• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Memorial Championship in Arizona

BillFleming

* Ace Member *
I know it's no longer an elite stop, but the 2022 Memorial Championship is March 3-6 and will be played at Fountain Hills and Scottsdale. Prior to the tournament, there's going to be a clinic by a local pro and Paul McBeth will be there for a signing. Activities and times are posted on Disc Golf Scene (link below).

And if you are in Scottsdale for the tournament....stop by and say hello. I'm the course director (not Tournament Director) at Vista this year.

If you live in the area and have time, please consider signing up to be a volunteer. Check with Spinners On The Green for information on volunteering.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Memorial_Championship_presented_by_Discraft_2022

As course director, I'm responsible for pretty much everything the TD is...except I can't make rules decisions, etc. Mainly, I'll be making sure the spotters are where they need to be and that the course/tournament is running as well as possible. Pretty much the "middle person" between the players and the TDs.

I know it's no longer an elite stop, but the 2022 Memorial Championship is March 3-6 and will be played at Fountain Hills and Scottsdale. Prior to the tournament, there's going to be a clinic by a local pro and Paul McBeth will be there for a signing. Activities and times are posted on Disc Golf Scene (link below).

And if you are in Scottsdale for the tournament....stop by and say hello. I'm the course director (not Tournament Director) at Vista this year.

If you live in the area and have time, please consider signing up to be a volunteer. Check with Spinners On The Green for information on volunteering.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Memorial_Championship_presented_by_Discraft_2022

As course director, I'm responsible for pretty much everything the TD is...except I can't make rules decisions, etc. Mainly, I'll be making sure the spotters are where they need to be and that the course/tournament is running as well as possible. Pretty much the "middle person" between the players and the TDs.

Actually, I think you can - and should - make rulings. (Unless the TD doesn't want you to.) You will be more familiar with that specific course than anyone. Also, anything that saves the TD some work is great.

801.02 E. The Director is the person in charge of the tournament or event. The Director may be a Tournament Director (TD), a Course Director, or a League Director. Only the Director may disqualify a player. Decisions made by the Director are final.

But, you probably shouldn't just take my word for it.

"Please do not hesitate to call the Event Support Helpline at (762) 253-2200 or contact the PDGA Event Support Team ([email protected], make sure to include the specific event link or information) if you have any questions."

(Please, don't everyone call or email just out of curiosity. Let BillFleming ask if he wants.)

Thanks for stepping up and taking on a generally thankless role. I am sure Vista will run like clockwork. :thmbup::thmbup:

Actually, I think you can - and should - make rulings. (Unless the TD doesn't want you to.) You will be more familiar with that specific course than anyone. Also, anything that saves the TD some work is great.

"Please do not hesitate to call the Event Support Helpline at (762) 253-2200 or contact the PDGA Event Support Team ([email protected], make sure to include the specific event link or information) if you have any questions."

(Please, don't everyone call or email just out of curiosity. Let BillFleming ask if he wants.)

Steve,

You've given me 'food for thought'.

We are going by these from the Competition Manual.

1.12 Tournament Officials
A. Only the Tournament Director, those Certified Officials that have been designated by the Tournament Director, or a designated PDGA Marshal, are Tournament Officials for a given event.

B. Only Tournament Officials may make rulings at PDGA-sanctioned events beyond those calls allowed by the rules to be made by the players or playing group themselves.

And

1.11 Officials
Being a Certified Official does NOT make an individual a Tournament Official who can make rulings at PDGA events.

So I can see where, as a course director, I can be considered to have been designated as a Tournament Official. But as a course director, I'm not really a Tournament Official....I am only responsible for the volunteers and making sure the course is running properly - which, however, could be seen as being a Tournament Official.

I'll bring this up with the TD and if needed we can take it up further.

I think the reason they don't want me to make rulings is to remove me from the sometimes 'heated exchanges'.

Thanks for stepping up and taking on a generally thankless role. I am sure Vista will run like clockwork. :thmbup::thmbup:

Thank you. This will be my third year volunteering and each year they've had me doing more. Last year, my second for the Memorial, I ran the pop-up store at Fountain (next to hole 1) and, at one point, had the honor of walking the course with one group as a Rules Official. They were a three-some and one DNF'd on hole two. The TD knew I was a Certified Official and asked me to be the third. We discussed it with the players and they accepted it.

The first time I volunteered, which was for the Shelly Sharpe, I thought "okay, this will be fun to see how a tournament is run and be able to help out". Then they sent out a message to volunteers that we would get lunch and a tournament stamped disc each day. I thought...."WAIT! I get lunch and a disc? No way....bonus!".

I've seen all kinds of players....the good and the not-so-good. I've seen pros have bad throws where I thought....that's like my throws. Taught me that everyone struggles, but it's how you deal with the bad stuff that makes the difference.

I've given this a lot of thought, especially about bringing it up with the TD. I realized I do need to get it clear with the TD what my responsibilities/authority is regarding rules decisions. The reason though is....anyone can give a player or players ADVICE. But only authorized people can MAKE a ruling. So, if a player asks me about a rules question and I give a response...I (and the players) need to know if my response is just advice or a decision. I would not like to be (in my mind) giving advice to a player, but the player (knowing I'm the course director) takes it as a ruling.

And if we really need to, we'll contact the Event Support Helpline.

Thanks for pointing all that out to me.

Since I'd be the one answering the phone when you call ... whether you are a tournament official or not is up to the TD. As the course director, players will most likely assume that you are indeed a tournament official. If they have a question, they'll come to you first, and will most likely take your word as final. If the TD doesn't want you making decisions, you'll need to start every conversation with a disclaimer like "the TD didn't give me the authority to make official rulings, so I'm just giving advice. You can either take this advice and come to your own conclusions, or you can escalate it to the TD."

Most of the questions will be easy, and you can probably answer even without full official authority. "Was the OB on that hole the painted line or the edge of the concrete?" is a question you can answer and then let the players make the official call themselves. If you are actively making calls (like calling stance violations), then you'll need to have proper authority.

At 2014 Am Worlds, we had Course Captains. They were in charge of everything related to one course, but were not to make rulings and such.

Since I'd be the one answering the phone when you call ... whether you are a tournament official or not is up to the TD. As the course director, players will most likely assume that you are indeed a tournament official. If they have a question, they'll come to you first, and will most likely take your word as final. If the TD doesn't want you making decisions, you'll need to start every conversation with a disclaimer like "the TD didn't give me the authority to make official rulings, so I'm just giving advice. You can either take this advice and come to your own conclusions, or you can escalate it to the TD."

Most of the questions will be easy, and you can probably answer even without full official authority. "Was the OB on that hole the painted line or the edge of the concrete?" is a question you can answer and then let the players make the official call themselves. If you are actively making calls (like calling stance violations), then you'll need to have proper authority.

I had the discussion with the Tournament Director. I didn't have an issue with whatever the decision was...but I did need to get it cleared up for the reason you posted above....how would the players "understand" my role to be. Would players take my (in my mind) rules advice as being advice or as an official ruling? The TD, actually saw this thread and let me know they expected me to make rules decisions. So that was good to get it clarified and without Steve and you letting me know that I most likely would be considered a Tournament Official and final say (pending any appeal) on rules calls....I would have never asked the question.

I'm looking forward to the tournament and my new role.

It's so strange to have the Memorial demoted. Doesn't even look like there is live scoring. I personally hate playing that course but it's been an early season tradition to watch for so long.

It's so strange to have the Memorial demoted. Doesn't even look like there is live scoring. I personally hate playing that course but it's been an early season tradition to watch for so long.

I don't have all the facts, but my understanding is that enough pros complained about the courses. Complaints I heard:

Hyzer, hyzer, hyzer. Every hole seems to require a backhand hyzer.
Holes never change.
Can't close off the parks, so there tends to be backups waiting for "pedestrians" to be out of the way. Also, lot's of mandos/OB just to keep from hitting pedestrians.

The part about not being able to close off the parks is a big one.

There is PDGA Live Scoring. https://www.pdga.com/apps/tournament/live/events
The Memorial is the top listed event for A-Tier events.

I think the DGPT was the driving factor in not including the Memorial in their schedule, particularly the public park thing.

Both Vista and Fountain are in public parks with heavy foot traffic.

Can't prohibit the public, especially at Fountain, since I'm sure the wealthy folks that live literally across the street would push back.

That and it's somewhat of a tourist destination.

I think the DGPT was the driving factor in not including the Memorial in their schedule, particularly the public park thing.

Both Vista and Fountain are in public parks with heavy foot traffic.

Can't prohibit the public, especially at Fountain, since I'm sure the wealthy folks that live literally across the street would push back.

That and it's somewhat of a tourist destination.

It is the home of the world's largest fecal vaporizer.

Just got my DGN subscription in today and was feeling great about the season starter. Only to find out that its not covered this year. That sucks. Watching the Memorial has been a tradition for me and my friends.

Latest posts