• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] A none flippy understable driver for easy hyzerflips

Malawi

Par Member
Practising throwing long straight distance shots atm

And as iam fairly new iam having some suscess with understable discs since alot of my throws releases are on hyzer angle , even tho iam trying to throw straight.

I have a tern, Falk, Diamond, leopard3, roadrunner and saint if it counts as understable.

Having the most suscess with leopard and roadrunner, saint aswell. Tern can be good sometimes but the Diamond and falk are very flippy and really wants to go right or somewhere else. Had some lucky shots with the Diamond/ hyzerflip but not like the other ones that most of the time turns from hyzer to straight.

Any suggestion of discs for me? Like 170 grams.
I do like the innova star plastic.

My favorite discs to hyzer-flip are the ones that when thrown flat, drift right and never come back. I don't like to hyzer flip anything that when thrown flat has late fade or flips fully over into the ground.

For me, those two discs are the Fuse and Roadrunner.

I find the Discmania Essence to be a lot like the Flak. Also the Axiom Insanity. The Latitude 64 Sapphire is hyzer flippable, but it takes some control not to just turn it over entirely, also light weight so meh in headwinds.

If you are having success with these, I'd say stick with them for a while. My go-to discs for hyzerflips are a Champ Leopard3 and a Barsby Star Roadrunner, so I'm admittedly biased, but they are tried-and-true molds.

Mm you are probelby right, maybe get more of those instead.
But forgot to mention i want something like them but possiblity to squeze out abit more distance, or well i will need it someday.

My longest throws i had with the Tern around 350+ feet, but 90% of the shots with it i cant turn it, but cant get more then 325 with the leopard/runner.

Is there any easier disc around 9-11 speed that i could try?like maybe Avenger SS?
Did some reading about the L64 Diamond and guess i throw it to hard since its apparently a finesse disc:doh:

Leopard3 and Roadrunner should be great for those shots. Maybe a higher weight/more stiff plastic (Champ) version or work on your form & release to get more spin and flatter release.

Dynamic Discs Maverick is a great hyzer flip disc. Fusion for lower arm speeds and Lucid or better, Lucid-X for faster throws. Thrown hard, you can put a 45 degree hyzer angle and still flip flat. Thrown 60%, slight flip up and glide right.

Sapphire is a couple of steps up in speed, stability and distance over the Diamond and is probably some of the easiest distance you'll get if you're throwing >300 with leo3 and 350+ max distance.

I also know people that throw similar distances that love the Falk for easy distance that glides forever, so maybe play around with that a little more and see if you can dial in the release angles.

Edit: Sapphire is light but you can get it in weights up to about 163g and flies well for a lighter disc. There's also a 170+ version coming in this year's trilogy challenge.

Last edited:
I'll add another vote for the Essence. The most buttery hyzer-flip disc I've ever thrown. For something a little slower, I recommend a Comet. Faster, Ballista (I find them to be less stable than a Tern).

Mm you are probelby right, maybe get more of those instead.
But forgot to mention i want something like them but possiblity to squeze out abit more distance, or well i will need it someday.

My longest throws i had with the Tern around 350+ feet, but 90% of the shots with it i cant turn it, but cant get more then 325 with the leopard/runner.

Is there any easier disc around 9-11 speed that i could try?like maybe Avenger SS?
Did some reading about the L64 Diamond and guess i throw it to hard since its apparently a finesse disc:doh:
The Beast is a good step up from RR but still easier to throw than Tern. Z Heats are also sneaky long when thrown with hyzer, about a 9 speed.