• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

32nd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 20-22

McBeth shot a 49(!) to win it! How about the battle him and Ricky have been having so far this season?!
Fantastic!

At the age of 25 i'm already seeing a thinning of the front and middle , currently i just have it BIC'd. I'm not to worried as i have a nice bald head

Paul's round was unofficially 1080. It take a 1094 to crack the top 10 best rated rounds for courses in that SSA range. A 47 might have done it.

Feldberg near the end of round 2:

fa63d8ebab30ced43a7af98e0fdfb553.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXiqbQToxU0

post of the year

Paul's round was unofficially 1080. It take a 1094 to crack the top 10 best rated rounds for courses in that SSA range. A 47 might have done it.

Which begs the question(and a loaded one it is): Is McBeth the best to ever play the game?

Which begs the question(and a loaded one it is): Is McBeth the best to ever play the game?

eh i dont know about that. sure the players now have more complete games but they also have equipment that allows them to make more shots than were really capable before.

climo was out winning championships with ****ing vipers and cobras. i mean barry and john e are still two of the absolute best players on the planet and they're getting up there in age.

Technology (well, really fast and overstable discs) has dramatically changed the landscape of how we play. The techniques (forehands, monster drives); the courses (longer, better balanced). Comparing 2014 McBeth to 1998 Climo is like comparing 1930 Bobby Jones to 2000 Tiger Woods or 1962 Rod Laver to 2007 Roger Federer.

Not sure disc technology has had much impact on scoring. Certainly hasn't changed scoring averages on holes that have been around for a long time when we've looked at the numbers. The best players then and now are mostly able to throw mid-range and fairway drivers far and accurately. The faster drivers probably do more to get lower skilled players more competitive and wanting to play the game > resulting in more disc sales > resulting in more money for sponsorships > resulting in more top level players able to stay on tour > resulting in more athletic players being attracted to the sport > resulting in higher average level of play among the top 10 but arguably (via ratings) not much higher level than Climo at his peak. The current top players seem to have a better rounded skill set where having a solid forehand is more important partly due to a bit more challenging course design for the highest levels. Some of the best players in the past had to get conventional jobs and weren't able to or couldn't justify staying on tour to push and challenge Climo such as Scott Martin, Darrell Nodland and Mike Randolph.

How do the current drivers not decrease scoring on established courses? I haven't run the numbers like you, but it would seem that having an extra 50-75 feet of controllable distance would decrease scoring on longer courses. After a cursory look at winthrop gold scores, it certainly looks like more people are scoring in the 50s than ever before there...

Latest posts