• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Texas State Championship Mar 24-27

I have a preference for woods, but have to agree that The Thorn strikes a pretty good balance overall. Quite a few of the semi-open holes have enough trees that create low ceilings, or other obstacles players need to avoid.

It's a far cry from the openness of some of the other venues on the tour.

That's exactly what I was thinking, good mix of wooded and open holes. Several of the "Open" holes did have gaps to hit and elevation was a major factor, primarily 13-15.
16 and 17 seemed very similar, just one longer than the other.

#18 may not be the most natural, picturesque hole, but it did have the most OB throws on the entire course, serious score separation on the final hole.

Hole 4 Round 2 comes to mind. Barsby flicks a beautiful forehand approach that skips into the gulley, leaving him a difficult and STEEP uphill putt. Other approaches all seem to stick in the sand on this green. He drains the putt, but I don't think he was playing the shot to skip down into the gulley, which would be the likely result of the fading skip if it were not sandy.

**Disclaimer** This shot may stand out to me more because he threw my old 11x Eagle that I traded to him while he was visiting over the winter.

Thanks. All I was saying is there was some inconsistency that might have played in to some players strategy, ie caused errors.

Depends on how you measure difficulty I suppose. Waco was almost 2000 feet shorter and SSA was pretty much the same. I would say that makes Waco considerably more difficult.

I wondered about that. But doesn't Waco have a reputation as an easy course for pro's if the weather is good?

That's exactly what I was thinking, good mix of wooded and open holes. Several of the "Open" holes did have gaps to hit and elevation was a major factor, primarily 13-15.
16 and 17 seemed very similar, just one longer than the other.

#18 may not be the most natural, picturesque hole, but it did have the most OB throws on the entire course, serious score separation on the final hole.

Not arguing with you on 13-15. I think they are great holes. 13 and 15 are both new (or at least new pin locations) and were both playing pretty easy for the field. There's room on that property to stretch them out a bit and add some challenge.

I think 16 and 17 are waaay different holes. 16 is almost a tunnel off the tee with a fairly open approach if you can get out of the tunnel and make it to the landing zone off to the left. 17 is pretty open off the tee but there's significant downhill there and wherever you land, the fairway narrows down severely with a pretty strict tunnel the last 150' or so.

I wondered about that. But doesn't Waco have a reputation as an easy course for pro's if the weather is good?

I think the wind was a pretty big factor at WACO this year compared to this tourney.

Is it still called "ground play" if a disc skips off water?

Philosoraptor.jpg

I watched live and I don't remember this happening. I remember upshots getting stuck 20 feet in front of the pin, and long putts stopping in the sand instead of rolling away.

Can you point to video of when this happened? I'm not saying it didn't, just that I don't remember it.

McBeth threw an on purpose skip shot approach on one hole when he was off the fairway.

Just go watch any round of Jomez, you will see multiple examples.

McBeth threw an on purpose skip shot approach on one hole when he was off the fairway.

You talking about the one he bounced one off the top of the basket?

When you watch the round, he was very close to scoring on several holes--just a little off. Then add in a few truly errant tree kicks. Changed everything.

Yeah people are calling McBeth's tournament a meltdown. It wasn't. He still finished top 10. He was playing good golf, just not obliterating reality like he sometimes does.

I'm aware Jomez does the post production. I have already watched it live, and don't feel like rewatching. I was hoping you could point me to specific examples but it seems you don't feel like taking the time just like I don't.

I guess we will have to agree to let this one go, lol.

I'm aware Jomez does the post production. I have already watched it live, and don't feel like rewatching. I was hoping you could point me to specific examples but it seems you don't feel like taking the time just like I don't.

I guess we will have to agree to let this one go, lol.

LOL...wouldn't want to take away from your valuable time trolling folks on DGCR.

Lol I'm torn on both sides of this matter.

I see people wanting a link if something is being referenced.

However I think I'm gonna ultimately side with…

If I've seen it and you haven't, and if you're taking the time to ask for a link…go find it yourself. You've already invested the time to ask, and I've already seen it and don't care to spend the time on it again.

Takes just as long to ask as it does to search for yourself.

PS if it's legit relevant to debate, yeah cite your stuff. But posting a time stamped YouTube link where you've actually gotta go back and watch to get the link correct…GTFO

LOL...wouldn't want to take away from your valuable time trolling folks on DGCR.

Why do you say that. Bored? Lol.

You are certain discs skip off sand and I honestly don't remember seeing it. It shouldn't be too hard to point to a link to show this. Troll.

If not, I'm fine with moving on. Unlike you who refuses to show evidence and instead resorts to incendiary bs comments.

Now who is the troll? And don't come up with your lame passive aggressive comment that you are just being sarcastic, txmxer...

Why do you say that. Bored? Lol.

You are certain discs skip off sand and I honestly don't remember seeing it. It shouldn't be too hard to point to a link to show this. Troll.

If not, I'm fine with moving on. Unlike you who refuses to show evidence and instead resorts to incendiary bs comments.

Now who is the troll? And don't come up with your lame passive aggressive comment that you are just being sarcastic, txmxer...

I'm not the one being passive aggressive.

I'm not the one being passive aggressive.

Well, burden of proof is on you. I can't prove a negative. You are presenting an illogical argument about sand.

And surely you can come up with better than a grade school response.

Lol I'm torn on both sides of this matter.

I see people wanting a link if something is being referenced.

However I think I'm gonna ultimately side with…

If I've seen it and you haven't, and if you're taking the time to ask for a link…go find it yourself. You've already invested the time to ask, and I've already seen it and don't care to spend the time on it again.

Takes just as long to ask as it does to search for yourself.

PS if it's legit relevant to debate, yeah cite your stuff. But posting a time stamped YouTube link where you've actually gotta go back and watch to get the link correct…GTFO

Alot of this is up to interpretation and likely can't be shown or proven on video anyway.

I'm open to possibilty it happened. BUT, what we can't see is many factors, such as depth , consistency, etc. of the sand. Deep sand will likely catch, a thin layer over hardpan may skip, but it wasnt the sand that caused the skip, lol.

So asking me to spend time to prove someone else's point, nahhhh. I agree, GTFO, lol.

If a disc can skip off water, why is it so hard to conceptualize that it COULD skip off sand? Even pure sand? Another point to remember is that sand is just one type of soil--silt, clay, loam, and peat being the others. Surely there are quite a variety of soils on that course, and who knows if any of it is 100% pure sand anyway.

If a disc can skip off water, why is it so hard to conceptualize that it COULD skip off sand? Even pure sand? Another point to remember is that sand is just one type of soil--silt, clay, loam, and peat being the others. Surely there are quite a variety of soils on that course, and who knows if any of it is 100% pure sand anyway.

Water has surface tension so if a disc hits at a certain angle the water acts like a hard surface. Sand doesn't. I agree and hope that it is possible to skip off sand.

I just don't remember seeing it that's all I'm saying.

Latest posts