• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

970 rated plus advice?

FWIW (and just an out-of-the-blue comment based on what I've seen by inexperience (but potentially good) players I've played in tournaments with),

"Practice hard, play easy".

By this I mean, when you're practicing (play rounds), go for the 40'ers around a tree anhy style...and "learn" how to make them via actual practice. And how to attempt the 25'er comeback you'll have if you miss.
But, in a tournament, play conservatively. I got here (970) by being stupid conservative in tournaments. I'll make less birdies than probably anyone else in the top-3rd in Advanced but probably also will make THE least bogies! Read: boring golf equals winning golf.

Birdies come from a good / lucky tee shot.
Bogies come from either 1) first available or, most often, 2) trying for a miracle (putt / approach) and you're not today's saint.

Karl

I have no clue how to lay up. I think every putt is makeable. I also don't know how to miss a 40ft putt by 25ft.

Chris,

You've also played for longer than most of the people 1) on this MB and 2) looking for advice...so you've 'grooved your style' and have learned from it.

Karl
Ps: And tell me you've never seen anyone ever blow by a 40'er by 25' and then miss the comebacker....:p

The biggest thing to know is that virtually everyone who will ever pick up the disc has the potential to throw 1000-rated rounds. If you can shoot 250' and make 20' putts, you can thrown 1000-rated rounds if you are always consistent. It's not distance, it's accuracy. The posts below will bring that point home.

As proof, think of all the pro women rated over 970. Oh, wait. And I guess women don't get to post in this thread.

Chris,

You've also played for longer than most of the people 1) on this MB and 2) looking for advice...so you've 'grooved your style' and have learned from it.

Karl
Ps: And tell me you've never seen anyone ever blow by a 40'er by 25' and then miss the comebacker....:p

i've seen ams do it but unless something caused a rollaway or the basket was on a cliff it would be very rare for a professional to miss a 40ft putt by 25ft. That would mean they misjudged the distance horribly.

when i do practice it is usually putting- practice putts you can make- you are trying to train your brain you make ALL your putts, if you've been playing any period of time your body already knows how to do it. force yourself to make a certain number in a row from a certain distance before you can stop to simulate pressure. (believe me when it has already gotten dark and you're still out there after the rest of the family has had dinner that 9th and 10th 20 footer are pressure putts!)

I have this routine where I take my skillshot outside and put it near my chainstar and puttbetween them, then move them gradually further apart until i start missing 15-25% of the time. Then I stick at that range and putt between them the rest of the session.

I got in over my head yesterday at only about 10 feet apart, trying to hit 4 in a row in the skillshot in a stiff headwind. At first, I was hitting both baskets 100% at about 5 feet, but when I moved the skillshot 10 feet away, I was 100% into the chainstar, and 0% into the skillshot. I found my bead pretty quickly, but that 4th putt just would not sink. It took over an hour to finally hit 4 in a row. I was miserable.

But to my surprise, I find that my putting is much improved today. It's waaayyyy better than it's ever been, even out past the circle doing jump putts. All that repetition getting the snakestrike snapping into the headwind made a big difference.

Latest posts