• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

It's just hard for me to be excited when I don't feel the excitement from Discraft.

I went to their site, and it's almost like they just found out themselves that Paul was coming over. I was expecting a splash screen or something.

Yea the Discraft site sucks, it's like they didn't know this was happening until today....get your ish together DC!

Possible Jomez and DC collab in the future?? Starting with this annoucement?

I wasn't as crazy about this reveal video, tbh. It didn't emotionally move me like their (Jomez's) USDGC hype. Partially due to the intense amount of hype that has been building for the last 3 weeks on social media, the video didn't quite satisfy.

If the video is/was part of a bigger campaign? Sure. But to be the flagship announcement? It's just lacking compared to the gravitas of this move.

Then, you go over to Discraft website to see an awkwardly sized photo (I have 4K 27" monitors and it is overscaled on my screen) with an awkward font choice that has the kerning weirdly stretched, no team page built yet, and no real other announcement other than a vague "happy to have him" statement sent to Ultiworld DG?

Secondly (here's all that money I spent on film school coming in...LOL) - NEVER have a welcome picture with a sun setting. Sunsets in film language are synonymous with endings. It should be a sunrise REVEALING the move. It's a new day...etc...you get the idea...maybe not everybody can articulate this, but emotionally they feel it.

It's just hard for me to be excited when I don't feel the excitement from Discraft.

It's also super weird for it to be on Jomez's channel. I get that they're the biggest outlet, but this feels like Discraft isn't owning the move.

I could go on and get more nitpicky, but my point isn't to beat up on anybody, just to say that there are huge opportunities that are being missed right now. Now, at the same time, this could be only the beginning of their campaign (I'd expect more), but starting and finishing strong is so incredibly important on campaigns like this.

Here's how I'd do it, if anyone cares:
The Jomez clip that dropped needs to be the video that pops up on Discraft.com (like, flash player full screen, before you can click anything).

The main image needs to be a photoshop showing McBeth JOINING the superstars on the team. Doss has 3x World Titles + 1 Jr Title. He's the king welcoming the beast. Val has 4x titles, etc. They've signed more world titles in the last 2 years than they've won in the last decade...HYPE THE TOTAL X's!

The team page HAS to be somewhat filled out. You could do "mystery player" slots on the team that tease the upcoming signings, and reveal their pages once the contracts are inked.

Then...the iteration of that main image? Add each player as they sign and the final image is the filled-out, complete 2019 roster.

I mean those are off the top of my head. If I had a week of brainstorming with Paul and Discraft it'd be straight fire...and I'm not all that good at this.

Can't really disagree with much or any of this. Was Discraft really ready to do this? They better be ready to move quickly. Everyone else seems more excited about it than they do at this point.

I do think that the Discraft site could use a new coat of paint for sure. And I hope that is on the agenda for early 2019. I know that they will be updating the Team page at that time.

Nothing against Jamie, who is a good dude, but he does not have the inside scoop here. He is obviously speculating, which most of us do on this site, but in this case...read on.

I don't think that poster is real. Too many things don't add up right now for me.

First - Discraft would be stupid to fade Doss off of his discs, I don't think it's gonna happen like that.

Second - I think Paul will opt for a Wasp, or a new mid, over a Buzzz. Just speculating here based on the way he liked to throw the Roc3's. I don't think a Buzzz sets up for that shot as well, and though obviously he could learn...see the first point.

Also - why is it that so few companies in disc golf have a healthy PR routine down? DGPT last week, now Discraft this week, just botching things that should be 101 level IMO. Maybe my expectations are too high...

As I said, watch for an announcement tomorrow. This image may or may not be real, but if it is real, then keep an eye out :)

It's also super weird for it to be on Jomez's channel. I get that they're the biggest outlet, but this feels like Discraft isn't owning the move.

As I said somewhere else, this was intentional. This has nothing to do with Discraft not owning the move. If this was announced on Discraft's channel there would have been no suspense. Announcing on Jomez's channel added more suspense.

Can't really disagree with much or any of this. Was Discraft really ready to do this? They better be ready to move quickly. Everyone else seems more excited about it than they do at this point.

I can assure you that Discraft is ready for this and excited for this. The website is a work in progress as well as the new team pages. It will get there. Discraft has been 100% focused on McBeth the last few weeks. Discraft and their employees are SUPER pumped about this.

I wasn't as crazy about this reveal video, tbh. It didn't emotionally move me like their (Jomez's) USDGC hype. Partially due to the intense amount of hype that has been building for the last 3 weeks on social media, the video didn't quite satisfy.

If the video is/was part of a bigger campaign? Sure. But to be the flagship announcement? It's just lacking compared to the gravitas of this move.

Then, you go over to Discraft website to see an awkwardly sized photo (I have 4K 27" monitors and it is overscaled on my screen) with an awkward font choice that has the kerning weirdly stretched, no team page built yet, and no real other announcement other than a vague "happy to have him" statement sent to Ultiworld DG?

Secondly (here's all that money I spent on film school coming in...LOL) - NEVER have a welcome picture with a sun setting. Sunsets in film language are synonymous with endings. It should be a sunrise REVEALING the move. It's a new day...etc...you get the idea...maybe not everybody can articulate this, but emotionally they feel it.

I could go on and get more nitpicky, but my point isn't to beat up on anybody, just to say that there are huge opportunities that are being missed right now. Now, at the same time, this could be only the beginning of their campaign (I'd expect more), but starting and finishing strong is so incredibly important on campaigns like this.

Here's how I'd do it, if anyone cares:
The Jomez clip that dropped needs to be the video that pops up on Discraft.com (like, flash player full screen, before you can click anything).

The main image needs to be a photoshop showing McBeth JOINING the superstars on the team. Doss has 3x World Titles + 1 Jr Title. He's the king welcoming the beast. Val has 4x titles, etc. They've signed more world titles in the last 2 years than they've won in the last decade...HYPE THE TOTAL X's!

The team page HAS to be somewhat filled out. You could do "mystery player" slots on the team that tease the upcoming signings, and reveal their pages once the contracts are inked.

Then...the iteration of that main image? Add each player as they sign and the final image is the filled-out, complete 2019 roster.

I mean those are off the top of my head. If I had a week of brainstorming with Paul and Discraft it'd be straight fire...and I'm not all that good at this.

Wow, thanks for the detailed response, I can definitely tell you know your AV stuff.

Dunno, I'm not sure if any of that indicates a botch, just a different way of doing things. I thought the end of the video was perfect "Watch this....." indicating more to come. For me its all about perspective. It wasn't overplayed, or underplayed, I thought it was done just right.

Hell, the guy is still under contract with Innova until the end of the season, so I'm guessing that there will be more to come. The video looked good on my phone while I sitting at work waiting for a report to run. I only asked because I don't know: If they had designed the video to look great on 4K, how would that have effected how it looked on phones and computers, where most people likely watched it.

Soooo when Terry on SmashBoxx says you "need to think outside the box" he was just trolling everyone...thanks...thanks alot =)

Anybody recognize this "Flight" hat from the Jomez video? Doesn't look like a Discraft hat. Another sponsor?

attachment.php

Attachments

• flight.PNG
    flight.PNG
    45.8 KB · Views: 372
Nothing against Jamie, who is a good dude, but he does not have the inside scoop here. He is obviously speculating, which most of us do on this site, but in this case...read on.

As I said, watch for an announcement tomorrow. This image may or may not be real, but if it is real, then keep an eye out :)

As I said somewhere else, this was intentional. This has nothing to do with Discraft not owning the move. If this was announced on Discraft's channel there would have been no suspense. Announcing on Jomez's channel added more suspense.

I can assure you that Discraft is ready for this and excited for this. The website is a work in progress as well as the new team pages. It will get there. Discraft has been 100% focused on McBeth the last few weeks. Discraft and their employees are SUPER pumped about this.

Gotcha. I'm new here and don't really know the players. I was surprised that he was so critical of someone else's work. Maybe he can pitch his ideas to Discraft and see if they agree with his approach, could be cool to see them implement some other marketing approaches if that is what they want to do.

I do think that the Discraft site could use a new coat of paint for sure. And I hope that is on the agenda for early 2019. I know that they will be updating the Team page at that time.

The Team page has TOTALLY changed from a few weeks ago.

https://www.discraft.com/teamdiscraft

They also just updated the home page with a pic and and the Jomes Video.

Last edited:

I thought it was a pretty decent play more broadly, since as someone who got into the sport in the last 5 years Discraft had made me think of those instructional videos where FH shots are a new thing and that I should be wristing discs out there while in jorts.

Given how Discraft's internet presence until recently has been...non-existent to say the least...letting another known outlet handle it well and have Paul show why he has value by stirring the hype effortlessly made all this discussion happen.

I mean I can't think of a time when there have been multiple Discraft threads so prevalent. Or maybe I just never payed as much attention...which also shows a problem.

I'm interested to see what keeps happening, and Infinite's disc stats over the next season.