• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open

Awesome Stoked to See Jeremy come on strong today. Rep that NC Brotha Man!

Catrina Allen finished -5, Ulibarri is -4 with two to go. :popcorn:

All guys who got beat by Cat (at least those with 975 ratings and up) should give her a buck and a "nice round!"

Haha, I recall her VEHEMENTLY objecting to that suggestion...

But really, it's about respect... and Cat could afford to buy shots for the mopey guys who got beat by ya...

Paul is exempt... they tied.

Like so many others, I will preface this by saying THANK YOU to Jussi for running a great event, SpinTV for trying some new things, and both for responding in this forum during the event.

But, that's not to say I'm on board with how the event is being covered.

Our goal is to showcase this great sport of Disc Golf to all people, not just hardcore fans.

We are not making play-by-play videos from Rounds 1-3. We are concentrating to make The Insider Show as good and enjoyable as possible. This is a completely new format we go for.

This two are contradictory. The Inside Show is only for hardcore disc golf fans. To showcase the sport to "all people, not just hardcore fans," showing round footage would have served that purpose better. Only people deep enough into the sport even know who Doss and Feldberg are, and would be interested in the things they have to say about tournament mindset and playing in the Presidents Cup.

Our course and facilities are built to take up to 5,000 spectators on-site on Championship Sunday. We had 2,000+ at the Presidents Cup.

How GREAT that will look on video, and how much it can showcase the growth of our sport, to see 5,000 international spectators watching a final round at an incredible course, and one that is EXCELLENT for filming I might add. Another reason why we want more footage, SHOWCASE this great course and event!

Sunday, we will have 29-person crew to make National TV-broadcast and 10+ person crew to make The Insider Show. Along with that we have 3 person online media crew. That is more media coverage and personnel than ever in Disc Golf tournament (I know). We are talking about well over $50,000 investment for these medias and coverages. Our long-term plan is to expand the sport, not cater only the hard-core fans. It not realistic that someone would watch 4-hours of slow-pace play-by-play and get hooked to this. Do not get this wrong - we still love you guys.

I'm thankful for the investment, really I am, but it seems like overkill. How is it that almost 50 people are needed to cover one round and an interview show?

This sport is still very grassroots, and we've seen much of the best coverage come from grassroots cameramen who shoot and edit on their own, and post within days or sometimes hours of the event's finish. I understand it takes more to broadcast live, and I assume you need lighting/cameramen/makeup(think they missed a spot on Jamie's forehead tanline? kidding :D)/etc, but it seems like it could be done with the same high caliber for much less manpower and investment. I don't know the details, so maybe I'm off on this, just calling it how I see it.

I will say I enjoyed The Insider Show. Ran a little long, but all in all it was well done. I like the camera angle that covers the whole set pointing down slightly for perspective, then the additional cameras level with the top of the players' heads for contrast and cutting. Good set design with the backdrop, TV, European Open logo, and those crazy chairs.

To nitpick:
--- the lav mic on Nate and Hoeniger made them sound like they were at the end of a steel tunnel. Feldberg's and Jamie's sounded great.
--- JT, wear some sunscreen :D
--- Would obviously love more highlights of the rounds, but understandably difficult to edit and have clips prepped for a live broadcast.
--- Only two lefty throws on the highlight reel. :eek:
--- That pile of discs on the floor would look better on a small coffee table and break the space between JT and the players.

Watching the live feed with Nybo and Simon right now, and the sound seems to be great.

Again, I'm THANKFUL for all that's being done! Doesn't mean I can't give my opinion on how to improve :D

I'm thankful for the investment, really I am, but it seems like overkill. How is it that almost 50 people are needed to cover one round and an interview show?
I can easily imagine how it can take so many people to do a live broadcast for national TV. 50+ grand isn't that much money really.

Really enjoying the Insider Show, Live hole by hole scoring, and the EO instagram account with plenty of video updates.

Pretty impressive round by Catrina today, especially compared to the rest of the ladies. KJ was on fire, just a smooth solid player, and McBeast continued to distance himself against the field. Im curious to see if he can keep up the pace and get another double digit major win just one week after the last. I wonder if that -12 will be broken these next couple days? I've always wondered when that "perfect" round would be shot in tournament play. One day someone will play perfect golf on a course like this, and I just hope theres someone filming for us to see.

That'd be amazing a "perfect round" shot at a major event. And no video coverage...

:\

This two are contradictory. The Inside Show is only for hardcore disc golf fans. To showcase the sport to "all people, not just hardcore fans," showing round footage would have served that purpose better. Only people deep enough into the sport even know who Doss and Feldberg are, and would be interested in the things they have to say about tournament mindset and playing in the Presidents Cup.
Agreed. I LOVE what SpinTV is doing with the Inside Show, but the reason I love it is because I already care about disc golf. I highly doubt I would win any converts by showing them footage of David Feldberg sitting in a chair talking about "sticking to the plan". But for people who know the players and follow the tournaments, the show is absolutely fantastic.

Kinda like any other sport. Would you rather watch a football game or watch a couple of players talk about the game they had yesterday? Interview shows and coaches' shows are for the diehard fan. Live game footage is for everyone.

FWIW wall to wall tournament coverage (as in full round coverage multiple days) has NEVER been SpinTV's angle. In fact, I think the Japan open last year was the only event they've ever filmed 2 days. So I'm not sure why anybody is shocked that a channel that almost always only covers one round is... guess what? ONLY COVERING ONE ROUND!

Its kind of their job as innova and discmania reps i would think.

Look at what marty does for prodigy. The disc golf "boy" couldn't even get on his level when terry handed the reins over! Do work.

Doubtful. Summary of the incident from an eyewitness on the Finnish DG forums (says he was a couple of meters away from Koling, quick, rough translation):

"Fyhr was approaching the 18th green, crossing the corner, going over the spectators on the left, but his shot was 10-15m short of the basket into OB. Hit Jerm back of the head on the right side, nothing serious. Jerm took it like a man, didn't even shout, after a moment, showed thumbs up back to the fairway and was joking about it."

Simon Lizotte kept mentioning in The Insider Show that he wants to break into the top 16 tomorrow so that he can be on a "TV card". Does that mean that the last two rounds are being filmed and aired live or post competition? Does anyone know anything about this?

Simon Lizotte kept mentioning in The Insider Show that he wants to break into the top 16 tomorrow so that he can be on a "TV card". Does that mean that the last two rounds are being filmed and aired live or post competition? Does anyone know anything about this?

9:10AM EST, on YLE Areena (Finnish TV) http://areena.yle.fi/1-2737768

Per PDGA Broadcast Schedule

McBeth surprised me when he came in third at Maple Hill, especially after having the lead, but I can't bet against him. Can't do it.

i like the quality of the tournament. I was at Nokia watching the President's cup and i'm going there today too.

Having said that, I don't like the retarded media rights. I'm glad there are tournaments that are not that restrictive when it comes to shooting some video material. Last year's European masters started this restrictive way and we only have final round filmed.

I'm happy to Lat64 guys in Sweden gave us live feed last week.

I really wanna see Paul's first round and Nybo's second round and last but not least FPO second round.
Can you imagine the Open at St. Andrews showing only the final round?

Yeah I wanna see a battle between McB and KJ, down to the last holes. 15-18 are killer holes in their own right, and doubly so when the Championship is on the line.

Media rights talk... couldnt care less

Yea, I guess one great televised round will be a fantastic thing to watch and I hope it goes off without a hitch.

Latest posts