• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Journey to 1000 Courses - You're Invited

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
For those of you that don't like to read, I'll start off with the main headline.

Danhyzer and I are playing our 999th disc golf together on September 30 at 1pm, followed fairly immediately by our 1000th course. Location: Crystal City Underground, Crystal City, Missouri.

This website has been my bible for this adventure, in scouting for courses, meeting wonderful people, and progressing my skills. I thank this entire forum. I would like to open the invitation for anybody that would like join us for this occasion

I am fully convinced that disc golf is a drug. My first encounters were opportunistic, the people and activities I was involved in occasionally brought me to the disc golf course. Then there was that day about three years ago that I made the first step down the slippery slope of addiction, I bought my first disc.

Before long the discs were piling up and every last ounce of my motivation drove me to the course, every last dime of income is supporting the addiction. One course led to another, one road trip led to another, 100 courses led to another 100, to nearly every reach of the United States. I never had a goal in mind, I just couldn't get enough. Often I'm asked "What's the best course" and my quick, witty reply is "Any course that I haven't played yet."

A catalyst of the addiction is the people I meet along the way. At the Disc Golf course, everybody is a friend by association. They may not share the addiction to the level that I do, but the common bond draws us together into an instantaneous, often short lasting friendship, that sometimes sprouts into a lasting friendship.

It was sometime after I had played my 500th course that I came across Dan, he was one of the first that shared the addiction at such a deep level that I have. We shared stories from courses all over the country, and shared several rounds together around eastern Ohio. We toyed with the idea of playing our 1000th course together, like Calhoun and Hosfeld did at Jim Warner Memorial course, nevermind that I had nearly 500 courses left to his less than 100.

Less than a year later, here we are. I must play 9 more courses before Crystal City. I never gave much thought to which course I cared my 1000th to be. When Dan proposed an underground course, I was a bit hesitant, but having given it some thought I think it's perfect. A completely unique Disc golf experience, I'm not expecting the course to blow me away, just a fun experience that I've never had before. It's one course that everybody has heard about, probably the course that I most often get asked "Hey have you played..?" - "Well actually... course #1000."

This isn't the end of the journey by any means, just a major milestone along the way. When will it stop? Couldn't tell you, still no destination/goal in mind. Just to keep living and enjoying life while I can.

Come on out, join us for a round, help us carry on the tradition of two people at a time reaching this milestone. Thank you CCU for hosting is for this occasion. I look forward to seeing some of you there. I'll let Dan Chime in with his thoughts. I'll close with the answer to "Which courses have you played?"

attachment.php

Attachments

• DGMap.jpg
    DGMap.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,074
Incredible! Wish I could witness this. If you ever make it back down Mississippi way let me know. It would be an honor to play a round with you.

holy sh!t martin!

proud to say I introduced you to two courses out of 1000... whats that 0.2%... :\

:hfive: buddy!!

Glad to hear Missouri DG has brought you back - was good to see you at Oakland earlier this year.

I am living 2 hours away from Crystal City! :( Too bad I have to fly back home to do engagement pictures that weekend or I would totally be there! Congratulations on an accomplishment 99.999% of disc golfers will never reach in their lifetimes.

Impressive, most impressive. And I thought my goal of trying to play all the courses in my home state of Kansas was gonna be an achievement.

that's awesome, what a unique course to mark the occasion

good luck and shoot them straight on your future adventures

Very jealous of what your'e doing. It's to bad we didn't hook up while you where in Tahoe. To think how happy I am to pass 100 courses after my Oregon trip this week. You should write a book.

Congrats to both of you. And that's a great decision for a #1000 course.

I played with Hosfeld on something like his #998. I hope plenty of folks here get to join you on your stretch drive and to them I say, For God's sake, don't do anything that might injure your guests!

As far as I can tell, Danhyzer will be the first disc golfer to reach 1000 without playing Stoney Hill. Send him down when you're finished with him.

Danhyzer and I are playing our 999th disc golf together on September 30 at 1pm, followed fairly immediately by our 1000th course. Location: Crystal City Underground, Crystal City, Missouri.

Um, you guys aren't going to like, hold hands or something, are you?

Originally Posted by GoodDriveBadPutt
i like the buzzz because innova has a really tough time making a consistent disc from run to run and you never know what the flight pattern is going to be even though i have a bunch of different buzzzes that fly very unlike each other i'm sure it's much worse if i threw rocs not to mention that there are so many different kinds of rocs i mean sure a roc can cover every shot and is more versatile than a buzzz but that's because there are so many different kinds of rocs so you can pick and choose which ones are best for which shot like an ontario or san marino or rancho and buzzzes are considered only straight flyers unless they are in different stages of wear or maybe a different plastic like d z x ti crystal flx crystal flx esp and there are different kinds of dominess so even though you don't know exactly what it's going to fly like it's probably better than innova because they have so many issues with consistency
this made me lulz

If I could make it to Crystal City on the 30th could I join the group?

Ive played with both these guys and I have never met 2 bigger addicts to course bagging....Too bad these guys are not as addicted to reviewing and rating courses.....although both of them would probably overrate every course because they are both such positve and optimistic disc golfers. I think a bunch of us could learn from these guy's attitudes.