• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Thoughts/2014 Goals

maxhz

As we near the end of the year, and we find ourselves in that awkward time of looking back while looking ahead. 2013 was the first full year I played disc golf, and it has been a journey! I've gone through many times where I don't know why I put myself through the frustration of the sport and say I'm done...only to find myself out on the course the next day. I spent almost everyday of my summer break playing (probably about 65-70 of the 80ish days). I made lots of new friendships from playing that are awesome, and are probably the reason I keep playing! Looking forward to 2014, I would like to give a tournament a try at some point. I don't like being in large groups of people, and when I play I like it to be easy-going, but I feel like this is something I need to do at some point. Obviously, I hope to become a better player, maybe listen a little more, take my time on decisions and quick making stupid ones! And I can't wait to make some more friends along the way.

What about you guys? What are your thoughts on how 2013 went for you in terms of disc golf? And what are your 2014 goals or plans?

Work on my form
Consistently break 300' on my drives (I'm an old pasta wing)
find a dang putter I like!!

That's about it for now...

Play more. That's it.

Nobody who is good at disc golf plays 40 rounds a year.

2013 thoughts:I feel that year by year my consistancy has improved but my hottest rounds have not gotten much better. At tougher courses my best rounds are usually the same score wise as the past few years but did not have many of those terrible rounds this year for the first time ever. I probably just putted under 50 times this entire year, only time I jump now is if I am behind something or a weird stance. My putting used to barely reach the basket at circles edge, now my range is out to 55 or so ft.

2014 goals: Not lose so much distance in the winter months, I usually am lucky to get 300 ft in the winter vs 350ish in the summer. Gaining extra distance would be nice. Get my sidearm back to being what it was a few yrs ago and consistant to 250 ft. Get my putting range to 90-100 ft without jumping. I feel if i stick to the gameplan I will do better

I had a great 2013! My only regret was I didn't travel as much as I would have liked to. 2012 I played 44 courses, this year only around 10 or so. In 2014 I would like to play at least 15 new courses. I would also like to become more involved in my local league. And I would like to hopefully win the Intermediate class in the Peak One Open.

Learned a ton this year. Played 3-7 rounds a week from May til December. I think I've walked more in the last 7 months than in the last 15 years combined (a very good thing). Built my own basket a few months back, putting has improved exponentially. Have been very pleased with my progression so far.

For '14, I plan to play even more. I've joined a local club and the PDGA and will start playing league and entering tournaments. I need to do some major work on my forehand, overhand, and off-hand throws. I'm also working on designing and installing a course on a piece of ground I've inherited. Though I'm playing through the weather this winter (not as much as I'd like), I'm really looking forward to spring so I can spend more time throwing.

My resolution for '14 is to quit buying (so much) plastic!

I'd like to increase my backhand accuracy in 2014,as well as up my distance.

Also, I would like to be around 75 courses played by the end of 2014.

13 was good, played 250 rounds, dgcr rating went from 950 to 963.

next year i hope to play 25 new courses during a month long road trip, meet some new people on the road and continue to improve even know i'm 43 and not getting any younger!

2013 was a great year for me. i played more tournys than i ever have previously, and my rating consistently rose the whole season. the only regret i have is not playing an A tier or a bigger event. im hoping to hit at least one of the Am triple crown events before joining the open clowns this next season.

parts of my game to work on:

-PUTTING.
-rollers
-mentality

2013---constructed 3 new holes at Stoney Hill, further diverging the overlapping layouts. Premiered the 24-hole quartz layout, which seems to be pretty popular, and the shorter Quartz-Lite layout, for when time or energy are limited.

2014---Get to work on the one new hole we've been eyeballing for a year, and start the search for more new stuff.

(My course construction accomplishments and goals are much loftier than my actual play)

I began playing the sport on a new level in 2013. Learned a lot through playing 6 events, including a b tier and c tier.

For2014, Placing first in intermediate would be a total stretch... finishing top 5 would be great, but probably difficult! I just got my pdga membership, so Definitely looking to get to more events.. need those 5 to break even. I think getting in doubles league is a must. As far as my game, i need to improve my up-shots. Not hitting those lines hurts my game. If anything, i really just need to start meeting local golfers and be more active.

2013: I'm happy with how consistent I got in late August thru mid October.

2014: Start being consistent earlier than August.
Minimize my molds in my bag.
Practice my putting more often.

2013 - Started playing consistent 900+ rounds, even at courses out of town. Also, finally happy with my putting form. Still working to improve, but after trying just about everything except turbo, I believe that this is the form I can build upon.

2014 - My goal for this year is to understand and nail down my driving form, off the tee and fairway. Not happy with my form or consistency. Doing a lot of field work and video review. Need to understand it and be able to repeat it and know what happens when I make a poor throw. All that will be new territory for me.

I've improved A LOT this year, just got my game going on really great. Improved my putting really much, driving distance went from 300' to 400' and just a lot of improvement in my head game at the end of the season (first competitive season for me). Placed 3rd at my best tournament. Had a little bit of a plateau at June-July but then my game started rollin' again.

My 2014 Goals are:

1. Win a PDGA competition (any tier, junior class)
2. Improve my putting from 25ft ->
3. Win a single weekly competition at my home course.
4. Driving distance to 450'
5. Improve my head game, so that I don't get any "collapses" during a competition.

I wanna increase my putting percentage:p increase backhand distance, work on FH a little more, and increase my player rating to 900+

2013: I am extremely happy of the way I preformed my first season playing in PDGA events. I started the beginning of the year playing Intermediate and now I'm cashing and a threat in Open. I was really pleased about my mental game and execution this season. It helped me improve and allow me to meet my goals of this season. I also meet great people and made many friends.

2014: This will be the year where I will be playing strictly Open. I will do my best to get my rating up to at least 980+ this coming year. By doing so I will be working on putting, backhand approaches, and backhand anhyzers. Really excited to see what's in store for this coming season!

2013 was a fantastic year for me. It was my first year playing tournaments giving up the casual traveling rounds for the most part, except for my local league handicap singles. I dove in head first into the pool so to speak.

I played 21 sanctioned and 9 non-sactioned tournaments in 5 different divisions. I was a little dejected at the beginning of the year as my game was lacking consistency, finishing DFL or close to that. As the year progressed, my game improved dramatically. I had 2 wins, one in Recreational at the Checkered Flag open and one in Novice at the Hamilton county Open.

I also won the Indiana Fall Series overall championship in Recreational. That was the crowning achievement of the year. It was icing on the cake to also win the discathcher sport basket in the year -end drawing for those who played all the fall events.

I met so many nice people this year and made a lot of friends.

2014 will be a challenging year as i plan to play mostly in Advanced Masters. I'll need to step up my game in order to compete with folks that have been playing the game much longer than i have.

Goals for 2014:
-Play in all Indiana series events (22) along with the BG Ams.
-Play better second rounds. I was on the lead card 8 times during the year with only 2 wins. I need to do a better job at "closing the deal".
-Improve my stamina and consistancy.
-Do what i can to promote the game in our state.
-Have a lot of fun!

Latest posts