• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

41st Annual Wintertime Open

That would either be amazing or terrible lol. This may be just me, but I feel like the best combo is play by play dude (just a dude), and a pro. It's the formula for pretty much every major sports broadcast. Two pros can get offtrack or just weird at times. I feel like the exception is Sexton in that he can do both.

And selfishly I also love doing commentary, and I like to think I'm at least ok at it? It's legit the most/only fun part of the job lol. I guess filming can be fun too, but not always (like Friday when it was dumping rain and I was sick...). Commentary with a good partner is always fun.

Maybe we'll test pro/pro at some tourney I can't make it to in person, but I'd be surprised if that's the long term play.
Understand. They could get locked up in some weird binary convo, and/or divulge too much.
But.... This with Eagle and the Pig whatever in Thailand commentary with Gregg made me think that it would be amusing to hear the two for a round or two. But, Absolutely be selfish, and stick to your guns here. I enjoy your commentary quite a bit as well.

Ian has a great personality for commentary. A likable dude who has enough knowledge about the players to provide useful info but doesn't try to break down why the players are throwing what lines. Pair him with a high level player with a decent personality who can break down what's going on in the players mind and you have a winning combo.

And selfishly I also love doing commentary, and I like to think I'm at least ok at it? It's legit the most/only fun part of the job lol. I guess filming can be fun too, but not always (like Friday when it was dumping rain and I was sick...). Commentary with a good partner is always fun.

Maybe we'll test pro/pro at some tourney I can't make it to in person, but I'd be surprised if that's the long term play.

You're *great* at commentary, Ian!

Please let "doing work" go the way of "like a boss". It's time. :)

That would either be amazing or terrible lol. This may be just me, but I feel like the best combo is play by play dude (just a dude), and a pro. It's the formula for pretty much every major sports broadcast. Two pros can get offtrack or just weird at times. I feel like the exception is Sexton in that he can do both.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Pro and Pro almost always sounds more like dvd commentary between actors than sports commentary. PbP and color is the tried and true formula and you're easily the best PbP guy (Honorable mention to Terry IMO). Your laid back style makes you the Pat Summerall of disc golf (except less monotone thankfully). :thmbup:

And I'll join in the Eagle commentary lovefest. He did a great job, came across more polished and professional than in the past. I loved the disc knowledge he was dropping but it really surprised me since I'm sure his sponsor would prefer him to be a better company man. Glad he wasn't though.

I know those feels from Austin Hannum but give credit to Hammes for throwing some smoke that last round. :hfive:

Eagle's commentary was really good. Great pairing, honestly.

I would not enjoy CCDG as much without Ian as half the commentary. Let's not change that.

The first part is way off. Eagle is amazingly annoying imo. Also he doesnt react to great shots as well as other pros commentary. ..
And they didnt vibe at all.

2nd part is spot on

The first part is way off. Eagle is amazingly annoying imo. Also he doesnt react to great shots as well as other pros commentary. ..

2nd part is spot on

I would have agreed more with this last year. But this go round was really good, for me.

I liked that he presented different paths for each hole. He sounded like an inside guy who really knew the course, and how it could be played in different ways.

Up till last year he had this rad high school vibe. He sounded like an adult to me here and that transition was very noticeable. Again, for me. There were a number places where he could have inserted worthless commentary, again by my likes, and he sat smoothly through them, letting the play unfold.

I've already said I liked him earlier so forgive me for using your post as a counter to why I liked his commentary. I thought your comments very relevant.

2nd part is spot on

Hey, we found the one guy who didn't like Eagle's commentary!

Commentary you can never please everyone. I was joking with the guys that the only one everyone likes is sexton, and then the next day I randomly read a comment hating on nate, so there goes that lol.

People suck in general and aren't afraid to let other people know how much they think they suck(especially online).At least you don't have to deal with it in real time. The crap that Terry and JVD got on livestreams last year was ridiculous.

… I wonder what the chat will be like next week, lol.

Ian, you come off laid back, funny, self deprecating and knowledgeable in your commentary. A style made for disc golf IMO.
I'm a bad barometer because I never watch disc golf videos and don't know if this is common or not, but a lot of times sports announcers over-do the drama. I gave in and watched this event in a "what is Paul throwing" bit of weakness expecting to watch part one, but I saw the results and knew that Hannum was going to lose a big lead late and watched part 2 out of morbid fascination. Both Hammes and McBeth I think hit eagles on the back, and the reaction was a "great hole for Adam"-type thing. There wasn't any dramatic "cutting into Austin's lead, can he hang on?"-type stuff. When the lead was gone it was more of a "wow, how did we get here?" vibe.

Which was exactly what I was thinking. He had a huge lead. He didn't play all that bad so far as I noticed. He gave up the two strokes on the one hole and he lost strokes to each guy when they hit an Eagle, but...it was a big lead. He had room to have a bad hole. There wasn't an epic meltdown-blowup on the back like I was expecting. Those other guys were stormin' and the lead just sorta slipped away.

The laid-back commentary matched what I was watching, and considering they knew going in what was going to happen they could have played on it a lot and over baked the drama of the situation. Instead they let the lead just sorta slip away and then went "Hun? What did we just see?"

The only time I thought they really gave away what was going to happen was a sort of awkward exchange about the lead and the number of holes to go at the end of part one, but that was probably because when they said it I was doing the math in my head trying to figure out how in the heck Hannum could possibly lose. If I didn't know that in advance the exchange probably wouldn't have registered as weird at all.

I don't have a lot of things to judge it against so far as disc golf videos I've watched, but I'd watch something like that again. I thought it was done well.

Commentary you can never please everyone. I was joking with the guys that the only one everyone likes is sexton, and then the next day I randomly read a comment hating on nate, so there goes that lol.

Yup. I still thumb up/subscribe to the youtube videos to support the coverage. The video coverage is mainly what i care about and its beautiful.

Im sure im in the minority by not liking eagle's commentary and thats OK. The internet will survive.

Finished the CCDG coverage last night. Altogether very well done and I enjoyed watching!

Even knowing how it was going to end, still crazy to see how those last few holes played out.

Glad to see CCDG getting some advertising dollars from Discraft. However, I feel like that final round is going to sell a lot more Forces than it sells the BuzzzOS or Heat!

Latest posts