• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

This isn't data, but out of about 5 people I've seen bag a Krait I'd say 4 of them were McBeth related.

This was also a few years ago that he had it in the bag and only used it very occasionally for straight/turnover and downhill shots IIRC.

I've definitely seen him switch between Firebirds, Monsters, FD3's and also seen those show up differently. In fact the only time I've seen someone bag a Monster was in the short lived time that McBeth was throwing them.

I saw a McBeth ITB where he had a Krait and talked about it. He mentioned using it at the Japan Open, which had a lot of elevation changes as well as the < 160g weight requirement. The next year, his ITB video did not mention the Krait.

IMHO the Krait is like the Viking: never very popular, but underrated.

Making note of discgolfcenter's current top 20 sellers... 19 are Innova and 1 is Discraft (Buzzz).

People keep repeating things similar to this, like McBeth wouldn't have known anything about their current sales prior to signing a contract. :confused:

Oh, I am sure he did his homework. I am just making note to see if more Discraft pops onto the list 6 months from now.

People throwing out $1M but actually, wouldn't $100K be an extraordinary amount as a sponsorship for a GREAT disc golfer? Add bonuses, commissions, other sponsors, plus winnings. Where does the $1M speculation come from?

I believe Paul had a half million contract for 2016-2018. So in terms of order of magnitude, $100,000 would not have impressed him for a single year.

Not sure how long the rumored $1millie deal is rumored to last. 5 years would be a slight increase over his previous deal.

(And yes, there are other factors, like tournament winnings and swag and the rest. I'm just talking straight up dollars and cents going from sponsor to player. Not sure if he gets bonuses for disc sales, tourney wins, or if it's just all included in the base price.)

Anybody thought the picture that Innova chose for their announcement was interesting? While you do see the Innova Proto Star on the hat, you don't seen the Innova logo anywhere. Why? If your franchise player was leaving, and you chose to make an announcement of it, wouldn't you want to show a picture of him clearly as an Innova player?

Paul-McBeth-1.jpg

Is it because Nike, the shirt he's wearing, has something to do with it?

Where is DGI in all of this? Are they still a thing?

I remember hearing about them at the start of the season when they came out of the gate signing up most of the big name players, but since then...?

Anybody thought the picture that Innova chose for their announcement was interesting? While you do see the Innova Proto Star on the hat, you don't seen the Innova logo anywhere. Why? If your franchise player was leaving, and you chose to make an announcement of it, wouldn't you want to show a picture of him clearly as an Innova player?

Paul-McBeth-1.jpg

Is it because Nike, the shirt he's wearing, has something to do with it?

I'd imagine they just went with a good photo that showed him in action, as opposed to something of him celebrating or smiling. He often just wore an Innova hat this season if he was out of shirts with Innova logos on them, so I wouldn't read anything into this.

What are the responsibilities of a Captain though? Is Paul the current Captain? Not that it isn't great to see Nate getting some well-deserved recognition, but the position of Captain is not completely advertised.

The only visible thing an (American) football team captain does is be at the coin toss. I'm sure there is "leader in the locker room" stuff we don't see. For disc golf? Probably an honorary thing, mostly, and being the "face of the franchise".

Really? It just seems like Prodigy makes good plastic that no one really uses or cares about.

Prodigy really makes some nice plastic, maybe amongst the very best since the translucent CE was discontinued. (There I said it!) I think they've been held back by 2 things:

1. Ok, the initial roll out was super aggressive and they kind of fell flat compared to expectations. They can improve that image bigly going forward if they continue to stay relevant on event podiums.
  2. Some of their earliest molds were not great. They have been steadily adding quality to the lineup, like the A series is the most recent I can think of.

Both of those items are trending in the right directions, and I can imagine Prodigy continuing to gather steam if they keep it going. A few fresh faces on their pro team will not hurt them get more attention, either.

Last edited:
Where is DGI in all of this? Are they still a thing?

I remember hearing about them at the start of the season when they came out of the gate signing up most of the big name players, but since then...?

This never went anywhere. Unless there is a secret DGI mafia somewhere pulling strings in secret, they haven't done anything except weird halfway rollout announcements from a few semi-reliable sources.

As far as I can tell, DGI was a partial flash in the pan, and now the concept is dead.

That is indeed surprising. Even here in the land of Cale Leiviska I rarely see Prodigy on the tees. I visit multiple brick and mortal DG stores in my regular work travels, and they all report slow going with Prodigy. They definitely have some good plastic (that nomenclature tho - can we not have number for both the discs and the plastic type?), and the baskets are top-notch.

Conversely, I continue to see Discraft, particularly mids and putters, a lot in the mid-west. I see a lot of Trilogy everywhere. DiscMania with "serious players". And Innova, of course, dominates.

In DFW we don't see much Prodigy. Innova is clearly the most common in stores, butt most likely DD for the second spot. Now, we've got a DD presence here, so that may be what puts them there. At places like Academy (local Walmart's don't seem to stock Discs), you've got Innova, DD and Discraft. You see some Prodigy in Disc shops, but not a lot. I don't really see a lot of guys throwing much Discraft of Prodigy.

This never went anywhere. Unless there is a secret DGI mafia somewhere pulling strings in secret, they haven't done anything except weird halfway rollout announcements from a few semi-reliable sources.

As far as I can tell, DGI was a partial flash in the pan, and now the concept is dead.

I saw the head of DGI (or the DG Group, after Will Schusterick took umbrage with the likeness in names) at both Worlds and USDGC. They're still out there.

You are literally completely wrong on this. Levi Morgan, probably the greatest 3D Archer ever, after winning 6 straight ASA Championships, switch from Matthews to Elite Archery, and then continued to win Championships and Shooter of the Year titles, and then this year switched back to Matthews and, wow, won again.

Droppin' the obscure bow knowledge. I resisted the urge to google this. I like the idea that you might have made this all up.