• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2013 Ace Race Disc is called "The Mantis"

The Mantis throws nothing like a Saint for me. The glide isn't even close, and the Saint has more turn.

The Saint definitely has more glide but for me they both have similar paths. Maybe my Mantis will turn a bit more, but that's about it. They both will hold anhyzers with ease and can do pretty much the same thing. Then again, I'm not putting the Saint out to 350+ or anything so that's also a factor. I just think they fly pretty similarly in terms of angles and whatnot.

weird...everyone is talking about this disc being beefy. The one I threw, and the ones I have seen thrown are more like Echo Star Teebirds, really. Guess that's why it's a prototype!

I have thrown my buddies and I would echo the hss XL turns a little less fades about the same. I like that it fits between the predator/tsunami and the xl. Its a spot in my bag that I was hoping Discraft would address haha. Although I want to see it run in Z line I think it would perform closer to everyone's expectations.

weird...everyone is talking about this disc being beefy. The one I threw, and the ones I have seen thrown are more like Echo Star Teebirds, really. Guess that's why it's a prototype!

Yea, I never found mine to be beefy. I have one at 170g which is low for my normal fairways, but I've always found they fly very, very straight. That's why I agreed with their claim that it was an easy to throw fairway.

My 173-174 is a nice overstable eagle x, brinster teebird, or saint pro esque disc. Flies far and straight with a strong hyzer fini finish when thrown flat and fast. Won't turn at 350 and holds a hyzer well. Mine is not as overstable as banshees or really overstable eagle x's like the circle stamps. Really fantastic disc

^Liking the sounds of your 173-174g Mantis. Yours is one of the first reviews of it that really spiked my interest. I like my XL's and the Predator is there to stay, but I have been testing out a few different Discraft fairways to possibly fill a spot. Hopefully they run this in ESP, FLX, Elite X and Z. That's being hopeful though it sure would be interesting to see how these fly in each different type of plastic, since they each have their benefits.

Here are the PDGA Approved #'s for the Mantis:

176.0 Max Weight 21.2 Diameter 1.9 Height 1.1 Rim Depth 17.4 Inside Rim Diameter
1.9 Rim Thickness 5.2 Rim Depth/Diam. Ratio 28.0 Rim Config. 10.66 Flexibility

Liking the 1.9cm Rim Thickness, same rim size as a Predator. Hopefully they release this in stock production runs soon. Anyone have news of when that might happen?

Does Discraft's naming of the disc mean it will be in production?

Haven't some been named but not run after the Ace Race? (Zeppelin?)

Does Discraft's naming of the disc mean it will be in production?

Haven't some been named but not run after the Ace Race? (Zeppelin?)

Correct on the Zeppelin.

From the OP "... Look for an announcement soon on the release of Mantis as a stock Discraft golf disc...."

Bagged mine for a couple months after our local Ace Race....took it out for the Winter though.
I get a similar flight to my Champion Eagle, but not quite as much fade and about 25' longer distance.

I was throwing my remaining AceRace stamped Mantis yesterday side by side with a beat champ and fairly fresh star Wraith. Mantis is light weight and the wraiths are heavy. For equal power and throw I was having very repeatable results. All three discs would drop within about a 30-40ft circle. Attached photo is one of three times that I rethrew this open hole to test. Distance was 375-400ft, according to U-disc measures.

My best cranks of the day with the Wraith were 430 and 460ft (the 460 one went OB over the road :doh:). I did not max distance throw the Mantis, but I don't think it would go quite that far. It is a little slower in the air. Who knows though, it is less flippy than my star wraith.

attachment.php

I know folks are comparing the Mantis to fairway drivers, I find it to be longer than my FWD by 40-50ft. More in the Viking short driver range. My Stalker is shorter, more nose angle sensitive, and will flip hard with too much torque. I don't consider it too much of an overlap between the mantis and stalker.

Attachments

• wraith_acerace.jpg
    wraith_acerace.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 201
I know it has mixed reviews but I am loving the mantis. I have been throwing the saint for a while as my go to disc but I noticed I'm starting to throw the mantis more and the saint less. I also just recently got a saint pro and think I might like the mantis better than this as well. Haven't thrown enough yet

Latest posts