• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Worlds Locations

Lions provided balance as the "open" course for divisions not playing CP Adams which was the most open course for MA1. Plus, it had dual tees for the young juniors along with the swimming pool. Sometimes other reasons for using a course at Worlds than just challenge, especially when a backup is needed.

I wasn't impressed by Lions, but the other two were absolutely worthy as a Worlds venue, at least for Ams. Bryant is the best maintained public course I've ever seen (except for the single chemical porta-potty, that stunk :()

You mean the one that is usable when you are at holes 1, 3, and 14, has both male and female stalls and is permanent? It was probably just a bit overwhelmed with worlds.

Be nice to have Worlds back in OH, specifically cincy area..Had it back in 98 last I think

Being relatively new at this, I've not yet GONE to an Am Worlds (despite qualifying!), and would LOVE to have it return here, too. We definitely have the courses for amateurs to compete on that level. The trick would be pulling together a real leadership team willing to put up with all the effort and headaches this would take. I do believe we've got a few generous folks who would help...but lead?

Being relatively new at this, I've not yet GONE to an Am Worlds (despite qualifying!), and would LOVE to have it return here, too. We definitely have the courses for amateurs to compete on that level. The trick would be pulling together a real leadership team willing to put up with all the effort and headaches this would take. I do believe we've got a few generous folks who would help...but lead?

This is what it takes - people to help out is great but you have to have a few leaders. The guy who led Charlotte (Sam) seemed like a true leader and did a phenomenal job. Whenever I saw him he looked exhausted (which makes sense) but he did a great job leading.

Quoted for truth and emphasis. You have nailed the heart of the matter when it comes to pulling off a major tournament like Worlds. It's not simply a matter of having good courses or enough courses, it's about having the leadership and personnel in place to organize and run the tournament. Worlds isn't your average 1-day C-tier at the local park. Heck, it's not even your average A-tier at the local course(s). It takes the right kind of person(s) and/or the right kind of club to pull off a huge event like Worlds.

Some places have the courses without the right TD/club. Others have the perfect TD/club but not the courses. It's a rare blend to find both in the same place.

I think Am worlds are harder to run getting the trophies and additional players and players packs going.

I think Am worlds are harder to run getting the trophies and additional players and players packs going.

True, but the event also comes with the added benefit of being able to put something back into the TD/club coffers at the end of the event (via the sales of player packs and/or payout). Breaking even is at least feasible with such an event. This has always been the reason the lines to apply to host Am Worlds are usually longer than those applying to host Pro Worlds.

True, but the event also comes with the added benefit of being able to put something back into the TD/club coffers at the end of the event (via the sales of player packs and/or payout). Breaking even is at least feasible with such an event. This has always been the reason the lines to apply to host Am Worlds are usually longer than those applying to host Pro Worlds.

Hmmm...in theory, yes but I know certain AM worlds that lost money because maybe of the leadership and decisions made... Ever see that business that is always popping, with customers; well known, people travel there to patron...then it just closes down? And you think, wow, how did that happen? Everything looked so nice. Yeah, kind of like that.

Maybe others could speak to this, but does anyone have examples of Am Worlds locations that actually became better, not prior to worlds, but after it left...with the "added money in the coffer." I dont feel that is the case in Charlotte, and I didnt notice any great improvements in Rochester when I visited in 2013.

Hmmm...in theory, yes but I know certain AM worlds that lost money because maybe of the leadership and decisions made... Ever see that business that is always popping, with customers; well known, people travel there to patron...then it just closes down? And you think, wow, how did that happen? Everything looked so nice. Yeah, kind of like that.

Maybe others could speak to this, but does anyone have examples of Am Worlds locations that actually became better, not prior to worlds, but after it left...with the "added money in the coffer." I dont feel that is the case in Charlotte, and I didnt notice any great improvements in Rochester when I visited in 2013.

Please note that I didn't say that the clubs made a ton of money from the event, just that they could put something back in the coffers at the end of the event. A LOT of money is spent upfront in organizing and putting on an event the size of Worlds. Some of that money/goods/services is donated (nothing lost, nothing gained), but some of it has to be fronted by someone or something. Am Worlds provides a much greater probability that those that front the costs of putting on the event get compensated on the back end.

Charlotte probably isn't the greatest example because it was a combined Worlds. Like most other events, anything gained by the Am side probably was used to offset losses on the Pro side (where there is no player pack or prize payout to earn even a dollar of profit on). But even still, didn't Charlotte get to build at least a couple new courses specifically because they were hosting Worlds? Courses that might have been put on the backburner or been pushed off by the parks department if the specter of hosting wasn't there. And didn't some of the existing courses got some equipment upgrades (i.e. new baskets, new signs, new tees, etc)? Those are all benefits of hosting, even if they were all cost-free or essentially break-even kind of deals for the club.

^^^^
Ams worlds maybe. I don't think the quality of course is as good as it needs to be to make a worlds happen in eastern PA. There some really good courses but to make it work 2-3 of course would be between 45 minutes to an hour away from home base. Not sure if that type of drive would work

It worked in '05. Also, from what I've seen around the country, Allentown is still a destination for disc golf and still has World's quality courses. Nocky, Blue, Jordan, Parkway, Tinicum...what more do you need for variety and awesomeness? We do need people willing to put the time in and lead, like the other comments have said.

I heard that Raleigh NC may be working on an am worlds bid...but I think they are shooting for 2017 at the earliest.

im going to throw in Cincinnati, We have a couple nice courses that can be transformed into some monster courses.

Airy on the gold layout, harbin on the gold layout, and?? idlewild, but that's more greater cincinnati. Still, if worlds came to cincy I'd lose it

But even still, didn't Charlotte get to build at least a couple new courses specifically because they were hosting Worlds?

This definitely happened. Plantation Ruins was built specifically for Worlds and RL Smith was as well I believe.

This definitely happened. Plantation Ruins was built specifically for Worlds and RL Smith was as well I believe.

Also Bradford, Elonx2, Nevin, Scrapyard, Eastway, and maybe even the Bailey rd expansion to 18 holes.

so 9 new courses.

Branson, MO in 2020!!

I know there's only 1 current course suitbale for major play, but 5 pieces of property have been identified and course designs are in the works and the city is backing the whole effort. Sponsors are being identified and monies are coming in.

Also Bradford, Elonx2, Nevin, Scrapyard, Eastway, and maybe even the Bailey rd expansion to 18 holes.

so 9 new courses.

We were given the following properties and the stipulation that Worlds would be all in Mecklenburg County.
William R Davie Park - Matthews - Taken away due to over use of park concerns.
Fisher Farm - Davidson (literally across the street from Brackets) would have been epic.
Another 40 acre piece of land in Davidson next to Brackets that would have been a disc golf only park.
White Water Center - taken away by WWC
Eastway
Nevin
Elon 2x
Idlewild
Bradford
Winget
Bailey - we worked with Huntersville for this

So yes, 9 courses but we had planned up to 12. But for anyone doing this. Plan and get approval for 2-3 more courses than you need... you will lose property for many reasons.

Most importantly, it takes a special group of people (not club necessarily) and park department to make this happen. Charlotte had just under the right amount, and that was A LOT, we over worked ourselves. It is not easy and it will burn most of those people up. Additionally, you might push to make those extra courses, but if you do not have labor infrastructure in place, they will quickly go to waste after that worlds. Park departments are not prepared to add that mowing or trash removal in many cases. You need enough dedicated people and planning and support by a park department to build them at a reasonable pace, and keep people interested when they over grow and fill with trash later. We out built our labor pool in Charlotte in my opinion. We also out built our interest in disc golf. Many of our courses you can get on at any time with out any wait. That is a positive.

Finally, build your courses and complete them NO LATER than 1.5 years before your worlds. Run events there, cut and adjust accordingly. Do not be doing this a month before the event, it will be obvious. Spray and murder everything as soon as possible...dont let those $#@$@# seed and root.

Branson, MO in 2020!!

I know there's only 1 current course suitbale for major play, but 5 pieces of property have been identified and course designs are in the works and the city is backing the whole effort. Sponsors are being identified and monies are coming in.

We played Pro and Am on 14. I think a good Am Worlds would be played on 8-10 courses. Our goal was no 3 round days courses had 1 or 2 per day. More than that causes issues when weather comes and it burns out the TD's. You dont want that. I dont think an Am worlds should be played on less than 8 courses. 6 is the bare minimum and it appeared to be a real beast in 2011...when you have few courses you also throw in the potential for lots of travel. Its nice to cluster divisions in smaller areas. We have enoughtworld level courses now, we could do an Am worlds where all your courses are within a 6-7 mile radius, even though the courses used by all divisions are 40-50 miles a part. (if the Pro's weren't in town)

It worked in '05. Also, from what I've seen around the country, Allentown is still a destination for disc golf and still has World's quality courses. Nocky, Blue, Jordan, Parkway, Tinicum...what more do you need for variety and awesomeness? We do need people willing to put the time in and lead, like the other comments have said.

^^^^^
I think the game has changed a ton since 2005. I think Nocky, blue, Jordan would make the cut....parkway needs to be reworked and tinicum is tough long to long but is nothing special. Long open holes are boring. Maybe if villas crossing is as good as everyone says it is that that would be a good option.

This line up could work....Nocky, blue both courses, Jordan with some adjustments, and villas crossing,