• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Texas State Championship Mar 24-27

When it comes to live coverage and cell signals, I would have thought they would have worked that out by now.

Maybe switch over to a closed wifi mesh network and have a bunch of battery powered repeater stations they could place around the course.

There are probably ways to make it work but not cost effective.

Or probably more accurately way more cost effective if you only had a couple of fixed camera positions on the course. Having camera crews following certain cards adds a whole extra layer of logistical problems.

I see all these posts crying about "disc golf has left the woods" and I'm thinking... did we just watch the same tournament?

The Thorn seems like an honestly good mix to me. Sure there are some own holes (hole 1 comes to mind) but there are also some deplorably clogged "fair"ways, and the full range between those 2 extremes.

The Thorn seems like an honestly good mix to me. Sure there are some [open] holes (hole 1 comes to mind) but there are also some deplorably clogged "fair"ways, and the full range between those 2 extremes.

Moar deplorably clogged fairways! ;)

Despite my preference, I agree that the Thorn was a decently well balanced course. But I strongly prefer disc golf in nature, with whatever obstacles nature provides. For more than half of the U.S., natural obstacles = trees, perhaps with some bonus boulders, rivers, cliffs and whatnot.

For example, on the Thorn course hole 18 provided plenty of drama and score separation. But from a natural beauty perspective, it has all the charm of a crappy middle school course crammed in between the athletic fields and parking lot.

Ew. :\

I see all these posts crying about "disc golf has left the woods" and I'm thinking... did we just watch the same tournament?

The Thorn seems like an honestly good mix to me. Sure there are some own holes (hole 1 comes to mind) but there are also some deplorably clogged "fair"ways, and the full range between those 2 extremes.
I felt like it was a good course for a pro tournament, but many people may be comparing it to the course last year. Even Paige said in her post tournament interview "A lot of people are bummed that we didn't get to play in the woods here"
Starts at 3:59:40

Holes 1 & 2 were the only real shots that didn't have to manage trees off the tee. While the finishing hole and a couple on the back played around the fields, the course actually worked its way around a beautiful piece of property. It really is nice when it is fully leafed out -- lots of mature oaks and other hardwoods with some bushy evergreens splashed in. They didn't really get near the piney part of the property, which has its own charms.

The course looked great in March last year because we had an early spring. Ideal would probably be mid-April but it's so hard to predict Texas seasons. It could be in the 90s in April for all we know.

They say spring is the nicest week of the year in Texas.

Last edited:
Sounds like the course was really bad. Paul Ulibarri had to DNF. Per his FB page, he rolled his ankle pretty badly. Tried to push through it the next day and "rolled it again on that sand pit of a course".

Maybe Paul McBeth had the same issue.

Commentators mentioned fitting a bunch of times. Clearly, something was afoot.

The sand was unpredictable in how the disc would react when it hit. I don't remember it being like this on the dogwood course, but some shots would hit and stick while others would get some decent ground play.

I would think that the players would factor that in a bit more if they play this course again next year.

Jomez guys said this was "by far the most difficult course" on the tour so far this season. I can see the footing really messing with throws. Even my noodle arm throws get jacked up if I catch some little bump or something when I'm stepping up to throw.

I didn't get to watch much of the coverage on Saturday, so I missed a lot of the McBeth meltdown. Decided to watch Jomez today. The camera angle on hole #2 off the tee pad created a really weird optical illusion (to me). As if the drives were being throw over the pyramid on hole #1. It looks like Barsby almost hits the pyramid when his disc lands.

The sand was unpredictable in how the disc would react when it hit. I don't remember it being like this on the dogwood course, but some shots would hit and stick while others would get some decent ground play.

I would think that the players would factor that in a bit more if they play this course again next year.

Jomez guys said this was "by far the most difficult course" on the tour so far this season. I can see the footing really messing with throws. Even my noodle arm throws get jacked up if I catch some little bump or something when I'm stepping up to throw.

I'm not sure if the sand was a planned feature, or just a result of the dry conditions.

I thought the sand was very predictable in how it affected the disc. When it hit the sand the disc basically stopped. It was however very unexpected as a viewer in that you couldn't tell if the ground was hard pan or sand. I would expect that by the second round the players knew where the sand was and hopefully how to plan shots accordingly.

I'm not sure if the sand was a planned feature, or just a result of the dry conditions.

I thought the sand was very predictable in how it affected the disc. When it hit the sand the disc basically stopped. It was however very unexpected as a viewer in that you couldn't tell if the ground was hard pan or sand. I would expect that by the second round the players knew where the sand was and hopefully how to plan shots accordingly.

There were times the disc would skip.

There were times the disc would skip.

I watched live and I don't remember this happening. I remember upshots getting stuck 20 feet in front of the pin, and long putts stopping in the sand instead of rolling away.

Can you point to video of when this happened? I'm not saying it didn't, just that I don't remember it.

I have a preference for woods, but have to agree that The Thorn strikes a pretty good balance overall. Quite a few of the semi-open holes have enough trees that create low ceilings, or other obstacles players need to avoid.

It's a far cry from the openness of some of the other venues on the tour.

Imagine if they had to deal with roots, mud, rocks or wet grass. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I watched live and I don't remember this happening. I remember upshots getting stuck 20 feet in front of the pin, and long putts stopping in the sand instead of rolling away.

Can you point to video of when this happened? I'm not saying it didn't, just that I don't remember it.

Jomez pro...James Conrad.

Depends on how you measure difficulty I suppose. Waco was almost 2000 feet shorter and SSA was pretty much the same. I would say that makes Waco considerably more difficult.

Hole 4 Round 2 comes to mind. Barsby flicks a beautiful forehand approach that skips into the gulley, leaving him a difficult and STEEP uphill putt. Other approaches all seem to stick in the sand on this green. He drains the putt, but I don't think he was playing the shot to skip down into the gulley, which would be the likely result of the fading skip if it were not sandy.

**Disclaimer** This shot may stand out to me more because he threw my old 11x Eagle that I traded to him while he was visiting over the winter.

Latest posts