• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Texas States

really enjoyed the course on the first video. I've been watched way too many of these to not share.

just become a patreon and got signed up pledging the standard one buck a vid. my first patreon account sign up.

cool stuff!

I have a new favorite player to watch. Every time Garrett Gurthie steps to the tee, I think, "Okay, wait for it...wait for it...boom!" And, the commentators seem to be thinking the same thing. They can't get believe his throws. Absolutely top tier Disc Golf power.

The fact that he looks like he is throwing 275 ft makes it all the more awe inspiring.

I thought that course looked pretty sweet. I only saw the back 9, but liked what I saw.

I almost really loved it. I hate luck holes so bad that just a couple of bad greens or lucky lines off the tee can really sour my overall view of the course. It's actually quite rare to find wooded courses that don't have at least a couple poke n hopes. The theme on the holes I did not on this particular course seemed to be a tight but fair first 3/4 of the hole and if you hit that line, you had a lucky last 1/4 of random trees to get through in order to reach the green. I only noticed it a couple of times and really liked a lot of the holes, but since that is a huge pet peeve of mine I can see where Rusch is coming from. But I have learned that you really have to be there to judge a course and only so much can be gathered from video.

Plants in the Houston area grow like a jungle vine in the springtime. You can get a foot of growth in a day. If there's any trail, it's played a lot.

TAT,

I played this weekend, and I live in Houston, while a couple of the holes looked like they were really blocked, they weren't. I compare TAT with some of the best courses in the game. It's only real weaknesses are, the opening holes, rain, and mosquitoes. Rain and mosquitoes are Houston, the open nature of the retention pond is tough (the opening holes). The designer worked really hard with that retention pond to get the most out of the holes and frankly, I think he succeeded. That's why it is a very popular course.

Other thoughts. I followed Bradley and I like the Cactus moniker, but mainly cause it's embraceable. Last year when people were commenting on his deadpan approach and whether he was drugged, I didn't think so. When you follow him you realize that he keeps himself in very tight control when he's playing. That's his center. Seems smart to me given what he's gone through.

Paul Uli has to one of the nicest guys on tour. You don't have to follow him far to recognize that he talks to kids, dogs, and everyone else in a very personable fashion.

GG is having fun. I saw more smiles, grins, and enjoyment from him than you see from most. Since that is a criterion I use when selecting players to support I will have to keep an eye on him.

I talked with Andi Lehmann on the course (owns Spring Valley with her husband Don Young) and she was amazingly excited about what Anthony accomplished. Talks about him and other local players, including BW, like they are family. Andi had been playing a long time when I started twenty years ago. She has made a huge time investment in making Spring Valley work, if you're ever in the area stop by, play, and say hi.

GG threw a 657 roller, shown in round one, in that wind. Friggin' amazing to watch, and watch, and watch.

I liked the commentary, they got better every round as they learned each other.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't tell if I'd love Texas Army Trail or hate it. I've definitely played courses like it in NC, with super technical "only one line to the basket" type fairways. I'm like Cactus, I prefer multiple options but in TAT's defense it seemed to change up what one perfect line it demanded from you per hole instead of favoring one kind of shot repeatedly. I noticed that Perkins seemed to be making hay with lots of abbreviated throws off the tee where you just punch it through the gap instead of doing the usual full rip and that's a skill tailor made for these types of courses. If you widened all those fairways up a few feet more it'd be great IMO. The only thing I'm pretty sure I'd hate are the first 3-4 open holes with the greens in a pocket of woods. Seemed repetitive and holes like that irk me for some reason, seems unimaginative.

What a great win for that guy. I went and looked at his page, 974 rated with only 2 previous wins last year a Ctiers. Shot 1042 1017 1051. I don't know if that guy always putts the way he did this weekend but damn he's had icewater in his veins...:thmbup:

What the hell was the deal with BWill when he would sometimes use Pauls name like an announcer would and talk like he wasn't there? lol...:confused:

TAT,

I played this weekend, and I live in Houston, while a couple of the holes looked like they were really blocked, they weren't. I compare TAT with some of the best courses in the game. It's only real weaknesses are, the opening holes, rain, and mosquitoes. Rain and mosquitoes are Houston, the open nature of the retention pond is tough (the opening holes). The designer worked really hard with that retention pond to get the most out of the holes and frankly, I think he succeeded. That's why it is a very popular course.

Other thoughts. I followed Bradley and I like the Cactus moniker, but mainly cause it's embraceable. Last year when people were commenting on his deadpan approach and whether he was drugged, I didn't think so. When you follow him you realize that he keeps himself in very tight control when he's playing. That's his center. Seems smart to me given what he's gone through.

Paul Uli has to one of the nicest guys on tour. You don't have to follow him far to recognize that he talks to kids, dogs, and everyone else in a very personable fashion.

GG is having fun. I saw more smiles, grins, and enjoyment from him than you see from most. Since that is a criterion I use when selecting players to support I will have to keep an eye on him.

I talked with Andi Lehmann on the course (owns Spring Valley with her husband Don Young) and she was amazingly excited about what Anthony accomplished. Talks about him and other local players, including BW, like they are family. Andi had been playing a long time when I started twenty years ago. She has made a huge time investment in making Spring Valley work, if you're ever in the area stop by, play, and say hi.

GG threw a 657 roller, shown in round one, in that wind. Friggin' amazing to watch, and watch, and watch.

I liked the commentary, they got better every round as they learned each other.

Yep, last round was really good.

I'm guessing Paul was okay with the rd 2 course. Bradley? Not so much. He was kinda trying to keep the disdain out of his commentary. Kinda...

I do like a course like that, and it's fun to try to hit those lines. But maybe I agree with him in that it doesn't make for fair tournament golf. I'd rather see a few of those "hit the line and use a little luck" holes sprinkled in with some others that give more choices. Idlewild comes to mind as a course that does it well.

Yeah, I can't tell if I'd love Texas Army Trail or hate it. I've definitely played courses like it in NC, with super technical "only one line to the basket" type fairways. I'm like Cactus, I prefer multiple options but in TAT's defense it seemed to change up what one perfect line it demanded from you per hole instead of favoring one kind of shot repeatedly. I noticed that Perkins seemed to be making hay with lots of abbreviated throws off the tee where you just punch it through the gap instead of doing the usual full rip and that's a skill tailor made for these types of courses. If you widened all those fairways up a few feet more it'd be great IMO. The only thing I'm pretty sure I'd hate are the first 3-4 open holes with the greens in a pocket of woods. Seemed repetitive and holes like that irk me for some reason, seems unimaginative.

All four of those first four holes have alternate tee positions that are in the open. It is still unimaginative but it is so frustrating to just be a tad off your line and land in the bushes with no line to the basket.

All four of those first four holes have alternate tee positions that are in the open. It is still unimaginative but it is so frustrating to just be a tad off your line and land in the bushes with no line to the basket.

My guts says those holes aren't good design. They're essentially wide open holes that encourage you to lay up and play for par. Ain't nobody got time for that.

DISCLAIMER: THANK YOU FOR THE FREE CONTENT

dear jomez crew - please never let bradley williams commentate another video. ever.

I didn't mind Bradley, a little dry, but it was something different.

As long as they never have Avery Jenkins or Crazy do commentary!:gross:

I'm all for trying out different pros. I like to see what their demeanor is. Gives me a different sense of who they are as a player and how they play the game. I never paid much attention to Uli until I heard a few of his commentaries last year.:thmbup: