• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A little rant about boutique (rare) discs

the DX Orc is THE WEAKEST stamp ever! it looks like a 6 year old who is mildly good at drawing designed it

curt said:
the DX Orc is THE WEAKEST stamp ever!

i don't know, have you seen the dx destroyer stamp. and if that doesn't convince you, what about the starfire.
dx destroyer is very well-executed. i understand how people don't like the concept though.

dx starfire is not much of a concept/design/stamp. obvious deadline victim on that one.

the dx orc is horribly-executed, it's a dumb concept, it fails on every level. worst production stamp ever, imo.

curt said:
the DX Orc is THE WEAKEST stamp ever!

i don't know, have you seen the dx destroyer stamp. and if that doesn't convince you, what about the starfire.
I would wear a shirt with the destroyer stamp before i would look at a DX orc

and i dont know how you could not like this stamp :lol: http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7258/starfiremb9.jpg

I'll take the Orc stamp over the Cro. I've never liked the Banshee stamp, either.

I'm arachnaphobic enough that I've never thrown a Spider just because of the stamp.

I don't get why anyone gives a shit what's on a disc. :lol:

Okay, everyone here who was stuffed in a trash can in high school, raise your hand...A/V Club members, you too.

stoneman said:
I don't get why anyone gives a shit what's on a disc. :lol:

Okay, everyone here who was stuffed in a trash can in high school, raise your hand...A/V Club members, you too.
I'd bet Innova sold thousands of Vipers in the 90's for the stamp alone. I used to try to talk noobs into a nice Aviar or Shark, but they had to have that tough-looking snake. :roll:

Working Stiff said:
I'd bet Innova sold thousands of Vipers in the 90's for the stamp alone. I used to try to talk noobs into a nice Aviar or Shark, but they had to have that tough-looking snake. :roll:
Viper is still Academy's biggest-selling disc. The snake.

THE SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
002-3-1.jpg

An actual printable quote from a conversation I had with Dave McCormack pre-Gateway..."Imagine how much better the sport would be if the Aviar had the Viper stamp." I don't often agree with Davey Mac, but I was with him on this one.

garublador said:
I'll take the Orc stamp over the Cro. I've never liked the Banshee stamp, either.
blasphemy! Cro is kickass. Banshee is kinda weak/weird ... what is it, the ghost of a jellyfish?

hehe... the old warehouse "code" (box-drawing) for banshee... a little bedsheet ghost like in pacman :lol:

I was recently at my disc retailer who did not have many of the recent hot discs in stock but had many tourney discs for $20-30 for sale.

I can't really justify paying for fancy plastic unless it has really interesting artwork on it. And then I will never want to throw most of that art based on value and sentiment.

Needless to say, I took a pass on his offer to buy the expensive (and very recent) tourney discs and told him to stock the regular stuff!

Ted Damson said:
Banshee is kinda weak/weird ... what is it, the ghost of a jellyfish?
I see a lot of the star stamped Banshees for sale listed as "1st Run," but if they only did one run of that stamp they must have held some back at the warehouse to send specifically to me, because three years after that disc was out I was still getting the star stamped discs. It took a long time before they came up with any art for that disc, and when they did it was sort of...yeah, what is that? I guess they don't run the disc names past the art department before they are released.

Wow, that Stingray IS a cool stamp! Looks less like a stingray and more like the Facehuggers in the Aliens movies! Just look at that gnarly underside.

Nice old school DTW disc! For years DTW was the only way a bunch of DGers living in Spokane Washington could get their hands on discs other that old Whamo lids. I think I still have a mint Aero with a La Mirada hot stamp. If I can find it I'll post a pic.

As to designer discs ... :lol: ... I'll pay up to 20 for a disc but that's about it. I don't collect plastic, I throw it. I am trying to track down some tourney stamped Pro D Buzzzes; if any of you know of or have some drop me a line.

I just got the 2007 USDGC dvd for xmas, and they have a number of bonus vids. One such vid is a What's In the Bag for David Greenwell. He's throwing an amoeba stamp Stingray in the tournament.