• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

BigE

Birdie Member
Well we finally found out that Texas States will be in Round Rock this year :thmbup: Time to make plans!

any idea, resource, or forum on the courses, layouts, and/or rounds schedule? Even if tentative ot proposed?

Does anyone know why hfds decided to give this tournament away? Is there still an hfds at all?

i believe vinnie miller is still head td for this and i think they are using old settlers course in round rock. not sure on layout or if any other courses will be in play ,just know that old setts with lots of rope,will be used. atleast thats what he mentioned to me last time i played with him.

That's a start :thmbup: Great NEWS with Vinnie Miller! Not sure I like rope but I will never miss this tournament! Don't tell anyone, but I have never played all of Old Settlers which is a shame. I had a chance to play the first couple of holes when I started playing 10 plus years ago, but the noodle arm I had then was no match after a full day of other Austin area courses :D

TXStDGC Facetube Page said:
IF you haven't already heard.......Round Rock will host a NT ......named Texas State Disc Golf Championships March 21, 22, 23......and the Ams will play the same layout March 7, 8, 9.....Time for Texas shine

TXStDGC Facetube Page said:
OSP.....With USDGC style OB

Pulled from the Faceplace

They are splitting up the Am and Open to separate weekends? Wowzer don't think they have ever done that :popcorn: It does make a lot of sense with the size of this event!

So there is only going to be 1 course? And what was wrong with the 2011 at jack brooks?

I did not play the 2011 year (I personally love tight wooded courses) but I heard part of the problem was the back up. I believe the idea behind one course is so the Traveling participants only have to learn one course. All of this will come out in time. You can bet that Vinnie Miller does a AWESOME job! The competition is only half of the fun at Texas States!

I have always enjoyed TX States - every year since 2008 (except 2013). Even at Tom Bass, which are my least favorite courses in Houston. Jack Brooks was a nice change I thought, and it was truly awesome to follow the MPO lead card on the last round.

Enjoy if you have an hour to spare...

At Jack Brooks? Just curious, what was wrong with it? I enjoyed it...

LONG list.
Hacked together Temp course used for Pro divisions. Should not have been used... Period.
Some baskets rusted so bad some of the chain links were actually Cs... rusted THROUGH. Fix that before hosting an NT.
Island holes flagged the morning of tournament. Not before. Completely different from description in players meeting.
HUGE payout for ams. (TD said he was afraid he'd lose his ams by running an NT). Basically stated Pros were an inconvenience to them...
Temp course was really poor... Mandos marked (barely) morning of or evening before start.
No signs out, Temp course baskets only put out for a few hours before start, then pulled and put back each day.
Several holes on permanent course did not have basket in place prior to morning of, we played to original basket locations.
General quality of courses. Meh. About 15 wooded holes and the rest were open field shots.
Temp course was not professional. I love a good temp course, this one was an afterthought.
Insultingly deep and rich am payout... $480 for Advanced first place... over $400 for third... Recreational first was like $220... Why was Recreational at an NT???
Pro spots were capped to allow more ams. Yeah. Only 24 Pro Masters the week before US Masters an hour away. LAME DECISION.
Everyone was crammed onto three courses. Why not run separate weekends???
MANY Pros were turned away to make spots for AMS. I have no problem with Ams, but it's an NT!!! I traveled over 20 hours to get there.

That's SOME of it. Tournament review submitted to PDGA and Event Director.

Oh yeah, MPO only had 2 courses to learn... and the majority of those holes were permanent. MPM had to play all three, including the temp course, which we had almost no way to practice.

Senior Divisions

Can anyone say if Senior Grands and Legends (Am & Pro) will be offered? Not a current option at registration. Thanks.

LoL Matt! Three years later and still smarting. Glad you survived it...sounds like we were lucky to make it out alive. I enjoyed the 2011 TX states, but I guess I don't expect the Super Bowl at a disc golf tournament.

Hope I can make it this year, Round Rock does it good!

Texas States Moving out of Austen 2015

I love Texas States moving around the State of Texas. I just heard this past weekend that this is Vinnie's Last year as TD! I have enjoyed the time it has spent in Austen including this year with it being a NT both years!

Is Joe Bishop playing on Brad Williams card again? If so, I will fly out just to watch that hilarity.

Latest posts