• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

You had Montreal style bagels? I haven't been to NY but I much prefer the dense Montreal style to the bread shaped like donuts style. That said some of the NY style bagels that have a little texture to the outside of them are pretty good, and I'm fully aware I haven't had the real thing til I've been to NY. And I need to have that pizza for real too.

Bagels don't do much for me. I'm pretty low-carb these days so I don't eat a lot of bread heavy foods much unless it might be really good, like the only good pizza place within an hour of me.

NC Piedmont is quite bad for NYC pizza also.

I order thin crust, with pineapple and onion. I always keep tins of kippers or sardines in the cabinet. I throw that on. It's like a sweeter version of pizza from the Adriatic.

The names make no sense, which is why the flight numbers can help out newer players. But even then you need to learn what "glide, fade, & turn" are. But it is no different than any other sport's jargon

Which is why I picked Discraft when i started. 4 numbers didnt understand, one number great. All of my friends that day were picking cool animal stamps and i thought the numbers would give me an advantage. Which is how i ended up with an X-Clone and OAT.

I think this is because there isn't a solid "convention" like Discmania & Prodigy. I can't imagine coming into the sport and trying to figure out Innova's or Discraft's discs at this point. How is a Leopard different than a Cheetah? Thunderbird vs T-bird vs Destroyer? Firebird & Ape? The names make no sense, which is why the flight numbers can help out newer players. But even then you need to learn what "glide, fade, & turn" are. But it is no different than any other sport's jargon.

What bothers me MOST is that Innova used to be the company with the animal names, then they started getting into mythical creatures (Ok, I guess)... BUT then they added things like Destroyer, Mirage, Wedge, Dart, TL, & Dominator. COME ON INNOVA. Stop messing with me. Pick a scheme.

Yeah, just in a weird way Innova's naming "feels" right - now that completely may be a function of them being the biggest and OG beveled edge company...

...but at the same time the irony is that Dynamic clearly does have a system, it just takes some thought, it doesn't come immediately.

"Lucid" plastic actually is a great moniker based on the definition of the word, but its connotations make my brain go other places and it doesn't connect.

Same with "BioFuzion" - Ok "fusing" and "biology" - I guess I can eventually get "recycled plastic" out of that - but it's just not the first things my brain puts together.

File this under "technically correct, but not as marketable".

Marketing is a fickle thing - I understand "Champion" and "Star" plastic connotations in relation to sports performance better than the concepts that use dictionary definitions.

Yeah, just in a weird way Innova's naming "feels" right - now that completely may be a function of them being the biggest and OG beveled edge company...

...but at the same time the irony is that Dynamic clearly does have a system, it just takes some thought, it doesn't come immediately.

"Lucid" plastic actually is a great moniker based on the definition of the word, but its connotations make my brain go other places and it doesn't connect.

Same with "BioFuzion" - Ok "fusing" and "biology" - I guess I can eventually get "recycled plastic" out of that - but it's just not the first things my brain puts together.

Marketing is a fickle thing - I understand "Champion" and "Star" plastic connotations in relation to sports performance better than the concepts that use dictionary definitions.

Jamie, I am with you, but I honestly think that is something in OUR head. Our disc knowledge space is getting full. Because you are right that I seem to have no problem with most of Innova & Discraft's lineup.

But if you think about it, Star & Champion don't really MEAN anything. You wouldn't know which was better by just hearing it.

We are just set in our ways, old men.

Jamie, I am with you, but I honestly think that is something in OUR head. Our disc knowledge space is getting full. Because you are right that I seem to have no problem with most of Innova & Discraft's lineup.

But if you think about it, Star & Champion don't really MEAN anything. You wouldn't know which was better by just hearing it.

We are just set in our ways, old men.

Exactly, especially when they have a Pro plastic, that isn't the best? And then throw in DX, XT and then Gstar? Talk about a curve ball lol

Dynamic makes just as much sense or not as the others I suppose... but at least they have a naming scheme that they've stuck to.

Exactly, especially when they have a Pro plastic, that isn't the best? And then throw in DX, XT and then Gstar? Talk about a curve ball lol

Dynamic makes just as much sense or not as the others I suppose... but at least they have a naming scheme that they've stuck to.

Caveat again that we're all biased in terms of familiarity by how the market was born and how it evolved, but I can make sense of Pro, Champion, Star in connection with the price points. I just think about people.

"Not all pros are champions, and not all champions are stars. The most expensive is the hardest label to attain."

Drew Gibson posted about heading down to Nashville for something that will change his life. Does Innova have him under contract next year? Might be headed to Prodigy???
Also, nothing that goes on a hotdog is as gross as what is in a hotdog, but lets not talk about that.

He's supposed to be coming out with some kind of training tool that automatically adds the training lines to show if you're in the correct position in different phases of your throw. Something like that, he's been alluding to it on Instagram for a little bit. Maybe he'll be joining on disc golf instruction with Will.

Caveat again that we're all biased in terms of familiarity by how the market was born and how it evolved, but I can make sense of Pro, Champion, Star in connection with the price points. I just think about people.

"Not all pros are champions, and not all champions are stars. The most expensive is the hardest label to attain."

Mind blown, I've never thought in context of your last sentence! That makes sense (in a way ;) )

But I think it's more, allot of that have played disc golf since it was only Discraft and innova, and ever since, no matter what new company Comes out you still reference what their plastic is compared to innovas star champion dx lineup.

It's not that hard, people. I know Innova/Discmania, Discraft and a little DGA, MVP/Axiom and am slightly familiar with others. I've been playing almost 3 years and took an interest in some of their discs. If I took an interest in Trilogy, Legacy etc, it wouldn't take long to figure out the basics of their plastic and molds.

Last edited: