• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

32nd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 20-22

I'm right there with 1978. Well never really be able to know for sure, but it wouldn't be fair to compare them directly looking only at their wins and stats. Paul McBeth is competing against a significantly higher level of competition than Climo did in his prime due to increased popularity, more touring players, more athletic players, and players who have spent more of their lives in the sport. That fact alone means this discussion has no likely end date.

're-watching the 2nd round...and man, does Feldberg seem like a crazy homeless man talking to himself or what? I'm a huge Feldy fan especially since he switched to Lat 64 but seems like something was wrong with him

I'm right there with 1978. Well never really be able to know for sure, but it wouldn't be fair to compare them directly looking only at their wins and stats. Paul McBeth is competing against a significantly higher level of competition than Climo did in his prime due to increased popularity, more touring players, more athletic players, and players who have spent more of their lives in the sport. That fact alone means this discussion has no likely end date.

Its the Jordan vs Lebron argument:popcorn:

're-watching the 2nd round...and man, does Feldberg seem like a crazy homeless man talking to himself or what? I'm a huge Feldy fan especially since he switched to Lat 64 but seems like something was wrong with him

He's always done that, his tournament mode is cynical, crabby, and whiny

Yeah that's just his old self coming back out. He's kind of a rollercoaster but I've always respected his competitive nature. Just think he could take a cue from guys like Paul who maintain that cool factor. It always makes me laugh when I play with people who throw their hat, kick their bag, slap their leg with a disc, etc. It a very mental game and I just can't see any of those things helping you overcome a bad shot. Maybe it works for them. :\

Nicklaus will probably end up with more Majors but Tiger is the most dominant golfer and perhaps most dominant athlete in a major sport all time. There was a stretch where everyone just expected him to win every time he got on the course; it was Tiger vs the field when you made bets or how many strokes will Tiger crush them by.

Golf courses literally thought about how they could Tiger proof the course... He drove farther than most golfers, was better out of the rough and sand than most golfers and was by far the best putter on tour during his best stretch.

If you really want to compare Tiger to anybody is Bobby Jones not Nicklaus.

It's not about comparing the golfers or disc golfers. It's about comparing achievements because you can't compare two players in different events, with different equipment, against different fields of competition. You can only compare achievements and because of that Nicklaus and Climo are the best. Still.

It's not about comparing the golfers or disc golfers. It's about comparing achievements because you can't compare two players in different events, with different equipment, against different fields of competition. You can only compare achievements and because of that Nicklaus and Climo are the best. Still.

But pair them against each other, in their primes, and you'll see who is the best. Come on man.

In the Mcfly video, its funny that Feldberg is complaining that people arent calling him for footfaults...because he wants to re-throw after a bad shot. Grass looked a little tall in the videos was that really the case?

Grass was very tall at wyco, swope, rosey, and ww so i'd assume its safe to say yes to Big blue as well...

Been a good amount of rain here the last couple few weeks

But pair them against each other, in their primes, and you'll see who is the best. Come on man.

and just how exactly do you accomplish this? Got a time machine there, Stewie? I don't even know who you're talking about. Climo and McBeth? McBeth has been hot with his game for about 3 straight years now. Like top of the food chain. Climo won what 9 straight world titles? That's an amazing accomplishment in any era. He's still the best and even McBeth will tell you he's not there yet.

It would take some really good research but you could probably find old courses that haven't changed significantly in 20 years (yes, trees growing makes it tricky unless already mature in 1995) that both Climo and McBeth played in high level events at different times, say Climo in 1995-98 and McBeth last few years.

Its the Jordan vs Lebron argument:popcorn:

Jordan had more competition, plus the east was the greater of the leagues back then. He won all 6 of his final appearances AND took 3 years off. Lebron is a more destructive force, but not a winner like Jordan. I dont think the league is more competitive now, its been a mature sport so you can actually discuss comparisons between the 2. Both Kobe and Lebron needed to be paired with superstars. Scottie Pippen is easily removed from the top 50 players of all time. Jordan won with role players.

Oh yea... "wide open" is definitely a good name for this event. Kind of a boring video just seemed like hyzer bomb after hyzer bomb.

Swope isn't hyzer after hyzer. Without rope it can be, but there's a lot of technical shots out there.

and just how exactly do you accomplish this? Got a time machine there, Stewie? I don't even know who you're talking about. Climo and McBeth? McBeth has been hot with his game for about 3 straight years now. Like top of the food chain. Climo won what 9 straight world titles? That's an amazing accomplishment in any era. He's still the best and even McBeth will tell you he's not there yet.

Computer simulation. Like that new fight game with Bruce Lee battling everyone.

Computer simulation. Like that new fight game with Bruce Lee battling everyone.

Which would be interesting and cool, same with what Chuck is saying but I still don't think that settles the title of "greatest of all time" That depends on longevity of being the dominant player and Climo still has 10 titles on McBeth. I'm not even saying Paul needs to get 12 but I think he still has to be the top guy for a few more years and at least get a few more. If he can do that then I think you can start to say that his 5 or 6 in less than 10 years is more of a feat than Climo's streak of 12 with 9 consecutive because I think we can all admit he's playing against better competition using better technology.

You can't just say well Paul shot a 49 on a course in 2013 during a tournament that Climo shot a 55 on in 2001 during the same tournament. Because it's not the same tournament. It's twelve years apart with different weather, conditions, era of disc technology, and you just can't say that one round or one tournament or even one year of play makes up for 9 straight titles and 12 overall. That's complete domination of a sport for a decade. If McBeth is still doing that at 2020 then we can say he's probably the best the sport has seen.

I wish Paul still posted around here, I have a feeling he would agree that Climo is the best ever and he's chasing him. I also think he's probably not at all worried about it or the title. He's just trying to do the best he can and exceed his own expectations not our's.

If he didnt though everyone would hate on him. In this world we live in it is very difficult for people to be honest. Imagine if he came here and said...yea...it was easier back them, im the greatest ever. Even if he thinks it he would be foolish to voice it.

If he didnt though everyone would hate on him. In this world we live in it is very difficult for people to be honest. Imagine if he came here and said...yea...it was easier back them, im the greatest ever. Even if he thinks it he would be foolish to voice it.

Agree. People suck. If he felt he was the best ever he should be able to say it. I think he's said before he thinks it's Climo though. He's just not the type to say I'm the best ever. He's humble about his skills. Now Feldberg....I could see him saying it lol. Even if he didn't believe it.

Trying to figure out how Climo and McBeth would perform head-to-head, during their "prime" is a debate that is totally subjective.
Each person and athlete has to be judged by the times in which they performed.
Climo was dominant for a decade and has 12 Open Championships.
McBeth has to at least start approaching those numbers to even be considered the greatest.
Tiger will have win more Majors and LeBron has a few more championshis to go...

Edit:
McBeth is smart enough to stay away from this whole debate.

Anyone remember just a few years back we were comparing Nate Doss to Climo? Oh, how hero worship is a fickle thing.