• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

PDGALive.com is live scoring three groups today. Looks like it is the defending champions' groups in Open, Women, and Masters. More coverage than I expected for day one, which is nice.

Would anyone familiar with the course comment on hole 6? What's the deal with it why so many big numbers?

Oh and the Joe Bishop thread = Awesome!

Would anyone familiar with the course comment on hole 6? What's the deal with it why so many big numbers?

Never been to the course, but just judging by the caddy book, I'd guess a combination of plentiful OB and high winds are what is causing the high scores.

Oh and the Joe Bishop thread = Awesome!

It's a 602ft. par 3.. I'm pretty sure that one is a misassignment. With lots of OB and moderate winds, I don't see how that one can actually play as a par 3.

Holy smokes, Ricky killed em. He was -7 with 4 to go and at least 5 or 6 shots ahead of the next guy on the card. Then he goes bird, eagle, bird, bird to finish and beat McCabe by 10 shot.

Wow, I'm impressed.

Edit: Wow, McCabe's -2 got him third and Ricky even bested the beast by 5 strokes. Looking forward to the rest of the tourney.

Holy smokes, Ricky killed em. He was -7 with 4 to go and at least 5 or 6 shots ahead of the next guy on the card. Then he goes bird, eagle, bird, bird to finish and beat McCabe by 10 shot.

Wow, I'm impressed.

Edit: Wow, McCabe's -2 got him third and Ricky even bested the beast by 5 strokes. Looking forward to the rest of the tourney.

This is with just two groups reporting, or about 10% of the field. Ricky's round is definitely a hot one, but there are a lot of players still on the course. His "lead" may not be so large once everyone's in. Or maybe it will be. Still way to early to tell, though.

From the looks of the caddy book, this course may even be lefty-friendly!

And seeing as how Ricky KILLED IT, I'm guessing that's the case.

Anyone care to chime in on the balance of the course? Again I'm only going by the caddy book and map, I'm about to watch the women's vids to get a glimpse but I haven't seen any course descriptions in this thread yet.

Since there's no video up yet, here's a list of the vids on the course page.

Most of the reviews just say it's bomb-bomb-putt course with very little obstacles.

Wonder if 1101 will hold up? Chuck ?

Whoops, didn't scroll down to see a bunch of cards still out.

Wonder if 1101 will hold up? Chuck ?

Whoops, didn't scroll down to see a bunch of cards still out.

It could. It's really all down to what the last 50 or so players left on the course do. I'd bet that if the unofficial numbers still say 1100+ when all the cards are in, it'll hold up to the scrutiny of the official process. But that's if the last 50-odd players don't move the needle all that much with their rounds. I think they could.

That may be the most wide open course I've ever seen. And this is coming from someone raised in Cornfield, Indiana!

The OB in some of those hole designs appears to be too restrictive, especially for the wind. Anyone know if these OB lines have been played before on these holes to test them in a lower tier event? Seems like this kind of scoring on holes should not be expected on holes used in Super tour and higher events if the hole layouts and OB rules had been tested in advance. Penalties in PGA events are rarely more than 1% of the scores.