (unless the wisdom of an earlier generation was somehow lost).

Does it make them better? I haven't a clue. It would certainly seem to improve their chances, though.

An MPO World Championship means more because objectively it's disc golf played at its highest level. Players' ratings don't take sex or age into account.

(unless the wisdom of an earlier generation was somehow lost).

Does it make them better? I haven't a clue. It would certainly seem to improve their chances, though.

Wisdom has certainly been lost. The early disc golfers were really frisbee guys that did freestyle and MTA first. Nobody today would be able to throw discs through a hoop at Globetrotter games.

As for distance, your form has to be superior to hurl a freestyle disc 500'. Technology is handicapping modern player's skill development.

I don't think third wave disc golfers can appreciate the difference between 90s disc golf and today. I took a break from disc golf around 2002 and when I returned there were surges and wraiths and other wide rims. Going from a teebird to these really felt like cheating at the time.

Comparing disc golfers to other established sports is folly. Olympic track and professional baseball players are benefitting from modern training (million dollar facilities) and "nutrition" (PEDS) that have gotten better over the years. Simon isn't taking advantage of this kind of stuff.

So you're saying PED use had increased in other sports but not disc golf since the Climo era?

This SI cover came out the year Climo won his 7th world's:
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2009/07/05/sports/homers2_large.jpg

It's meaningless, of course, but I note that Climo's championship run pretty much coincides with baseball's steroids era.

Are baseball players benefitting more from PEDs now than they were then?

Evidence?

And while I give disc golfers, now and then, the benefit of the doubt as to not using them, how would we know?

I do believe Climo was using "sheet rock as a profession" steroids!

*I don't think any of our top pros these days are hanging sheet rock daily.*

Wait, I thought he was a roofer? Now I'm really confused. Is it sheet steroids, or shingle steroids?

What's the definition of performance-enhancing? Because if it includes behavioral as well as physical, I think KC was known to use a banned substance that can increase calm.

That would be Paul and Paige. And yoga.

A lot of folks on the course look like they're in hobo training. Myself included sometimes.

False equivalency, you're taking something totally unrelated and nothing like I pointed out and pretending they're similar. They are not. If you're attempting to dispute my point - you've done absolutely nothing to dispute it.

I don't agree

After KC won his 12th MPO title in '06 in Augusta, there were rumors that Worlds would be held there every year to take advantage of his Florida roots and humid weather dominance.
(anyone remember?) Anyway we're back in Augusta.... is KC the favorite in MPM? 16X!!!!

KC was obviously the best of his generation. PM was looking like a shoe-in to be his generations best, but RW is having something to say about it lately. It's tough to compare different eras. At league last week we were talking NBA: 22 year old thinks King James is the best ever, 38 year old thinks it's Jordan, my old butt thinks it's Chamberlain or the Big O. No matter which sport we're talking, we'll never know the GOAT for sure, but it can be fun to discuss.

Latest posts