• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17

Any guesses for what kind of score it will take to win Worlds? around -30 for FPO and -45 for MPO ?

At Ledgestone, Paige Pierce averaged 1002 round ratings to score -25 on three rounds a Sunset Hills. I haven't heard anything about how Northwood Blue plays for the women, but it feels like the kind of course that would play at or above par. I guess that a -30 would be extremely good for the week.

Paul averaged 1084 round ratings to score -31 on three rounds at Eureka Temp. I've heard speculation on various videos of practice rounds that a -10 is "maybe attainable" on Northwood Gold. If we consider Paul's -31 about as good as possible for the three Eureka rounds, averaging -7 at Northwood Gold seems reasonable. Something like -28 at Eureka and -17 at Northwood also feels like a realistic way to hit -45. I like that guess.

Any guesses for what kind of score it will take to win Worlds? around -30 for FPO and -45 for MPO ?

Ledgestone gives a good preview for three of the rounds. That was won with -31 for MPO and -25 for FPO.

Those winning round ratings, when applied to Northwood Gold would be 10 or 11 under per round. Best guess would be -52 for MPO.

No data on Northwood Blue, so wild guess for FPO would be -42.

The payouts for the field events including the long drive are abysmal. If the same player took down all 3 events in the MPO field he would have won $340.00 total. I'm guessing a year is plenty of time to get some sponsors on board, especially for the long drive event, to ante up some cash for a bonus prize for the top 3 in return for banners, flags, etc, lining the fairway, putting area, etc.

$340 for throwing 5 discs far, putting 18 times and then basically playing 18 holes of disc golf under 200 feet (most of which under 100) without putting out is abysmal?

Man, my standards must be low.

Väinö has been super solid in all the videos I have seen of him lately. And he seems to be on lots of them.

Glad I will also get to watch Jalle smooth the discs out there too.

Go Finland!

$340 for throwing 5 discs far, putting 18 times and then basically playing 18 holes of disc golf under 200 feet (most of which under 100) without putting out is abysmal? Man, my standards must be low.

And that's if you win all three. lol..

hmm..interesting point. Perhaps I'm giving too much credit for the word "Worlds" in this event overall. If it's "just" another tournament, and just another "long drive" competition, ok..throwing the furthest that day and taking home $125.00 for 1st place isn't that bad. But if this event (and all of the field events) are supposed to represent the "World's" best then yes payouts for the field events are abysmal.

In the long drive you had: Garrett Gurthie, Thomas Gilbert, Seppo Paju, Simon Lizotte, Anthony Barela, Kevin Jones, Drew Gibson. Obviously those are the best in the sport right now competing to see who can throw the furthest (with some accuracy involved as well). Obviously there's something driving these guys to compete here. Maybe sponsor bonus, prestige, media exposure, etc. Why not reward these elite players with a bonus for coming out and putting on a show?

...because Nate Heinold has obviously had nothing to do for the past year other than raise money for funsies events...

If NONE of the elite players quoted above signed up for it, then I would agree with your "funsies" comment. Otherwise yes, I think it would be easy to get a few sponsors to ante up some bonus money to give to the winner.

Last edited:
And that's if you win all three. lol..

hmm..interesting point. Perhaps I'm giving too much credit for the word "Worlds" in this event overall. If it's "just" another tournament, and just another "long drive" competition, ok..throwing the furthest that day and taking home $125.00 for 1st place isn't that bad. But if this event (and all of the field events) are supposed to represent the "World's" best then yes payouts for the field events are abysmal.

No one said it is "just another tournament", IMO EVERY long drive competition is "just another long drive competition". (I don't care about the baseball home run contest either.)

If NONE of the elite players quoted above signed up for it, then I would agree with your "funsies" comment. Otherwise yes, I think it would be easy to get a few sponsors to ante up some bonus money to give to the winner.

I think that the comment I have a problem with is "easy to get a few sponsors...". Who? We already tap the manufacturers for so much. Player sponsorship, event, tour, worlds, & media. We are starting to try and squeeze them too much I think. Maybe that money could have come from a bag manufacturer, online retailer, or another sponsor but it isn't like we have those in abundance. The Worlds event itself is the biggest show we need to focus on, the rest are (as Climo called them...) "Reindeer Games".

I am SURE that if you wanted to volunteer your time to help get sponsorship for the 2020 Utah Worlds field games it would be greatly appreciated.

I think that the comment I have a problem with is "easy to get a few sponsors..."

The term "easy to get a few sponsors" is a bit loaded and I do apologize. However....I'm being very specific to the long drive competition, mainly due to the elite players that showed up. My "easy to get" opinion is in reference to getting some additional funds to give to the winner of this event. Let's say we wanted to give $500.00 to the winner of the long drive next year. Are you saying it would be very hard to get that amount? Locally here in the DFW area peeps are paying $50.00 or more for a small paper sign to put next to a tee @ C & B tiers. Seems like it would be doable to get 2 sponsors to ante up $250.00 in return for being able to put their banners, flags around the field event area, near the long drive tee, etc, etc. Obviously you would know more than me, but does that really sound not doable?

The term "easy to get a few sponsors" is a bit loaded and I do apologize. However....I'm being very specific to the long drive competition, mainly due to the elite players that showed up. My "easy to get" opinion is in reference to getting some additional funds to give to the winner of this event. Let's say we wanted to give $500.00 to the winner of the long drive next year. Are you saying it would be very hard to get that amount? Locally here in the DFW area peeps are paying $50.00 or more for a small paper sign to put next to a tee @ C & B tiers. Seems like it would be doable to get 2 sponsors to ante up $250.00 in return for being able to put their banners, flags around the field event area, near the long drive tee, etc, etc. Obviously you would know more than me, but does that really sound not doable?

I think it IS doable. It is just a matter of priorities. Limited people focusing on limited things. The field games become an afterthought.

I think it IS doable. It is just a matter of priorities. Limited people focusing on limited things. The field games become an afterthought.

I definitely have zero knowledge on PDGA resources, and how they are prioritized. And I also forget how much the sport is driven by people simply volunteering their time. Thank you your comments.

In the long drive you had: Garrett Gurthie, Thomas Gilbert, Seppo Paju, Simon Lizotte, Anthony Barela, Kevin Jones, Drew Gibson. Obviously those are the best in the sport right now competing to see who can throw the furthest (with some accuracy involved as well). Obviously there's something driving these guys to compete here. Maybe sponsor bonus, prestige, media exposure, etc. Why not reward these elite players with a bonus for coming out and putting on a show?

You are confusing the worlds best players who throw far and the worlds longest throwers. This really isn't a true world distance contest, despite the name.

The issue is adding cash to these events really doesn't do much for the event. The say $1,000 added is much better served getting pallets of water for the main event later in the week.

Field events are a tradition and there's almost no chance they would exist if the concept of the worlds was created today. It's never been nothing more than just a fun day and it's not intended to be more. The title of the event is certainly a misnomer.

Latest posts