• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

Ken Climo rocks as a commentator. Don't know why I'd be surprised. He's the Champ after all.

I know I niced this comment and shouldn't add more than that but I only got to hear the last couple of baskets -- it was impressive how nonchalant Climo was. I would have expected him to be more pompous -- well done Ken.

Is someone producing the Climo impersonating Barsby video? I'm thinking wig, drum set, . . . .? Just me? Meh -- it would be funny . .. . just saying.

I can understand the desire to innovate and bring coverage to a professional level. I can't understand the thinking behind inserting an infomercial into the middle of the final round. I actually preferred commercials to these 15 minutes segments.

Around the middle of the round I tuned in on my lunch break. It was essentially a waste of time as I saw about three shots. I think the viewership totals can attest to the intrigue of the whole production. It was sitting around 3.5k viewers. Compare that with 11k for smashboxx at worlds. Maybe if there was actual disc golf on the screen people would want to tune in.

I thought he was going to pull a JEM after he shanked that drive on 17 but he made a great recovery shot. Then that approach on 18 was greatness.

I know I niced this comment and shouldn't add more than that but I only got to hear the last couple of baskets -- it was impressive how nonchalant Climo was. I would have expected him to be more pompous -- well done Ken.

Is someone producing the Climo impersonating Barsby video? I'm thinking wig, drum set, . . . .? Just me? Meh -- it would be funny . .. . just saying.

I do that all the time, and Climo's style was worth extra comments. Felt like I was sitting chatting with him.

Climo doing Barsby would be a hoot!

I can understand the desire to innovate and bring coverage to a professional level. I can't understand the thinking behind inserting an infomercial into the middle of the final round. I actually preferred commercials to these 15 minutes segments.

Around the middle of the round I tuned in on my lunch break. It was essentially a waste of time as I saw about three shots. I think the viewership totals can attest to the intrigue of the whole production. It was sitting around 3.5k viewers. Compare that with 11k for smashboxx at worlds. Maybe if there was actual disc golf on the screen people would want to tune in.

I sort of wonder if it wasn't actually down time? Were they talking while we missed action. I admit, I was in and out.

Ken Climo rocks as a commentator. Don't know why I'd be surprised. He's the Champ after all.

I thought he was a bit too much laid back, little to no energy, excitement, etc, in his voice. Definitely could rock as a not so often point of view guy. Would bore me to death as a full time commentator. lol..

I thought he was a bit too much laid back, little to no energy, excitement, etc, in his voice. Definitely could rock as a not so often point of view guy. Would bore me to death as a full time commentatorlol..QUOTE]

I can see this. For me, his understated language allowed me to enjoy the play more.

I've been on the Climo doing commentary wagon since 2002. On the old DiscTV show, he missed the cut at Masters Cup so joined Brian Sullivan on commentary for the final 9 and was excellent. Still the best color commentary I've heard...didn't overdo it with flowery language, didn't try to fill every silence (helped they were recording live on the course). Always thought he'd be the ideal choice if disc golf coverage got traction, and he was retired from MPO at least.

As for today's broadcast, I didn't get to watch so I can't comment on it, but to me, any live coverage is better than no live coverage. I imagine the last few holes were fun to watch as things got so tight. Hopefully I'll find some time tomorrow to take a look.

The coverage was better than expected but the long video about the volunteers could have been followed by tape delayed action of the holes that were missed then show tape delayed for the rest of the round. The huge gap of missed holes in the middle of the back 9 where scores got closer was a little disappointing.

What a great day to be here at Winthrop..
Did udisc scoring for Paige B's group at 9am then on to watch the lead card at 1:50pm...what a great finish...McBeth delivered an incredible approach on 18 when the tournament was on the line...

Attachments

• 20181006_173917.jpg
    20181006_173917.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 72
Okay, so the fairway of hole 18 has two chickens walking around on it?! Is this normal for Winthrop University, or are we turning this into a Zelda game?

I'm thinking the strategy is to release a bombchu from the left shadows while the first chicken is stationary and the second chicken is moving up slope.

I calculate the best chances for eagle for a 1026 rated player are holes #10 (13%) and #2 (2.4%). Anything else is less than one chance in a thousand, with the best chances being to ace #17, throw-in on #13, or ace #1. Then comes #5 with a one-in-2200 shot at eagle.

Now if it happens, you'll know how excited to get.

Well, it happened twice, it seems. #13 was eagled by 1025 and 1016 rated players (GG and Adam Hammes), and both were in circle one putts, not throw ins :)

Okay, so the fairway of hole 18 has two chickens walking around on it?! Is this normal for Winthrop University, or are we turning this into a Zelda game?

I'm thinking the strategy is to release a bombchu from the left shadows while the first chicken is stationary and the second chicken is moving up slope.

That was unexpected. I think they were roosters but may have been small chickens.

I think what Innova was banking on, by pushing spots involving EDGE, Chains for Charity, Throw Pink, etc., is that people tuning in to watch coverage might actually want to be involved in growing the sport, and causes the sport is involved in. By the comments during the live coverage, it was rather evident that 90% of people tuning in could give 2 Craps and only wanted to see the plastic circles fly. When the FREE coverage of a event you Enjoy adds some things that may be important to the sport as a whole, I cannot understand all the complaining and whining. Watch the Jomez Post Coverage for Every single throw. Let the FREE Live Coverage do their business, and just Maybe, give them a "Thank You" for ANY live coverage at all. Now, back to your regularly scheduled "Disc Golf Coverage should go like THIS!" programing. :popcorn:

P.S. I am NOT HARPING on Your comment in Particular, lenfantsuave. This is mostly based from comments during the livestream. Not picking on Your reply....

Last edited:
Interview with Hannah was super awkward.

Yeah, I get that staffing a broadcast can be tough when there aren't a lot of experienced folks in our game. Hannah is willing and capable, and did a great job on the Worlds FPO broadcasts, but having her be the on-course reporter covering her own husband was weird. I didn't see yesterday's broadcast but Friday's post-round interview with Paul can definitely be described as awkward.

I think what Innova was banking on, by pushing spots involving EDGE, Chains for Charity, Throw Pink, etc., is that people tuning in to watch coverage might actually want to be involved in growing the sport, and causes the sport is involved in. By the comments during the live coverage, it was rather evident that 90% of people tuning in could give 2 Craps and only wanted to see the plastic circles fly. When the FREE coverage of a event you Enjoy adds some things that may be important to the sport as a whole, I cannot understand all the complaining and whining. Watch the Jomez Post Coverage for Every single throw. Let the FREE Live Coverage do their business, and just Maybe, give them a "Thank You" for ANY live coverage at all. Now, back to your regularly scheduled "Disc Golf Coverage should go like THIS!" programing. :popcorn:

P.S. I am NOT HARPING on Your comment in Particular, lenfantsuave. This is mostly based from comments during the livestream. Not picking on Your reply....

those complaints are just very poorly worded criticisms.

a disc golf tournament is like a story: there are ups, downs, and tons of changes. the problem with the live coverage was when they cut away from the live stuff we still know very exciting stuff is going on and their solution is "listen to this fluff piece and watch the action on udisc!!" :doh:

i wish i had just waited to watch the jomez coverage but i almost definitely would have had the final result spoiled for me today if i tried to go that route.