• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

I think I'm gonna bring my mini basket to my Ace Race and have a CTP for everyone with the Mini Magnets (like 50'?)...everybody gets one free shot, then $1 for each extra try...all money goes into a pool (this would obviously start at a default amount like $10 or so since everyone enters for free), all aces or the closest to pin after the game ends will split the pot.

I think I'm gonna bring my mini basket to my Ace Race and have a CTP for everyone with the Mini Magnets (like 50'?)...everybody gets one free shot, then $1 for each extra try...all money goes into a pool (this would obviously start at a default amount like $10 or so since everyone enters for free), all aces or the closest to pin after the game ends will split the pot.

:clap::thmbup::clap::thmbup::clap:

Why did no one think of this before our AR! We did ring of fire... tons of fun for everyone who just finished the AR - got lots of compliments on having fun games to play!

Let us know how it goes!

Got all the player packs in Friday afternoon for our event that was Sunday. Didn't receive a disc that weighed over 154. Got some light and dark pink, blueish green, and dirt brown (the absolute worst color for a disc). Wasn't happy with the color or weight selection but it turned out fine. Disc was predictably stable. We had 4 total aces and probably 18-20 Metal hits. 2 aces / 3 metals (my awesome fiance) took the grand prize, with 2 guys with an ace and 2 metals a piece had a throw-off for second. I set up the holes to average about 150 feet. Everyone had a ton of fun. We even had a beginner get a metal hit on a roller. Got 3 out of 4 aces on video, which I will edit and post the link to later! They included extra cups to account for any that were broken. None of mine were damaged so I ended up with some free extras! :thmbup:

So my event is about 12 days out now. And only have two packs left to sell. I figured I would just check eBay to see if any tds were trying to sell off their extras. And notice alot of single disc selling for 15-20 dollars a peice. Knowing there are still alot of ace races to be played, why are these disc bringing in 20 when you can get a player pack at an event for 25. I understand there are some areas that don't have ace races close but it seems like 20 for the disc is high. There was one full player pack starting at 32 but had a buy it now for 45. Just seems odds these disc can bring in that price

^^There are many descriptions of the disc in this very thread.

The disc has been compared to a Teebird, Viking, Volt, Stalker...etc. It's basically a speed 8-9, slightly overstable fairway driver, that will fly very straight if you can throw it 300 feet, then it will have a nice fade at the end. This is what I found with the heavy discs. There were no light discs at my Race, so I'm not sure how those fly, although they are reportedly less stable than the heavies (which is typical).

In a nutshell, it's a great disc, that I know will make many player's bags.

You'll like the way it flies. I guarantee it. :D

oh ive thrown it. i thought it was a lot like the ealge but a little faster. mine is a 158g.

i was just curious to see what others thought and this thread is 55 pages of people complaining about how the ace race is run or when their ace race is. so its kinda hard to sift through. or maybe im just lazy.

oh ive thrown it. i thought it was a lot like the ealge but a little faster. mine is a 158g.

i was just curious to see what others thought and this thread is 55 pages of people complaining about how the ace race is run or when their ace race is. so its kinda hard to sift through. or maybe im just lazy.

I'm going with lazy. :D

This might be a good place to start. Lots of good disc info:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74024&page=16

I am running my first ace race in about a week and a half and have been trying to figure out how to set it up. Guess what, this thread is useless. I just have to lol every time I see "my AR was too short" or "the holes were too long at mine." Sounds like I could set up the holes anywhere between 50' and 250' and someone is going to whine.

I am running my first ace race in about a week and a half and have been trying to figure out how to set it up. Guess what, this thread is useless. I just have to lol every time I see "my AR was too short" or "the holes were too long at mine." Sounds like I could set up the holes anywhere between 50' and 250' and someone is going to whine.

The question is which players you want to focus on. If you care about the new players the ace race is intended for, set it up short and let the experienced players whine. If you care abou making it a competitive event for the best local players, set it up long and drive away any kids or new folks that try it out.

That's a fact. Old story, "You can't please all the people all the time." No matter the distances, someone will find a reason to complain.

I'd have to say that our Ace Race here in WNY (the most recent one anyway) was set up something like that. Anywhere from around 100' - 200'. And yes for the most part considering the disc's potential most of the baskets were far too short. But then any longer and exactly how many aces or even metal hits would you have? If in doubt, shorter is better than longer, giving the maximum number of players a chance. That includes the youngins, noobs, and noodle arms like me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its supposed to be a FUN event and not a serious competition.

In the four years of Ace Races I've attended, 2 were won by women and one was won by a 13 yo. And there were plenty of cannon arms in all 4 events. Sounds like our TO got the distances right.

Dave, I played at Water Works in Ypsi, where the baskets were set longer, seemed like 80 to about 180. I also just played Raintree AR and all pins were set 100 and less. The winner at WW was an ace and a couple metals, I think. The winner at Raintree was three aces and three metals. Regardless of the disc, I think the shorter course was more friendly, fun and competitive. The disc will fly at any distance. Good luck with the Ace Race, all in attendance should have a blast.

I had one TD who set up a mini hole every year between two other holes, aces and metals counted on that hole just like any other and you used the AR mini that was in the players' pack. I thought it was a really fun addition to the event! :thmbup:

Why not just pepper in holes for everyone?

My layouts distances for our upcoming AR

1: 135
2: 170
3: 155
4: 115
5: 125
6: 175
7: 145
8: 200
9: 130
10: 195
11: 55
12: 170
13: 100
14: 160
15: 165
16: 165
17: 80
18: 255
19: 140
20: 200
21: 130
22: 210
23: 150
24: 155

I've already hosted one Ace Race this year (Albuquerque 9/7/13), and am hosting another in Farmington, NM this Saturday 9/21.
If you recall, I got my discs at the absolute last minute last time. In that batch I had 4 different colors, and a fairly even distribution of weights ranging 155 - 175.

This shipment arrived already! 3 days early. GO DISCRAFT!
All discs I received for the second event are <160g and either green or purple. :/

Are the later events getting less variety?

I've already hosted one Ace Race this year (Albuquerque 9/7/13), and am hosting another in Farmington, NM this Saturday 9/21.
If you recall, I got my discs at the absolute last minute last time. In that batch I had 4 different colors, and a fairly even distribution of weights ranging 155 - 175.

All discs I received for the second event are <160g and either green or purple. :/

Hope not - good luck to the Halloween events! they'll have 98 dirt green 150's.

I have played in a couple and the last one a couple weeks ago, had similiar weights and colors you describe. First had heavier weights and better color variety.