• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 BHMO

Unfortunately, that's what happens when the Am side fills up before the end of May. I know a lot of Ams who had to sign up to play Pro because that is where the available spots were. As a result, you have diluted pools on both sides.

What Ams are you referring to that signed up to play pro?

What Ams are you referring to that signed up to play pro?

I'm not going to call anyone out, but it definitely happens. It's happened in the past as well. That's what happens when people decide to play after the Am side fills up. I've talked to people who have said they knew they were donating but it was the only way that they could play.

I've only been playing for around 4 years, but this will be my first time watching the BHMO. Looking forward to it, and I have some friends I'm rooting for on the AM side.

I'll be there :thmbup:. Watched Paul McBeth last time and it was a fun day at the course. Although I am guessing there will be a bajillion people watching him this time... My brother and I were the only ones when we went. I forgot to ask McBeth how to throw 500ft :doh:.

Excited to see McBeth, Lizotte, Doss, Jenkins, and the rest of the pros sock some dingers at my home course.

Also the pro clinic on the 28th, whatever that may consist of. Should be a nice cap for the summer.

edit: By the way, the BHMDGC is in desperate need of some new equipment. Besides the old, clangy baskets the picnic table on hole 11 seems to be completely destroyed so I'm wondering if they might do something about that.

Last edited:
When is the West Side course installed (and for how long) and is it ever available to play without competing in the tourney?

I would like to play it but I have no desire for sanctioned play.

The Westside should be up Thurs and Friday for players to practice. I've heard the baskets will be pulled by 6 each night so get there early.

I hope to see an underdog rise up out of the rainy weather and upset one of the higher ranked pros...:popcorn:

Maybe there are no women there because last time they weren't happy with the payouts?

It looks like this event only had about $4,000 added cash. I can't find the entry fee for 2012 but this year its $135 so that's where my quick math takes me.

I hope to see an underdog rise up out of the rainy weather and upset one of the higher ranked pros...:popcorn:

As a Bengals fan, I hereby nominate Adam "Pacman" Jones. :D

Seriously though....If it can't be locals Schick or Horne, let it be Mr. McCray.

Would love to see Adam win it... or Dutch.... but honestly I just can't wait to see some pros crush some drives.

edit: By the way, the BHMDGC is in desperate need of some new equipment. Besides the old, clangy baskets the picnic table on hole 11 seems to be completely destroyed so I'm wondering if they might do something about that.
I would have to guess it's in the works. The Flyers have been putting lots of time and effort into getting the course ready for this event. They've poured several new pin positions and replaced other alternate pins where the collars had been damaged. There is a brand new long tee on 8, and a new bridge crossing to the 10th tee. There's lots of fresh mulch down in the muddy areas and fresh paint everywhere. Now if people would just quit littering the course it might be ready for the BMHO.

But yes, new signage, getting rid of the "smoke bench" on 11 and replacing it with something smaller, and a couple of other new tee pads (like replacing the short pad on 14 that slants upwards) would be really nice. But lets recognize that it's a small group of guys who do all this, and appreciate what they've done before we gripe about what they haven't.

Damn. I just noticed that. Wasn't NTs added cash req 10k not too long ago? What happened there?

Required added cash has never been that high. This year it's $4000, and it's been $4000 since at least 2011. By my quick and dirty math, the 2012 BHMO had at least $5000 added (Open entry was $135, everyone else was $110 per this page). And also by that q&d math, it looks like cash was added to Open and Women at pretty close to the same per-player rate. In fact, it looks like the Women got slightly more per player than the men. With 7X more players in Open, and the men paying $25 more in entry, of course the payout totals are going to appear pretty disparate.

Not sure there's anything to be critical about with the 2012 BHMO payouts, unless we think they should put a disproportionate amount of added cash in the women's division (I personally wouldn't object, but have no issue with a straight down the line proportionate share).

Required added cash has never been that high. This year it's $4000, and it's been $4000 since at least 2011. By my quick and dirty math, the 2012 BHMO had at least $5000 added (Open entry was $135, everyone else was $110 per this page). And also by that q&d math, it looks like cash was added to Open and Women at pretty close to the same per-player rate. In fact, it looks like the Women got slightly more per player than the men. With 7X more players in Open, and the men paying $25 more in entry, of course the payout totals are going to appear pretty disparate.

I was pretty close with my estimate. In my opinion, NT's should require a minimum of $10,000 of added cash but I know that could be tough for some hosts. I think that could really raise the bar up for some of the smaller NT's.

Not sure there's anything to be critical about with the 2012 BHMO payouts, unless we think they should put a disproportionate amount of added cash in the women's division (I personally wouldn't object, but have no issue with a straight down the line proportionate share).

Don't forget this tournament also raises between $4-6,000 a year for charity as well. To date the tourney has raised over $55,000 for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, all while having competitive payouts. There's a small group of guys who bust their butt to get everything ready and they do an amazing job every year. Getting two courses set up, one of which is only set up for the BHMO, is a lot of work. It will be a great weekend and I am sure Brent Hambrick is proud of their accomplishments.

Don't forget this tournament also raises between $4-6,000 a year for charity as well. To date the tourney has raised over $55,000 for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, all while having competitive payouts. There's a small group of guys who bust their butt to get everything ready and they do an amazing job every year. Getting two courses set up, one of which is only set up for the BHMO, is a lot of work. It will be a great weekend and I am sure Brent Hambrick is proud of their accomplishments.

:clap: What he said ^^^ :thmbup:

I know I'm still a relative noob, but have 160 courses under my belt, including some really decent temp courses, and the Hoover Westside is the best temp course imaginable. No matter what the payout, the opportunity to play that, plus the chance the pros have to play a unique final nine (with the dam shot - see the 6th post in the Crazy John Brooks thread!) make this a highlight of the year. With it being an awesome fundraiser, the club in Columbus creates a whole weekend full of activities, starting with a Thursday pro clinic. I'm actually tossing and turning as little at night already, thinking about the weekend ahead.

Oh, and good luck Brad! :p