• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

A three year contract isn't a steady paycheck? We shouldn't presume to know the details of these contracts..

It would indeed depend on the details of the contract. My reply was in reference to my earlier comment about Eric imop, being a hired employee compared to being a sponsored player. In other words, someone they expect to do more for the company other than performing well in tournaments. Is there a difference between a hired pro and a sponsored pro?

It would indeed depend on the details of the contract. My reply was in reference to my earlier comment about Eric imop, being a hired employee compared to being a sponsored player. In other words, someone they expect to do more for the company other than performing well in tournaments. Is there a difference between a hired pro and a sponsored pro?

Effectively, no, there isn't. At least not at the touring level.

I think the difference between what Eric did for Discmania and what he's doing now for DD is that at Discmania, he was paid to drive the RV. He was basically stapled to Eagle (since he didn't have a license) and I'm assuming didn't get any benefits or incentives for his play, nor any choice on where he went or played on a given weekend. Now, with DD, he's paid to drive the RV but also paid to do clinics and play tournaments and basically go where he wants and do his own thing.

Agreed, but at some point there may need to be some "suggested" methods of social marketing tactics. Too much blatant branded promos can send a negative message. Show me a player in a tournament (not in a practice round) video making a great shot with a disc that he bags, that, will send a positive message about both the player and the disc.

Depends on personal motivation. I have no delusions of being able to throw a disc 500 feet. Discs are a commodity now, not much differentiation between manufacturers.

So I filmed the FLYR open this weekend. Learned some fun stuff.

Sias Elmore was throwing MVP/Axiom, and throwing it well. Vids start coming out tomorrow.

Nick Newton and Steve Rico are going on tour this year repping Legacy (per the usual), which will be nice as Rico was MIA this year.

Last edited:
So I filmed the FLYR open this weekend. Learned some fun stuff.

Sias Elmore was throwing MVP/Axiom, and throwing it well. Vids start coming out tomorrow.

Nick Newton and Steve Rico are going on tour this year repping Legacy (per the usual), which will be nice as Rico was MIA this year.

That thumber ace he had earlier this year was probably one of the coolest shots I have seen on a stream. Definitely not the "best" shot but for shear fun factor...:thmbup:

"players who speak with their performance primarily"

Not many too root for then, at most 10-15 players that can win big events. . . we need more players than that too root for or this sport will die fast. . .Players like Oakley and AJ are easy too like and root for even if they isn´t finish top 5

Personally, speaking primarily with your performance seems a little odd to me.

"Okay performance, I just want to point out that you've not been up to snuff lately. I mean, what's with that?"

In a time where much of communication occurs through social media, and everyone is there, no one who has a pulse, unless they're my age, is not communicating in that venue, no matter what their performance is.

Oakley's power isn't so much about his name on a specific disc as it is about his ability to be an ambassador for his brand. He's very outgoing, prolific on social media, and a memorable personality. He's a little goofy, not everyone on DGCR's cup of tea, but he draws attention to his brand.

Oakley as a sponsored player doesn't move a particular mold, but he does a lot of work to make DD more visible and consequently sell more discs. I'd wager that more casual disc golfers know who Eric Oakley is than about half the players in the top 25 world rankings.

Look, if that ballerina throwing stance doesn't sell discs, I don't know what will.

Look, if that ballerina throwing stance doesn't sell discs, I don't know what will.

And maybe not best moment, but funniest was definitely him swimming for discs as the lead card passed by (can't remember and can't be bothered to look up what tournament).

Some people speak with their play and others with words. The point is to be engaging in some form or another. Make that money with whatever skills you got.

And maybe not best moment, but funniest was definitely him swimming for discs as the lead card passed by (can't remember and can't be bothered to look up what tournament).

Some people speak with their play and others with words. The point is to be engaging in some form or another. Make that money with whatever skills you got.

Ledgestone.

Oakley has the "cool, fun guy on tour" slot locked down.

Oakley has the "cool, fun guy on tour" slot locked down.

Siiiiimmon! I LOOOOVE you!!!!!

He's made me laugh a few times and if you've seen their vlog they seem very friendly and genuine

Seems to be a very DD type of player team vibe. Oakley, the lefty with the orange fro, aj risley, and both Paige's. Seems like any of them would make for a fun card :)

Z0c9F9c.png

Not sure what that yellow disc his nephew is about to putt with.... but is Nikko putting with a Focus?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181217-131718_Instagram_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20181217-131718_Instagram_resized.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 625

Latest posts