• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Good call. Still wonder why it is so much less now (half?) If anything sponsorships/endorsements should have increased since then.

Innova basically used to bank roll this.

They eventually realized it wasnt in their best interest to invest so heavily.

mtak127 maybe this video can help answer your question- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjB6BujjPw

I just watched that whole video and I have to say it was a pretty heavy conversation regarding disc golf, it's current situation (circa 2011) and the reality of what is going on in pro disc golf. Mr. Poole has my respect and I'm glad he's stilling working on the USDGC.

Randomly noticed the stats for Hole 5 in the caddy book from 2013 open flight:

Double - 5%
Bogey - 8%
Par - 41%
Birdie - 45%
Eagle - McBeth

amazing

Lizotte had a decentish shot at the three the day I was spotting. He was the only person all day to get across the water in two throws. He had a pretty long putt, but a putt none the less. McBeth was the only person to throw a roller off the tee IIRC.

From looking at this years's caddy book, it looks like nobody's gonna be laying two on the green. The tee shot looks to be a bit harder (longer) than last year. I can imagine a lot of the performance flight folks are gonna struggle with it this year. I guess we'll see what happens.

Climo won 15k in '07 or '08 as well. AFAIK 15k is the highest it's paid out. I used to be an Innova partner for the event and the story I heard was that the prize pool was basically coming out of their pocket and bleeding them dry. Not only were they investing a huge amount into the tournament, but they were withholding a disc from production that could have very well been one of if not their biggest seller (Champ Roc) specifically for fund-raising.

In 2010, they announced the performance flight for the next year with a plan to alternate performance to regular scoring every other year.

In 2011 the hype for the event was a huge step down from previous years and 1 or 2 of the pros even withdrew due to "injuries" that, regardless of validity, were speculated just because they weren't enjoying the rounds and weren't playing for money anyway.

In 2012 they went to this half and half format which seems to offer a decent mix/compromise of the two. I really liked when it was super prestigious and offered far and away the best payout in DG, but at least the current format is sustainable and quite enjoyable.:clap:

EDIT: Didn't realize that the video above was the explanation of what happened. Don't have time to watch it right now but would love to know how much of my memory (what's written above) and what Poole had to say actually jive and how much I misremembered.

Last edited:
Does Vegas offer a line on this event?

I'd take Feldberg at 7:1.

Back in the day, I did odds based on player ratings and standard deviations of individual round scores. Then we played some message board betting games. Or something.

Anyway, here's the way the odds looked in 2002:
Code:
Player.......	Win	Top 2	Top 3
Climo………………	2:1	1:1	1:5
Schultz………………	4:1	1:1	1:1
Russell………………	7:1	3:1	1:1
Schweberger…………	7:1	3:1	1:1
Rico………………	8:1	3:1	2:1
Leonard………………	20:1	9:1	6:1
Schack………………	24:1	11:1	7:1
Feldberg………………	41:1	20:1	13:1
Todd………………	41:1	20:1	13:1
Hammock………………	101:1	50:1	33:1
Lundmark………………	126:1	62:1	41:1
Martin………………	126:1	62:1	41:1
Brinster………………	169:1	84:1	55:1
Greenwell………………	169:1	84:1	55:1
Anthon………………	254:1	126:1	84:1
Lissaman………………	254:1	126:1	84:1
Nodland………………	254:1	126:1	84:1
Gangloff………………	509:1	254:1	169:1
Haney………………	509:1	254:1	169:1
Jenkins………………	509:1	254:1	169:1
McCoy………………	509:1	254:1	169:1
Sinclair Total…	509:1	254:1	169:1
TheRestCombined	100:1	50:1	25:1

Final results were:
1. Climo
2. Schultz
3. (tie) Leonard and Young

You could have made 25:1 betting The Field to finish Top 3, since Mike Young did it.

Ah man, these were the good ol' days. I should do this again.

(edit) Now that I think about it, maybe those odds were actually pari-mutual odds based on bets placed in our message board game. It was Worlds, not USDGC, that I did odds based on simulated outcomes for ratings and standard deviations.

Last edited:
Regarding #5:

From looking at this years's caddy book, it looks like nobody's gonna be laying two on the green. The tee shot looks to be a bit harder (longer) than last year. I can imagine a lot of the performance flight folks are gonna struggle with it this year. I guess we'll see what happens.

The elevation is quite a bit different, too. Presumably, the new dock tee is right on the water. The old tee for #5 is quite a bit higher. 597+464 is a big ask with both shots over water and no elevation change.

Weren't the drop zones on #7 super stupid last year? I remember some controversy over that. I don't think the caddybook is detailed enough to indicate their exact position this year.

Weren't the drop zones on #7 super stupid last year? I remember some controversy over that. I don't think the caddybook is detailed enough to indicate their exact position this year.

From the website:

Players throwing OB by missing the mandatory bamboo wall entryway will have an easier time to save par now. The two drop zones have been moved from the extreme corners of the mando line to an area that faces the entryway.

Regarding #5:

The elevation is quite a bit different, too. Presumably, the new dock tee is right on the water. The old tee for #5 is quite a bit higher. 597+464 is a big ask with both shots over water and no elevation change.

Oops -- forgot they were already down by the water last year.

Spectator tips

Is this the best place for people attending ass a spectator on Saturday to ask for tips and info on where to go and what to do to see as much great disc golf as possible? Or is another thread better for that? Thanks!

Looks like the design was changed a bit from when it was a par 5. The tee and basket are in the same place, but the OB/hazard areas have been tweaked. The area between the tee and the sidewalk used to be entirely OB, now it looks like you can come up short of crossing the sidewalk and be in bounds.

But I imagine the par change has much more to do with scoring average than anything physical. It has always been the easiest par 5 to birdie. There have probably been enough birdies and eagles recorded to drop the average score enough to call it a challenging par 4 instead of a relatively easy par 5.

Who in the open flight comes up short of the sidewalk? Dont think that changed the scores any. With no stroke and distance it is a 4, most top level pros make that green easy and if they go OB the worst they get is a 5 with a chance to still make 4.

Who in the open flight comes up short of the sidewalk? Dont think that changed the scores any. With no stroke and distance it is a 4, most top level pros make that green easy and if they go OB the worst they get is a 5 with a chance to still make 4.

With disc technology and PEDs, I think it's a 2-shot hole these days, especially for the open flight. Really not much different than when the USOpen will take a hole like #2 at Pebble Beach and call it a Par 4 for the USOpen, even though it's a Par 5 (every day and even for the annual PGA tournament).

Unless the design of the hole specifically dictates a 3-shot hole with only 2 *heroic* shots getting to the green, then you might as well call it a Par 4 if the vast majority of your field is reaching the green in 2.

Regarding #5:

Last year's tee was down lower, not too far from the water, and not up high by the road. The hole was listed in the caddy book at 1005' if I remember correctly, compared to around 1050' as in years past. It really didn't play too much different, although when I was in the same spot in 2010, nobody's drive made it past the ditch, while last year a couple of drives did.

I can't believe that Paul McBeth, World Champion, called out Mike C., DGCR Champion, in this very thread and the entire site didn't explode.

Latest posts