• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 Class bag for Japan suggestions???

Yes, they appear to be the same distance at my Truths. This has peaked my interest. I wonder how much overlap they gave with DX firebirds?

150 class dx vipers are nice too that would act more as a mid than the whippet

I did a 150 class tournament a few years ago and I've always thrown a lot of 150 class drivers. My observations are that 150-159g mids and putters are really marginal. If there is any wind at all light putters and mids, even overstable ones, become incredibly flippy and inconsistent. In calm conditions, I do like throwing a 156g Warship. It is smooth and straight with almost no effort. The Vibram Obex can be picked up in 150 class weights and holds its overstable character in calm conditions. A bit of a headwind and it might as well be a Comet.

150 class putters are worse. Light putters are useless in all but perfectly calm conditions. Even then, they tend to magnify throwing errors. My best luck came with a 159g Ridge. You can learn to put pretty darn well with a 150 Teebird.

If you are looking for an overstable mid in 150 class, there is a perfect disc in my opinion. The 150 champion Banshee is awesome. It's incredibly reliable. It fades no matter what. It's hard to overshoot, and it is incredibly resistant to wind.

There are a lot of great driver choices now. I'm not a big arm, so I throw speed 9 or less generally. Lots of choices: Sidewinder, Valkyrie, Teebird, Eagle, Ascent, Jade, Diamond, Leopard, Saint, and Stag.

For faster arms almost all the fast discs have bubble variants

Feldberg says speed turns disc over. He recommends learning to throw slower and not to try and force a over stable discs to fight the windy. Then take the lessons and transfer them over to the overstable discs and you'll be well equipped in the wind.

He's looking for a over stable mid. I think the viper is about as close as he's going to get ATM.

The Hornet is an awesome 150g mid. I know you don't like going that low in weight, but I've had mine for a year or two, and it's still my most stable Hornet (I have 2 max weights). I don't think the 5-10g will be as big a difference as you're worried about it being.

Feldberg says speed turns disc over. He recommends learning to throw slower and not to try and force a over stable discs to fight the windy. Then take the lessons and transfer them over to the overstable discs and you'll be well equipped in the wind.

He's looking for a over stable mid. I think the viper is about as close as he's going to get ATM.

I prefer to disc up. The Whippet and Viper in DX are both pretty cheap, I'll probably try both.

The Viper is a serious meathook and has a really good design to fight the wind.

My bag update

Updated bag:

Putting Putters
156 Sure Grip Wizard
156 Sure Grip Wizard

Driving/Approach Putters (*)
157 Firm Summit
155 Medium Ridge
158 Medium VP

Mids
155 Lucid Air Truth*
156 Lucid Air Truth ( most stable backup )

Fairways
158 Glow Champ Leopard
157 Firm Ascent

Distance Drivers
157 Starlite RoadRunner
150 DX Firebird*
158 Champ Firebird*

Max Distance Drivers
158 R-Pro Boss
151 Starlight Tern
158 Bliz G-Star Boss

Utility
150 Champ Mamba

(*) - workhorse discs

Issues addressed

Putters :
Replaced the 3 ever dutiful driving/approach Wizards with a Medium Ridge and a Firm Summit. I tried for a few weeks to putt with the Ridge and or Summit, but ultimately couldn't get comfortable with them. I feel justified carrying more putters than normal because most of the courses over here are smaller and I'm working around my lack of mids. I am absolutely loving my Vibram putters off the tee and for approaches. I lost some distance when I initially dropped down from max weight. Learning how gain it back has been slow and arduous.

Mids:
I'm kind of in mid purgatory. There's just not a lot to chooses from in this disc category and what once was my max weight bread and butter is now my meh... I use my Truth for everything, which works well. I think if I add a DX Leo I can continue working around this category with my putters and fairways. I might add a Whippet or Viper when I see one in the weight I like (155-59 gram)

Fairways:
The fairways are alright. I usually prefer jumping straight from a fast mid to a slow distance driver. These cover the shots between well

Distance drivers:
The Valks are out until my RoadRunner beats in more. If it doesn't then the Valks stay out. They fly too much like each other at the moment and it's easier to control the RoadRunner.

Max & Utility
They're not regularly in my bag unless I go to a course big enough to use them. Nothing changing,

How are those light champ FBs? I saw some one Marshall St. And it peaked my interest. Are they in the same realm as a 170-175 in stability?

Not much different. After 6 months, maybe a little easier to throw harder/faster and a little less resilient to a headwind than a max weight. It was the easiest disc in my bag to adjust to in a lighter weight.

How are those light champ FBs? I saw some one Marshall St. And it peaked my interest. Are they in the same realm as a 170-175 in stability?
I don't know about the marshall street ones but...

I have a 156 gram champion firebird that is more stable than any max weight star firebird I have. The PLH and flatness makes it fly like a regular champion firebird at 175grams! Not as beefy as my 172 gram FAF champion firebird, but equal in stability or greater than almost all others I have.

I have a couple of 157gram hero discs japan open star orcs that fly like max weight orcs, with more distance, crazy long and with a lot of HSS.

I really might have to try one as a 'sore arm disc' I throw tons of FH shots and if I play a ton of long rounds in a short period I switch to my G* so that I can throw the same shots without trying as hard, but I love the champ plastic though.

Just got a few discs in the mail. Let the battle for os mid begin!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 27
150 Whippet vs 152 Hornet
Neither were as overstable as I was hoping, but that's pretty much what I was expecting. I spent two day tossing these two discs around, one day in an open field and the next day on the course. After all that throwing the decision was pretty easy, I'm sticking with the Discraft mid. It's overall durability, resistance to O.A.T., and comfortableness/familiarity in the hand really stood out.

New/Updated Bag:

Putting Putters
156 Sure Grip Wizard
156 Sure Grip Wizard

Driving/Approach Putters
157 Firm Summit
155 Medium Ridge
158 Medium VP

Mids
157 Pro D Buzzz
155 Lucid Air Truth
152 Z Hornet

Fairways
156 DX Leopard
158 Champ Leopard
157 DX TeeBird
158 G* T3

Distance Drivers
157 Starlite RoadRunner
150 DX Firebird*
158 Champ Firebird*

Max Distance Drivers
151 Starlight Tern
158 R-Pro Boss
158 Bliz G-Star Boss

Issues addressed

Putters :
After a little over a month I'm starting to really understand the limitations of my Vibram putters. I still really like them, but it's not like I'm getting the distance that I had with Wizards. Holding off on the mid upgrade was probably a good decision for me because it made me focus on knowing my new set of putters, which fly a lot different than the Wizards I was using. I think I'll be able to relieve a lot of the work load these disc were taking by picking up the new understable & overstable mids

Mids:
Adding the Buzzz and Hornet is going help take away some of the forced shots I've been taking with my low glideless putters. I absolutely destroyed my home course yesterday using these brand new barely thrown discs. My mids may not be minimized, but they all have a very similar feel in the hand. I can live with that.

Fairways
DX Leo, DX TeeBird, G*T3 added and the Firm Ascent was booted. I wanted a longer Buzzz/Truth/Hornet and I believe the Leo/TeeBird/T3 will provide the glide, controllability, and distance I'm looking for. I'm officially on the TeeBird bandwagon!

Distance & Max Distance Drivers:
Happy and content.

I'd say it's more reliable than beefy, if that makes sense. The HSS isn't great, but the LSS has a decent fade. If I give it a good rip it will travel pretty straight until it slows down. I typically get less distance out of the putters and mids the lighter they are. I was hoping to find a 159, but gave up. 152 is as heavy as I could find it under 160. They seem to be a lot more common at 150.

I'm looking for a soft putter with a shallow grip for my wife. She wants a shallow rim depth for her smaller hands and and a plyable flight plate she can dig her thumb into. I'm thinking about a medium summit, but I'm open to suggestions. Is a banger gt shallow?