• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 BHMO

goosefraba1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Why isn't anybody talking about this? Psyched to see some top pros sling some plastic next weekend.

Hey Zach, I arranged to play it this year (Intermediate), so I hope I have enough energy left by Sunday to watch them in the finals. Fantastic list of registered players! :thmbup: I've already mentioned to friends & family that if they want to come watch a tourney I'm in, just go to the opposite course and watch the pros show how it's really supposed to be done. :eek:

ps: snuck down to take a gander at Jacobson yesterday, but didn't plan ahead. Sorry I didn't contact you, but wasn't sure on my timing. Nice course. Brutal for us weaker arms!

Last edited:
I will be there just to watch the pros... I can play tourneys any time. It is rare that I get a chance to watch top pros. I actually played Jacobson yesterday.... it was super muggy.

I think we all have Worlds hangover to be excited about this one.

From the looks of the field, I wouldn't put it past Paul to bring home another win. I'm sure Doss, Lizotte, and Uli will be right there with him.

And at least Val will be able to win a NT. Only because Cat and Paige aren't playing. :\

I'm curious as to why there are only 46 Open players registered for an NT???

No Wysocki, but McBeth's playing. Which is like Ali with no Foreman. Frazier? You get the drift(a blacksmithing term btw). Somebody has to come in second.

From the looks of the field, I wouldn't put it past Paul to bring home another win. I'm sure Doss, Lizotte, and Uli will be right there with him.

And at least Val will be able to win a NT. Only because Cat and Paige aren't playing. :\

Val already has a major to her credit this year, as well as an NT (not to mention A LOT of runner-up finishes)...

I'm curious as to why there are only 46 Open players registered for an NT???

Yeah, and it looks like its capped at under 100 players overall, tons of top pros aren't playing, and somehow this is an NT? With all the different requirements there are for an NT, being able to field more than 3 Open Women and 46 Open players isn't anywhere in there?

Yeah, and it looks like its capped at under 100 players overall, tons of top pros aren't playing, and somehow this is an NT? With all the different requirements there are for an NT, being able to field more than 3 Open Women and 46 Open players isn't anywhere in there?

What control does the tournament staff (or the PDGA) have over who signs up? It's not like they capped Women at 3 and Open at 46. That's just who has happened to sign up.

If players are skipping this particular tournament for whatever reason (Worlds hangover, another NT the following weekend, etc), what can really be done?

What control does the tournament staff (or the PDGA) have over who signs up? It's not like they capped Women at 3 and Open at 46. That's just who has happened to sign up.

If players are skipping this particular tournament for whatever reason (Worlds hangover, another NT the following weekend, etc), what can really be done?

What I dont know is how many are skipping the tournament, versus how many were not able to get in. Under 100 seems like an awful small cap for an NT event. If they closed registration at that point all it takes is being one day late for tons of other players to not be able to make it in. So those field sizes are reflective to me of too small a field in general for an NT, while for virtually any other event cap it at whatever you want, and the field sizes can be reflective of who happened to register.

I think they probably capped the PRO side so small due to the AM side playing the other course during the same event. Most NT events are just PRO only and if there is an AM portion they may split that group to a weekend close to the NT event date.

I will be playing on the AM side this weekend and am looking forward to my first experience playing the BHMO. I think there was a 95 player cap on both fields so if PRO and AM weren't together there could have potentially been 190 OPEN players. Maybe they haven't been able to typically get close to filling just an OPEN field in the past, I don't know.

There appear to be three people on the waitlist, and they're still holding three spots for Touring card holders until the end of the day today. Assuming no more touring card holders claim those spots, the Open division gains two players and the Women's division gains one. The last time the BHMO was an NT, Open had 52 players and Women had 7. 48 and 4 is not that far off. So apparently the numbers aren't new and aren't considered unacceptable. And it doesn't look like there are players beating down the door to get in and can't due to the format.

Though I'm not a fan of holding Masters/Grandmasters/etc during an NT event, which may be what you're getting at. There are only two NT divisions as far as points and bonuses go, so I'm not sure why NT events offer anything but those two divisions. Would it be so difficult to require that events that want to run these divisions to do it as a separate A or B tier the way they must in order to run concurrent am divisions?

Cat will be in Memphis for the Southern Nationals Championships...

With World's being on the West coast this year, it seems that several players didn't feel like making the trip to Ohio. There is an event in Colorado that some folks are playing and I think there's another A-tier or two out there. That said, this won't be a cakewalk for McBeth. Big Jerm is defending champ, plus you got Uli, Doss, Lizotte and locals Schick and Horne who are capable of winning it all. The weather forecast is 50% chance of thunderstorms which could be a game changer as well.

As for the cap on players, one thing to consider is the use of the Westside temp course. It is a fairly rugged course where you can expect lengthy backups on several holes. Unless you run multiple ghost holes, it would pretty tough to extend the field when you have the Ams playing the Hambrick course and the Pros playing the Westside while the lack of extra land makes it tough to install additional holes. Hambrick has 27 holes so it's not really an issue when the pros are playing that course (2 out of 3 rounds).

It's not just the pro side, but I am kind of disappointed in the AM side as well. How am I the highest rated propagator in advanced at 942? Out of 95 people there are only 6 at 935 or higher which is crazy for an A-tier. Last year there were 20 rated above 935 out of 117.

It's not just the pro side, but I am kind of disappointed in the AM side as well. How am I the highest rated propagator in advanced at 942? Out of 95 people there are only 6 at 935 or higher which is crazy for an A-tier. Last year there were 20 rated above 935 out of 117.

Unfortunately, that's what happens when the Am side fills up before the end of May. I know a lot of Ams who had to sign up to play Pro because that is where the available spots were. As a result, you have diluted pools on both sides.

Latest posts