• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

Your regular rounds will certainly be counted, however, the final-nine round, if you played, it will not be included. Rounds must be at least 13 holes to be counted.

Does anyone know if the ratings for our rounds at worlds are included in our overall rating once it gets submitted? Someone said they don't count them?

Once they go official, the ratings in rounds 1-5 and semis will count.

Hiestand was my favorite course. That to me is what disc golf should be. Token Creek was pretty good too, though I could have had a few less of the very open holes. Elver was good but it had a couple of goofy throw and hope holes. Capital Springs has too many open holes. I liked the elevation change and the few woods holes, but otherwise it doesn't seem like a very good course for a world championship competition. The rough at Bird's Ruins was ridiculous. I don't know how that passed muster for a tournament of this size. One guy throws into the rough and finds his disc in a couple minutes and still has a clear and open next shot. Another guy throws in the rough and the group can't find his disc within 3 minutes. Sorry, take a stroke and re-throw from your previous lie. Didn't happen to me, but it did to another guy in my group and I know it happened to many other people. I felt so bad for them. The tall grass was so bad that even having a spotter on the hole didn't mean you were going to find your disc, even if it was just 10-20 feet off the fairway.

The only other place I've ever been to Wisconsin was Highbridge, but they seem to have a different philosophy in course design in Madison. Maybe it's that way in Milwaukee and elsewhere, but I wouldn't know. Their course design approach seems to be heaven/hell - you're either in the fairway or you're in the rough with virtually no escape shot possible. I think a lot of players probably got into trouble thinking they could throw hyzer bombs over the rough, when wind conditions or the distance of carry just didn't allow it. It would take incredible discipline, but I think I would have thrown a midrange off every tee, especially at Bird's Ruin, because the risk of landing in the rough just wasn't worth it. It's not an optimal strategy for scoring and it's fairly boring golf, but it would prevent the big numbers from lost discs and short pitchout shots. I don't know if this "smart" golf strategy is the aim of the course design, but it's what I was struck with.

The only other place I've ever been to Wisconsin was Highbridge, but they seem to have a different philosophy in course design in Madison. Maybe it's that way in Milwaukee and elsewhere, but I wouldn't know. Their course design approach seems to be heaven/hell - you're either in the fairway or you're in the rough with virtually no escape shot possible. I think a lot of players probably got into trouble thinking they could throw hyzer bombs over the rough, when wind conditions or the distance of carry just didn't allow it. It would take incredible discipline, but I think I would have thrown a midrange off every tee, especially at Bird's Ruin, because the risk of landing in the rough just wasn't worth it. It's not an optimal strategy for scoring and it's fairly boring golf, but it would prevent the big numbers from lost discs and short pitchout shots. I don't know if this "smart" golf strategy is the aim of the course design, but it's what I was struck with.

I'm guessing you think Pennsylvania golf is the best...

kermit-meme-112414png_1qq16n1pph2ky139ki81oqxxiw.png

Shouldn't you be punished for being off the fairway? Madison is birdie fest IMO and easy enough to stay out of the rough. My gripe is the lack of milti shot holes and all the par 4s that are really par 3.5 at best.

I play in the open division when I do compete which is not often. However I do not lable myself a professional. Just like to play with good golfers.

I play in the open division when I do compete which is not often. However I do not lable myself a professional. Just like to play with good golfers.

:hfive:

I really like the Madison courses, but I've played much better courses and even only a couple of hours away (uhh....Rollin Ridge, anyone?).

I think Elver is the best of the bunch, but I get the smack down put on me when I say it aloud because Hiestand is king of the hill in Madison.

I really like the Madison courses, but I've played much better courses and even only a couple of hours away (uhh....Rollin Ridge, anyone?).

I think Elver is the best of the bunch, but I get the smack down put on me when I say it aloud because Hiestand is king of the hill in Madison.

Elver is a lot of people's favorite around here. I'll give you no smack for that. It's definitely a coin flip between which is better.

I've just played the area once, but I liked Elver better than Hiestand also.

It's the same thing down here in the St Louis area, everybody rants and raves over Jefferson Barracks, it's a fun course but there are a few others I'd rather play instead. Say that out loud though and people will give you grief.

Shouldn't you be punished for being off the fairway? Madison is birdie fest IMO and easy enough to stay out of the rough. My gripe is the lack of milti shot holes and all the par 4s that are really par 3.5 at best.

This. So many holes were driver off the tee and then a putter up shot. At least push some of those 4s back another 100 feet or more to make the up shot something interesting. I found it strange that there wasn't a single par 5 all week also. :(

This. So many holes were driver off the tee and then a putter up shot. At least push some of those 4s back another 100 feet or more to make the up shot something interesting. I found it strange that there wasn't a single par 5 all week also. :(

There would have been a few if birds was all long tees. Not sure why so many shorts were played. Pace of play I guess, but adv played all longs in the glide series, so idk.

There would have been a few if birds was all long tees. Not sure why so many shorts were played. Pace of play I guess, but adv played all longs in the glide series, so idk.

I agree with the first point. A lot of the courses had holes that were either everyone gets a three or you need a 2 to keep pace. I thought token creek was the worse offender, especially 19-27, the holes need to be 100 feet longer or shorter in a lot of spots.

Birds all longs looked terrible to me. Even more dumb golf.

I actually liked birds ruins. Its defininately a different style of course then Ive ever played before. I can see the complaints, but as long as no one is taking lost disc penalties (my group didnt, which is some luck and some skill) I think the style is reasonable, even if it isn't my preferred idea of disc golf per se. It had a good risk reward equation, where most holes were reachable but high risk, which is good design to me.

I think a lot of the nasty rough (which wasn't just birds by any stretch) that made fairway pitch outs a lot more common then I'm used to seeing is just the plant ecology of the area. In Wisconsin anything that doesn't get mowed regularly just turns into a impenetrable tangle of sh!t. Not really anything anyone can do about that, it's just WI for ya. Im just more used to the pine forests of NC/SC/GA where thick underbrush doesnt really grow under trees the same way it does in WI.

I got a huge kick out of Elver, because when we played it somehow it was both super wooded AND super windy! I call shenanigans on that one. Great course though.

Cap springs was boring. I love throwing hyzers, but that was excessive. Oh well, not every geographic area has 5 above average courses within reasonable driving distance of each other.

Hiestand is a wonderful course in my book. Just wish #9 from the long was a better hole. I play NC golf all the time, so when I call a hole "poke and pray" you know it's pretty unreasonable. The parks dept ripped out that obnoxious teepad blocking cedar on 18 this week, which fixes the only other problem on that course, too bad it wasn't done before world's.

I wanted to love Token, but for some reason it comes up slightly short in my book. A little too open in some spots, long but not long enough in others. I dunno, that's a course that should have been right up my ally, as it reminds me of some of my all time favorites, but it came up short for me. Just missing something.

This was my first worlds, so I can't compare to other years, but I thought the Madison crew put on one heck of an event. Everything ran smoothly, there was never any confusion in my pools. I also loved the schedule they had us on. I had never done it before but 2 one round days of 27 hole courses was a GREAT schedule. All in all I had a lot of fun and I think Mike and co did a heck of a good job.

Token is kind of an earlier prototype for BRP with nice grooming and amenities for a somewhat more open course but lacks elevation for those like me that feel a decent amount is needed to be considered a top rated course.

The decision for using the shorter layout at Bird's Ruins was a combination of the host team wanting everyone to play all five courses and the PDGA course assessors (Shawn and me) feeling there were way too many blind holes from the longs that would require guaranteed spotters, many Worlds players don't or can't take the time to even walk nor practice the courses in advance which would lead to excessively long 27-hole rounds with clueless players wandering down fairways to figure out where to aim their throws having not practiced their range. As it was, some groups still took almost 6 hours to play the shorter layout. I think we might have been persuaded to do more or all of the longs for some divisions at Bird's Ruins if everyone just played an 18-hole layout.

I think the host team walked a nice line with their choices for the final layout used, being reasonably challenging and playable for the wide range of ages and skills at an Am Worlds.

Last edited:

Latest posts