• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 2020 OS Mid of Choice

I don't find myself throwing an overstable mid much. I throw a couple DGA rift. They are like a good seasoned buzz with more glide. If I need overstable, I throw my zone, or an fd3. They seem to be easier to control back or forehand, and it simplified my bag

I have tossed my "mids" for putters. I use an Axiom Envy for stable and the Entropy for OS. It goes the same distance as my Stable Buzz and Drone but with more glide/skip.

Guess I'm changing my tune a bit. After playing a bit with my "new" Buzzz OS, I really like how it complements my X-buzzz and Z-FLX buzzz. Lets me throw the exact same throw with three discs that feel pretty identical and have nice consistent turnover, neutral, and fade routes.

Don't fix what ain't broke:

mF01XcZ.jpg

Don't fix what ain't broke:

mF01XcZ.jpg

Wasp?

For me it's still Drone for true OS mid, maybe Zone if it needs to be something in the bag. I feel like I continue to hear good things about the Verdict, though it's gradually lost some energy over the past couple years.

The best OS mid is an early run of the pro shop flat glow champion gator. It's just a longer zone for me

Wasp?

For me it's still Drone for true OS mid, maybe Zone if it needs to be something in the bag. I feel like I continue to hear good things about the Verdict, though it's gradually lost some energy over the past couple years.

No sir, as Wolf said it's an FLX Drone from 08' Worlds. The thing I loved about that run for so many years is it's heavy on the ESP, light on the FLX. Still has flexibility/hit and stick properties, but they aren't as soft or floppy as any production FLX runs I've handled. Of course over a decade later they finally released ESP Drones (which I own a handful of), but that thing will be in my bag until it shatters. Never cared for any of the Z runs personally.

I've told the story elsewhere on DGCR but I lost it at one point for over a year...got a call while playing the course I lost it on and dude said "I have your Drone" so I check my bag. "No sir, I have my yellow Drone here with me." Turns out he was nice enough to correct me and return one of my top 5 individual discs I've ever owned. They're all white, I eventually dyed it pink because it's the best disc color:)

I did start bagging Wasps recently and the new ESP ones are quite beefy. Haven't been throwing ole' trusty much because I'm trying to beat in a (you guessed it) pink ESP Wasp. Though the two mentioned overlap in stability I would absolutely carry both for a serious round...just aren't the same. Diameter and rim shape alone for certain skips/landings makes a big difference.

I bet I could play a one disc round with it as well as I could a Comet/Buzzz/Roc/putter/whatever. Matter of fact, I think I will out of curiosity:popcorn:

No sir, as Wolf said it's an FLX Drone from 08' Worlds. The thing I loved about that run for so many years is it's heavy on the ESP, light on the FLX. Still has flexibility/hit and stick properties, but they aren't as soft or floppy as any production FLX runs I've handled. Of course over a decade later they finally released ESP Drones (which I own a handful of), but that thing will be in my bag until it shatters. Never cared for any of the Z runs personally.

I've told the story elsewhere on DGCR but I lost it at one point for over a year...got a call while playing the course I lost it on and dude said "I have your Drone" so I check my bag. "No sir, I have my yellow Drone here with me." Turns out he was nice enough to correct me and return one of my top 5 individual discs I've ever owned. They're all white, I eventually dyed it pink because it's the best disc color:)

I did start bagging Wasps recently and the new ESP ones are quite beefy. Haven't been throwing ole' trusty much because I'm trying to beat in a (you guessed it) pink ESP Wasp. Though the two mentioned overlap in stability I would absolutely carry both for a serious round...just aren't the same. Diameter and rim shape alone for certain skips/landings makes a big difference.

I bet I could play a one disc round with it as well as I could a Comet/Buzzz/Roc/putter/whatever. Matter of fact, I think I will out of curiosity:popcorn:

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. For some reason I misread it as 2003 and didn't think the Drone was around yet.

DGUK Duke.

In the words of many times British Champion James Luton "The Duke is the best mid range forehand I've ever thrown, really nice flight."

For anything i'm involved in to get praise out of James is testament to how good it is :)

Star Caiman for me, but I rarely use it for the rounds I play.

This has changed for me. I find myself reaching for the Caiman a lot lately, especially on forehands. I recently picked up a backup.

Anvil

I've tried the Justice and the Caiman

Justice was just too much beef. The Anvil is basically a beadless Justice. I found the Anvil to be superior to the Justice (for my arm) in that it was slightly straighter and slightly less dumpy and easier to get up speed / control the speed. Meaning it worked better for me than a Justice but gave me Justice results.

I tested the Caiman as against the Anvil and in that testing found the Anvil to be a bit longer and more predictable.

Again, basically more useable for me than the Caiman.

Those are too pretty to throw. I need to pick up a brain wave dye, those are so dope.

Those are too pretty to throw. I need to pick up a brain wave dye, those are so dope.

Dyes look nice on the wall, but in the air they make every shot look like a noob threw it, even when I saw guys that were smooth throwers like Barry Schultz throw a dyed disc, it never looked like a smooth flying disc because the dye made the disc look like it was wobbling. That and they are hard to find in the rough, when they first started producing the dyed discs many of us referred to them as "self-camouflaging" discs.

Yeah I meant to hang on my wall. I threw an old JK Valk for years in the hardest to find tie dye. It's amazing I never lost it, over 200 courses played with it. I bring it out from time to time now, but only on my local courses where losing a disc is nearly impossible.

I did just pick up a tie dye champ Wraith last week though...

I'm still using the Justice mainly, but I have been very impressed with the Yikun Crossbow.

It's like the missing link between the Stego and the Justice, so I probably won't keep it in my big grip bag where I have room for both, but I am excited to have that disc for my travel nutsac that only holds 5-6 discs. It can do most things the Stego can and all but the longer Justice shots.

Dyes look nice on the wall, but in the air they make every shot look like a noob threw it, even when I saw guys that were smooth throwers like Barry Schultz throw a dyed disc, it never looked like a smooth flying disc because the dye made the disc look like it was wobbling. That and they are hard to find in the rough, when they first started producing the dyed discs many of us referred to them as "self-camouflaging" discs.

This made me laugh especially since Shultz was mentioned. I threw a dyed Champ Leo one day and a guy yelled, "Wow, was that a boomerang?" (he was just a park visitor).

I swear it looked silky smooth to me!

And I don't throw it anymore because it's hide-and-go-seek skills are greater than mine.