• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

970 rated plus advice?

Yeah mostly I'm just diggin that some of you have found something worthwhile in this stuff ;)

haha, seriously.

really craigg, thanks again!

this thread really makes me want to play a tournament, thank you for reviving it!

Tom... Have we met? Can't believe someone is in Lexington and been playing over 2 years and I don't know them! I found it funny that we have both played Seth Burton in Fairmont WV. I drive a gray Van and am at vets a lot, Always in a Dallas or WV cap and carry a Fade "Fly or Die" bag.

play and have fun. I beat everyone who uses headphones. Those clowns already have issues if they are trying to eliminate their distractions.

Here is my biggest tip. Don't practice or warm up. Only play at tournaments. Buy a car with heated seats. You can sleep longer and arrive at the very last minute with your muscles already lose from the hot seat.

and enjoy yourself

Barry uses headphones a lot...

Attitude

OK this one has been touched on in lots of little ways, but I don't think it can be reinforced enough. Confidence is truly key to execution, be it an over the water throw or a 20' putt with OB right behind the basket. If you see yourself missing or have any sort of negative thought - it's very hard to overcome and be successful on that shot. So keeping a positive attitude is really key to executing virtually every kind of shot.

So put on your best evangelist preacher voice and say it with me brothers YOU GOT TO BELIEVE!! Don't just think you're gonna make it - say it out loud. Reinforce it - back yourself up. As you approach your lie say it aloud - "I can make this". Positive reinforcement is equally or more powerful than negative reinforcement. Striving to include the positive in your game goes a loooooong way.

A word of caution. Avoid giving yourself "do" instructions. There's a big difference between saying "I can make this", and instructing yourself to "make this". One inspires confidence and ends right there. The other leads to further instructions which just muddle the mind and introduce the dreaded distraction (picture it in your mind -make this... keep the nose down...be firm, DOH!!) So stay away from the instructions and stick to pumping yourself up with the belief that you can succeed. The more you believe, the more you will succeed.

^^^ ya you definitely played better that second round. still wish i hadnt told you about that flick shot on hole 12....lol.
you playing this weekend? Freeze Your Ace Off Open

Unfortunately no, the semester is winding down, finals are in full swing and my 21st birthday is on the 6th. We will be celebrating a little early this weekend.

Hope you have fun though. I hear Kenny is trying to put on a fun tourney.

LOL And until I get that flick shot to work on hole 12 it means nothing. Knowing about it and executing it are two completely different things.

Attitude

OK this one has been touched on in lots of little ways, but I don't think it can be reinforced enough. Confidence is truly key to execution, be it an over the water throw or a 20' putt with OB right behind the basket. If you see yourself missing or have any sort of negative thought - it's very hard to overcome and be successful on that shot. So keeping a positive attitude is really key to executing virtually every kind of shot.

So put on your best evangelist preacher voice and say it with me brothers YOU GOT TO BELIEVE!! Don't just think you're gonna make it - say it out loud. Reinforce it - back yourself up. As you approach your lie say it aloud - "I can make this". Positive reinforcement is equally or more powerful than negative reinforcement. Striving to include the positive in your game goes a loooooong way.

A word of caution. Avoid giving yourself "do" instructions. There's a big difference between saying "I can make this", and instructing yourself to "make this". One inspires confidence and ends right there. The other leads to further instructions which just muddle the mind and introduce the dreaded distraction (picture it in your mind -make this... keep the nose down...be firm, DOH!!) So stay away from the instructions and stick to pumping yourself up with the belief that you can succeed. The more you believe, the more you will succeed.

Craig touched on the confidence part of the game. When i'm playing a good round of golf I don't think about anything. I don't over analyze my tee shot at all. I've never been a great driver anyway. I just throw the tee shot or approach anywhere near the basket and just "know" i'm going to hole out. Once the confidence flow begins it becomes demoralizing to my opponents. And I like to take charge. There is always someone in my group who wants to know who is away. I always go first. Very often when making a good shot my opponent will feel the pressure and mess up.

Have faith in your abilities and you will go far

Attitude

Ive seen a lot of over confident people make dumb mistakes. Going for that over OB drive, or the water death putt; even the hard run at a 30'er on flat ground that goes 30' past. Then they take bogeys and doubles bogeys. Play each shot and measure the risk/reward. A potential birdie is not worth a double bog..Unless you are pro and HAVE to make all those shots. Playing smart and conservative will, in my opinion always leave you playing well at the advanced level. NEVER putt more than twice. At 970 rated, more often than not, your first putt is for Birdie anyways.

One thing that really helped me was having my own scorecard with me to keep track of myself and set a goal of what I wanted to score each round and what holes I can approve on from previous rounds. Say if the leader threw a 55 the first round, I would set my goal at 54 for the second round and go thru the holes on which ones are must birds and improve upon holes from the previous round to achieve that score.
My first few tournys I didnt have my own scorecard it felt like I was playing a casual non-score keeping round and didnt take them serious at all which I still dont but atleast Im keeping track and try to atleast beat my own personal best rounds.

Ive seen a lot of over confident people make dumb mistakes. Going for that over OB drive, or the water death putt; even the hard run at a 30'er on flat ground that goes 30' past. Then they take bogeys and doubles bogeys. Play each shot and measure the risk/reward. A potential birdie is not worth a double bog..Unless you are pro and HAVE to make all those shots. Playing smart and conservative will, in my opinion always leave you playing well at the advanced level. NEVER putt more than twice. At 970 rated, more often than not, your first putt is for Birdie anyways.

I really doubt that a good player will miss a 30ft putt by 30ft. One of the common traits of better players is that they don't miss their putts by a distance that they aren't consitant at making.