• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 PDGA Majors Awarded

This seems to be a good indication of where disc golf is actually at versus the big money contracts.

One bid for the most prestigious tournament in the sport?

This seems to be a good indication of where disc golf is actually at versus the big money contracts.

One bid for the most prestigious tournament in the sport?

Isn't the most prestigious event the DGPT Tour Championships?

....as long as somebody's willing to do it, and meet higher standards, I don't see a real big problem. Or, to put it another way, I'm not sure that lower standards and more bids to choose from would be a great improvement.

And that's the key -- not courses, but somebody willing to run a major.

....as long as somebody's willing to do it, and meet higher standards, I don't see a real big problem. Or, to put it another way, I'm not sure that lower standards and more bids to choose from would be a great improvement.

And that's the key -- not courses, but somebody willing to run a major.

We have talked a bit about another Major around here but the feeling is that in many ways you get more bang for your buck with a DGPT event at this point.

https://www.pdga.com/news/2023-pdga-majors-awarded

Pro Worlds - Smugglers Notch VT (one bid)
Am Worlds - Peoria IL (two)
Masters Worlds - Flagstaff AZ (one)
Junior Worlds - Peoria IL (three)
USWDGC - Burlington NC (five)
Selinske Masters - Eugene OR (two)
Champions Cup - Toboggan course, Milford MI (one)

Well now I have something to work towards! World's on the closest course that the pros play in 2023 so now I really need to get going to get on that level.

USDGC and USADGC are manufacturer owned and do not go through a bid process.

I understand. Still expected to see it on the list of 2023 Majors.

Or does it not qualify for this thread because it isn't "Awarded" to Innova (feat. Rock Hill) every year?

I understand. Still expected to see it on the list of 2023 Majors.

Or does it not qualify for this thread because it isn't "Awarded" to Innova (feat. Rock Hill) every year?

Your second paragraph is correct. This isn't a list of the majors - this is a list of the results of the bid process. USDGC, USADGC, and European Open (assuming it happens) are not awarded bids and do not have anything to announce. When we announce their dates, they will be on the list.

Your second paragraph is correct. This isn't a list of the majors - this is a list of the results of the bid process. USDGC, USADGC, and European Open (assuming it happens) are not awarded bids and do not have anything to announce. When we announce their dates, they will be on the list.

Who owns the European Open?

From a TD friend;

Breakdown of drama at sanctioned events:

MPO - 90%
Women's divisions - 9%
Everyone else - 1%

I'd like to know what qualifies as 'drama'. If there are issues, it seems to affect pros more than ams (money is involved - and they know the rules better than most ams). And there are more MPO players than FPO players - so I'm not surprised to hear more 'drama' comes from MPO players.

However, what is the 'drama'? A rules issue? Like Paul McBeth's "is it out or not" at that one island hole. I have been in a tournament (I think it was a B-tier) where a bunch of MPO players called the PDGA to complain about an island hole and how it was being played. I don't recall the TD saying any FPO or AMs complained....just that several MPO players called/emailed the PDGA while the round was being played and didn't have the courtesy to talk to him (the TD) first.

I'd like to know what qualifies as 'drama'. If there are issues, it seems to affect pros more than ams (money is involved - and they know the rules better than most ams). And there are more MPO players than FPO players - so I'm not surprised to hear more 'drama' comes from MPO players.

However, what is the 'drama'? A rules issue? Like Paul McBeth's "is it out or not" at that one island hole. I have been in a tournament (I think it was a B-tier) where a bunch of MPO players called the PDGA to complain about an island hole and how it was being played. I don't recall the TD saying any FPO or AMs complained....just that several MPO players called/emailed the PDGA while the round was being played and didn't have the courtesy to talk to him (the TD) first.

IIRC, it's general whining/b1tch1ng/pettiness/attitude. I'd have to ask him to clarify, but that's maybe in my 6th tier of crap I'd care to do

Last edited: