• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

They sell a ton of discs! They're number two in Europe behind Innova. Was surprised how many they moved when Seppo told me.

thats so hard to believe

in mn unless youre in cales crew almost no one else throws them

occasionally you will see a pa4 around but thats about it

thats so hard to believe

in mn unless youre in cales crew almost no one else throws them

occasionally you will see a pa4 around but thats about it

I've literally never seen anybody throwing a Prodigy disc in OH

I don't know about Innova's ability to buy "quality" plastic. I don't even know anything about plastic. I do know that 52.5 million in revenue is very very little compared to other lines of manufacturing.

The 1000th ranked company by Fortune made 1.8 Billion in revenue last year. Obviously no one expected a disc golf company to be on this list but you can see that apart from the top dawgs Walmart (500 Billion... :gross:) the bottom of the list 900-1000 are much closer together. You could extrapolate that by the time you got down to 52.5 million there would be thousands of companies of a similar size, probably tens of thousands. http://fortune.com/fortune500/list

Infinite discs posted a blog awhile back that said they sold 10 times as many discs in 2016 as they did when they first started. In that blog they posted a percentage of their sales by brand. It appears to be at least a fairly good gauge of market share.

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/disc-golf-sales-trends-by-brand/

They didn't post how many discs they sold or what the average price was. Can't blame them for that. Same reason the disc golf companies aren't posting their earnings online.

Speculate away!

Fortune Mags top 10:

Innova
Walmart
Exxon Mobil
Berkshire Hathaway
Apple
United Health
McKesson
CVS
Amazon
AT&T

FTFY

I've literally never seen anybody throwing a Prodigy disc in OH

ive seen their molds get "clearance'd" out at local stores and even gggt and it takes forever for them to clear the shelves

i couldnt even give away a m3 i found at a local course (no name or number) hahaha

Im going with Paul is going the Jordan route and branding himself and making his own line of discs and he is going to throw those exclusively. Everybody says hes going to Discraft but maybe he is making his own discs that Discraft will mold up for him, or maybe innova will. Who knows. But thats where my money is now. McBeth Disc Golf. Hes gunna crush.

Steve cough Rico cough

I will also say that the Kevin rumor seems off base from what I know

I definitely think it's more than rumor - was told the Star team was dispatched to try and wine and dine him, as it were. But that was pretty recently compared to some of the headway other companies had made.

I'd still love to see him go to Discmania and become the third crush boy, but I've never even heard that floated as a possibility. I also think it'd be rad to just see him stay with Prodiscus and throw a mixed bag, but I doubt that is financially feasible at the moment.

care to elaborate?

Just poor sales in most of America plus you dont see anybody really throw it. There are pockets of the US that it is popular and that is it and most of that seems to be centered around their top pros. We used to carry Prodigy and had to give most of it away because nobody wanted it, even at a heavy discount. We then ended relations with prodigy when they told us the reason they dont sell is because our sales people dont know how to sell friebees and that we werent trying hard enough to sell their discs. Overall their top pros are great people but the people running it arent.

Here's the thing. How long does it take Paul to get his discs together? By the time he makes the switch and comes to the front... it won't happen. He was already being dogged by younger players, and that isn't going to end. Next year is likely to be even more competitive than this year was. There is not likely to be another dominant player like Ken or Paul. Even Ricky's back to back championships strike me as unlikely going forward. Paul will win some things, but He isn't going to dominate again.

DC is counting on image sales, and Paul is good at that. Better hope that the image thing was all his doing and not Innova's because if it was, recreating that image is going to be hard.

I'm gonna stick with my notion that folks do dumb things. This is one of them. We will see.

I also think it'd be rad to just see him stay with Prodiscus and throw a mixed bag, but I doubt that is financially feasible at the moment.
It wouldn't be easy but Kai loves Kevin and I imagine is willing to put everything he can possibly do on the table for him. Still might not have been enough but it probably wasn't from lack of effort on his part.

Innova has been know for their April fools day posts. Anybody think that this is just a Halloween Trick post?

Yah...I'm thinking something similar...perhaps in a few days something like this will show up...

"Well...after a long and lengthy time away from each other (about 2 days or so) Paul McBeth & Innova have agreed to a multi-year contract..yada..yada...yada.."

BTW - I think Innova is smart to get KJ. The maturity and focus under pressure that he showed was pretty amazing. I think we'll see more of him at the top than Paul next year. He is the future.

LA picked up Zlatan Ibrahimovic last year, a great but aging European soccer player. He took them nowhere, despite some great play and heroics. Paul will do some fun things for DC, but this won't pan out the way they want it too. There's a reason why dominant teams don't hire the guys on the downside, it doesn't pay. I like Paul, but he's level at best, and likely to be going down going forward. I suspect this will simply tarnish his image long term.

BTW - I think Innova is smart to get KJ. The maturity and focus under pressure that he showed was pretty amazing. I think we'll see more of him at the top than Paul next year. He is the future.

LA picked up Zlatan Ibrahimovic last year, a great but aging European soccer player. He took them nowhere, despite some great play and heroics. Paul will do some fun things for DC, but this won't pan out the way they want it too. There's a reason why dominant teams don't hire the guys on the downside, it doesn't pay. I like Paul, but he's level at best, and likely to be going down going forward. I suspect this will simply tarnish his image long term.

I hope Paul puts your quote on his wall. He is not old by any means. This sport you can be good and compete for titles well into your thirties. John E is playing elite at almost 50. Mcbeth can get better, with Discraft he will have to practice even more to get good at what he does. This will inspire him to get better not worse imo. I wish he was still with Innova though, Kevin Jones would be a very solid consolation prize for him if it were to happen.

There is one possibility that is unmentioned here. Paul is simply retiring, to do what he has always said. "I'm gonna start a course and live at home with my wife." Maybe make babies? I'd not think he'd have to give up his relationship with Innova though. I'm increasingly liking Horseman's notion. But then, there are those Paul to DC rumors.

I have to wonder, given the timing, if Paul didn't use the "DC offer" to negotiate hard with Innova and they said, um, nope.

I like Paul, but he's level at best, and likely to be going down going forward.

what are you talking about? have you had a stroke recently?

After he hit a recent "Low" of 1044, his rating has been going back up. He just won USDGC. He had 9 wins and 7 other podium finishes this season. His smallest cash finish was $610 at Jonesboro, 1 of 3 times he finished outside of the top 10.

No one in their right mind would say Paul is on a downward slide right now. This is some really biased McBeth and/or Discraft hate. I'm not Paul's biggest fan nor do I care what the pros throw - but you can't argue your point in good faith.