• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 Mold Bag

I actually did this last year. And not just four molds. Except for five rounds at courses with a high potential for losing a disc, I played all of 2011 using just four discs. I play a lot too - it was easily 400 rounds.

My four discs were a JK Aviar, DX Roc, DX Eagle-X, and DX Valkyrie. Same Roc and Aviar all year, but I went through about 3 Eagles and maybe a half dozen Valks.

My original motivation was for the fun factor. I'm an old guy and played for years using a single disc. I wanted to get back to the feeling of freedom of those single disc days but I wanted to stay competitive in the local scene.

It worked out better than I'd ever imagined. I did have more fun ditching the bag o' plastic just as I'd expected, but I was surprised to find myself playing the best disc of my life. I believe the reduced decision making improved my focus and I think I gained a familiarity with the discs I use that you guys using a bag full of different molds will never know.

So this was an experiment I committed to for 2011. It's 2012 now and I'm trying to evaluate whether I really gain any advantage using a 10 disc bag. I'm not really seeing an advantage as far as my game goes, but carrying a 40 of beer is a lot easier using a bag.

I've seen people posting that "it's the Indian, not the arrow", but if they really believe that, why do they need that bag full of plastic? But hey - whatever makes it fun for you. If it's just a security blanket, like a lot of my friends have told me, be brave and try your own four disc experiment. I think you'd be surprised.

Anyone looking to discuss extreme disc minimilism is welcome to visit a little Social Group I started here - I carry my discs in my hand

Katana, Wraith, Buzzz, Rhyno

Been doing it for 4 months and am enjoying the simplicity---though I did just pick up a beat Roadrunner, and a new RP Aviar and SS Omega.

if i had only 4 molds they'd be Aviar, Buzzz, Comet, and Eagle-X

i have more than that in my bag, but unless something unusual comes up that is all i will use.

M Anode
Z Buzzz (though they aren't in my bag currently)
Champ Teebird
Opto Flow

I'm gonna try this for about a month, but I can't settle on the fairway slot.

Valk
(Insert fairway here)
Roc
Swan 2

Help me pick my fairway in the poll I have posted on the main page of the forum. Thanks!

I actually did this last year.....
It worked out better than I'd ever imagined. I did have more fun ditching the bag o' plastic just as I'd expected, but I was surprised to find myself playing the best disc of my life.

Spooky, isn't it? I played all last winter with Rocs Comets and Putters. My game improved dramatically. Then when I added the drivers back into the bag, my game immediately tanked, lol.

hydra, roc, eagle, wraith.

just look at my sig:)

Your signature was what I thought of when I first clicked on this thread...

R pro Aviar or any wizard, z Buzz, any Teebird, 1st run star destroyer.
Yeah that would do it

Latest posts