• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 2018- What is everyone's longest disc these days?

BOLT! I spent 30 minutes searching for this one day. I kept saying "play through, I've lost a disc!" And people kept helping me look. Finally one person walked 150 feet past the very furthest spot I could even IMAGINE the disc getting to, and THERE IT WAS! Mind blown! I'm still astounded to this day how far a Bolt can go!

much debate between internet distance and real life distance

however, ive thrown with some people who are "hitting 450+" and barely make it past 325.

So true, lol
Here's an example: James Conrad, Nate Doss, Paul McBeth all crush, right?
I spectated round one of the 2016 Minnesota Majestic and watched these three tee on Blue Ribbon's famous driving range hole.
2uombs5.jpg

Now, the teepad is elevated and the fairway is FLAT. I was standing at the ditch line spotting (just in case).
288wmd2.jpg

Paul McBeth cleared the ditch by 30'ish. Nate Doss greased over the tall grass in the ditch. James Conrad (throwing a white star BOSS) hit the ditch, subsequently OB.

The ditch is in the neighborhood of 430' to 450', depending upon what line you take. McBeth cleared, Doss greased over, Conrad was short. It's crazy though, because everyone on these forums and Facebook can easily reach 400'+ on flat and probably be putting for two on the 760'er that is BRP's driving range hole, because it's downhill after all.

Last edited:
Bolt

BOLT! I spent 30 minutes searching for this one day. I kept saying "play through, I've lost a disc!" And people kept helping me look. Finally one person walked 150 feet past the very furthest spot I could even IMAGINE the disc getting to, and THERE IT WAS! Mind blown! I'm still astounded to this day how far a Bolt can go!

Another great long disc. I can throw the Bolt for days, but it almost never goes where I want it. Very flippy and hard to control. When you hit it right there might not be a longer disc on the market.

I mess around with a Bolt in the field occasionally, but have never bagged it for course use.

I could maybe land discs in that ditch, but probably not clear it. All the throwing I do is in Colorado. I have zero clue how discs even fly in Minnesota or what the elevation is. I'd probably have to do a bunch of throwing there to get the hang of it.

I can say that my first few attempts at that hole would probably be massive failures because I'd have to learn how discs fly closer to sea level.

It does look fun though. I'd love to try it just to see how it goes.

long shots

Here's a long water carry at a course in CO. The hole position varies, but its about 340' to carry that lake at its nearest point. Good players don't have trouble clearing this, but beginners do. I've pulled probably 500 discs out of this lake over the years.
The hole also plays downhill.

Here's a long water carry at a course in CO. The hole position varies, but its about 340' to carry that lake at its nearest point. Good players don't have trouble clearing this, but beginners do. I've pulled probably 500 discs out of this lake over the years.
The hole also plays downhill.

What did you use to get that measurement that is shown in the pic? There is a couple of water carries that no one really knows how far they are. I can easily cover both, but really want to know how far it is to the other basket from the other tee. Basically one hole goes straight across the pond, and the other goes across the pond at an angle, both of them tee from the same side so they have to clearly mark the baskets. I've gotten close to the wrong basket in the longer configuration, but I want to know how far it really is.

i used to be able to get near 400 and occasionally past 400 with max weight champ terns and ddx.

but i gave up the unpredictablility of terns/ddx and disc downed to cd3 and wraiths and dealt with the loss of distance with more overstable star destroyers.

i noticed i got in so much less trouble by just smoothing a speed 11 or working with the overstable star destroyer. if that means going back to 350 so be it.

i'm trying to get that tern distance out of my cd3 and star destroyers this year.

i still have my money terns and ddx in storage just in case though.

Champ beasts
Bubble destroyers
I hardly ever carry them... 80% of the wooded courses i play, max out at 320/350... No room to run.

Has been and still is the Star Destroyer since they were released many years ago.

So true, lol
Here's an example: James Conrad, Nate Doss, Paul McBeth all crush, right?
I spectated round one of the 2016 Minnesota Majestic and watched these three tee on Blue Ribbon's famous driving range hole.

Now, the teepad is elevated and the fairway is FLAT. I was standing at the ditch line spotting (just in case).

Paul McBeth cleared the ditch by 30'ish. Nate Doss greased over the tall grass in the ditch. James Conrad (throwing a white star BOSS) hit the ditch, subsequently OB.

The ditch is in the neighborhood of 430' to 450', depending upon what line you take. McBeth cleared, Doss greased over, Conrad was short. It's crazy though, because everyone on these forums and Facebook can easily reach 400'+ on flat and probably be putting for two on the 760'er that is BRP's driving range hole, because it's downhill after all.

this is exactly the type of post i was talking about. this is 100% accurate.

ive only hit 400 once on this and it was in a crazy left to right wind rhbh.

however i could understand the laying up approach. but lets face it. if youre on the driving range, your ripping at least 5 drives off and going for that high score.

i used to be able to get near 400 and occasionally past 400 with max weight champ terns and ddx.

but i gave up the unpredictablility of terns/ddx and disc downed to cd3 and wraiths and dealt with the loss of distance with more overstable star destroyers.

i noticed i got in so much less trouble by just smoothing a speed 11 or working with the overstable star destroyer. if that means going back to 350 so be it.

i'm trying to get that tern distance out of my cd3 and star destroyers this year.

i still have my money terns and ddx in storage just in case though.

I really want to do this, but then I have a great day with my Terns, and I change my mind. I have a slightly beat older Star Wraith that I just love. It's great at lots of things, but not my single best disc at any one thing. I still may add a fresh Star Wraith, then reserve a Destroyer or two for headwinds. Just seems like I hardly ever get to play rounds with zero on the line anymore.

These days, after a back surgery and getting older, I'm using a Pro Wraith for max distance. I can still pump out the wider rims plenty far, but the Pro Wraith is just SO much less effort and a little more controllable/straight. The D2s, Destroyers, Trespass, Giant ect have been retired in lieu of the easier, softer way. ;)

What did you use to get that measurement that is shown in the pic? There is a couple of water carries that no one really knows how far they are. I can easily cover both, but really want to know how far it is to the other basket from the other tee. . . .

Try downloading Google Earth. As long as you can find landmarks it does a fine job of measuring distances.

What did you use to get that measurement that is shown in the pic? There is a couple of water carries that no one really knows how far they are. I can easily cover both, but really want to know how far it is to the other basket from the other tee. Basically one hole goes straight across the pond, and the other goes across the pond at an angle, both of them tee from the same side so they have to clearly mark the baskets. I've gotten close to the wrong basket in the longer configuration, but I want to know how far it really is.

I used Google Earth. I think its pretty damn accurate too. I've measured things on there I know the actual distance of.

This is probably what I'd say. Both of these are unreal for distance. In fact, I think Shrykes in all 3 plastics (G*, star, champion) will bomb. I'd like to try a heavier champion Shryke. The one I have is 165. Massive bombs, but perhaps a hair flippier than I'd like.

My best Shryke is a 175g G*. Of all the discs I own (and its many), I don't think anything can touch it consistently for distance.

My G* are all super flippy now. The Star currently in my bag is getting to the point of no return on turnovers- I'm really only using it for all out max D or lower power hyzer flips/low ceiling.

The Champ Shryke is pretty much my go to distance driver currently. It is filling the role of a well seasoned Star Destroyer for me, but straight out of the box and in Champ plastic. It has more forward glide for me as well, which means I don't have to throw it as hard as a Destroyer to get the same distance.

These days, after a back surgery and getting older, I'm using a Pro Wraith for max distance. I can still pump out the wider rims plenty far, but the Pro Wraith is just SO much less effort and a little more controllable/straight. The D2s, Destroyers, Trespass, Giant ect have been retired in lieu of the easier, softer way. ;)

I have not put a caliper on one, but is the Trespass really bigger rimmed than the Wraith?

Yeah I totally get the "internet distance" claims. Often people take their longest ever measured drive and say "Oh yeah I throw Xxx feet" which is technically true. They CAN throw that far under perfect conditions, but that doesn't mean that's their average drive or even that they ever get that distance on an actual course.

For myself, I take a laser range finder to the driving range with me. I'm driving about 20 feet in front of a huge tree stump that's easy to get readings off of, so I know how far I can throw on the range for sure. I'd say last summer when I was going to the range a fair bit, I was at or over 400 feet on probably 20% of my drives and clearing 370 on more like 75%. On an actual course under tournament conditions? Haha, way less likely. I played one tournament at a course with a lot of long, open holes where I probably got close to 400 feet on maybe a handful drives over 36 holes. I know for sure I threw over 400 feet on one hole because I went OB long and measuring that hole on Google Earth it's exactly 400 feet from the pad to the OB line, lol. I'd probably never go for a water carry greater than 350 feet under most conditions though because I don't like losing discs.

Anyway, back to the question of longest disc. Right now, who knows? It's cold and wet and I'm pretty much never getting my max D on the course or going to the driving range. I've been messing around with a small all-Vibram bag most of the time, so I guess the Lace is the longest driver in there. I don't think the one I have is quite beat up enough to be as long as my GStar Destroyers or Shrykes yet, but in this weather it's hard to know for sure. I'd say the Lace has as good a shot as any high speed driver to being my longest eventually, but I don't think there's any magic bullet. It's all about working with a speed 12-13 driver until it's at the right stability and I know it well enough to get the most out of it.

Latest posts