• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 2020 OS Mid of Choice

are overstable mids pointless

No, not pointless. I still have not found anything better than a Ti Drone for a skip shot that hooks and dies quick... or a flick that pans quickly to the gound from dense wooded roughs. It's just those are such specific shots that on most courses I can't justify dropping one of my standard discs to carry it when I may never need to use it.

Wasp is as much as I commonly need.

Last edited:
Zone and wasps covers my os mid shots. I can flick the zone better and the wasp isn't as os as the zone.

are overstable mids pointless

No, my regular midrange is OS but just enough so I can fight wind when playing in South Dakota and Midwest for 90% of my playing. Last numbers of 0, 2 for turn and fade are all I need, as for more then that I can hyzer my midrange discs. For the shorter midrange- approach/driving putter slot I use Shark and the Champion Shark 3 is currently the only disc I have I use as a true midrange. Nor for other not OS shots, Impact handles the neutral stuff as tight gap/tight tunnel driving and Archer is US as well as backhand roller due to nose shape as that again another midrange like fairway where they get the not quite fairway driver but to long for a true midrange shot spot for me as well as sometime not as hard to hit midrange when I need less stability then my Shark/3 discs.

Last edited:
I've been digging a DX RocX3 in the OS roc slot. It's not a total beefcake or anything, but it really doesn't want to turn (even in a headwind) and it just has that reliable fade of a fresh roc, even after a good bit of use. Also I do like it for FHs when a Zone's not enough and a Teebird is too much.

I've at least narrowed it down to the Caiman vs Drone. They both give me more confidence with grip right now over the BuzzzOS.

I keep a ledgestone esp wasp in the bag, which is pretty os, but I honestly don't have much of a need for os mids.

Big Jerm Recon Mortar, or if I don't feel like carrying small dia mids, it's my Aviarx3 that gets to handle any and all OS fh duties. Or a Pig.

A fresh KC Roc.

I've tried quite a few OS mids, but it ultimately came down to;
I rarely if ever threw them
Therefore, I don't need them
So why lug one around?

This is where I'm at as well. I have a harp and actually really like to throw it, but I started experimenting with taking the harp out of the bag and using my most stable roc for those shots and didn't miss a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a couple Maltas a few weeks ago and put it in my bag. I honestly don't think I've thrown it 5 times yet. My wasps handle almost everything just fine.

This is where I'm at as well. I have a harp and actually really like to throw it, but I started experimenting with taking the harp out of the bag and using my most stable roc for those shots and didn't miss a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat as you and Keller. I use a Shark in Star, have backups for when the one I am using is gone as the discs are getting harder and harder to find as well as a less OS Pro Shark ready to buy a G-Star when my Pro gets too US to be used as G-Star breaks in quicker then Star, So I have read, if G-Star Does not work then a DX will be used. I do not need a really OS midrange/pr even OS approach putter as the Shark is more a putter like midrange used by me for driving putter, approach disc and windy day putter. My true and only mold used as a midrange is currently my Shark 3, as 2 hybrid midrange like fairways molds cover 1 neutral mold and one mold for understable shots, one of those discs covers the US Fairway shots as well.

Last edited:
One more vote for the Drone, having used Big Z, Ti, Cryztal, and Z at different times.

However, I don't have one in the bag most of the time. I prefer using more hyzer on a Wasp or more overstable Buzzz, and of course find myself using my Zone or Firebird for shots where I would have used the Drone. So maybe my story lends support to the pointlessness of OS mids after all.

Apparently I'm not in the same boat as most of you, and potentially in a completely different ocean.

I carry a lot of overstable slow discs. This is because my flick form sucks, despite putting a bunch of work into it over the past year. I can finally hit 225'-250' with a forehand, and that's probably about as good as it's going to get for me. On the OS end I carry:

Berg - BH and FH, shortest disc in my bag for short/controlled straight-to-fade approaches.
Zones - BH (beat Jawbreaker) and FH (Titanium), overstable 'normal putter distance' shots.
Justice - FH only, flex approach shots or Zone-esque shots that need more fade/skip than I can get from my Zones
Felons - BH (beat Biofuzion) and FH (Lucid-x), Firebird-esque shots. I will sometimes bag a fresh & flat Getaway in lieu of the beat Bio.

I admire all you guys that can just bag a single Firebird that you power down for all overstability. I prefer to minimize molds when possible, but I admittedly use overstability as a crutch for my crappy forehand form...ergo, I bag lots of OS choices and my short game has drastically improved since doing so.

My forehand is awful. I'm the opposite though. I carry more understable stuff I can throw on anny and flex lines to make up for it. I use a Trident for shots I'm not able to reach with my Zone or need a skip. I carry a Firebird for the long stuff. Wasp is as stable as I go for mids. I can flex the Firebird or Trident with my crap sidearm and they come back. That's the last resort though.

I use different levels of overstable mids. Starting with a Champ Rancho Roc, then a Millennium Q Sentinel, and for very OS I have a Hyzerbomb MOAB. My Champion Rancho sees the most throws out of these three. The Sentinel is very predictable with a headwind though.

USDGC Rancho Rocs, champ or star. I usually have a 4 Roc cycle in the bag and after trying and trying to find a Roc3 that was actually overstable, ODRB gave me an '06 Champ USDGC Rancho and I never looked back. Currently have this '05 Kenny Glow in the bag(also from ODRB).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4DA87F47-98A6-4CC3-9E6E-5B1D4F5C804B.jpg
    4DA87F47-98A6-4CC3-9E6E-5B1D4F5C804B.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 82