• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A twist on a 50/50 Hole...Let's Gamble!

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
The past few years I have had a 50/50 hole set up at my yearly tournament I run. Since it is a flex start event, I had a final throw off at the end of the day for the closest 5 throwers if they were available. And I usually find myself or with little help running the event, so it is always difficult to take the time to measure and record results.

I had an idea and wanted to get some input to see what people's thoughts were on something different.

I have been to a few ball golf scramble events where they have a gambling hole on a par 3. Pay $5 and if you hit it on the green, you get a sleeve of balls and a coupon for an amazing discounted golf club or something.

What if I did something similar at my event? We'll make the hole 160-170' for the example. Pay $1 per throw and if you make it in the outer marked ring (within 15') you get your money back, within it in the 2nd ring (10' for example) and you get $2 back, bullesye (5') and get $5, make an ace and you get $10.

Do you think this would be something that many players would want to pay to throw at? Thoughts? Opinions? Has anyone ever done or seen anything like this?

They did something similar at Seneca Creek. Between or after the tourney rounds, pay in for 5 throws to a basket around 150-200', with a circle painted around the basket. Top scores threw another 5 times, competing for a bag and mini basket, maybe some discs. Ties were broken by CTP on the five throws.

It was a ton of fun, spectators cheering and razzing every throw.

Last edited:
I get the issues with organizing and measuring.. Personally I do no more than paying to 3rd furthest.. But I only do that if noone gets the Ace pot... because it's more work. If you can get marker signs made up where people write on it and move it themselves then the more self serve it is the easier it is on you.

If it wasn't the final 5 and was open to everyone you would lose money around here.. Out of 20 say... 6-8 would poop themselves, 10-8 would be in the ring, and the other 4 would be right under it.

Damn edit....

I get its a 50/50 fundraiser.. Another thing we have done is play for quarters.. Set a timer for 10 min.. You can pay in up to $1 for 4 discs.. When the timer goes off and everyone who pays in threw then you collect the winning disc.. Give them half. Then repeat as long as people are hanging out.

Or just have a CTP for the 50/50. Closest one wins. It is always fun to have side games going on while the TD and staff validate scores and post results, but without an army of help, making life easy is not a crime.

Sounds really fun. I like that your idea pays good shots (bullseye) not just the best shots (ctp).

CCO (Cedar Creek Open, Southern MN A-Tier, one of the largest tourneys in MN every year) does something similar. Hole "6" in many of the previous years, had a witness volunteer taking cash, players could wager any amount they want. If they land in the circle (I believe the 10m circle, possibly slightly different), on a 250'ish hole, they would win double the wager in funny money (to buy discs/bags/apparel/etc).

What if I did something similar at my event? We'll make the hole 160-170' for the example. Pay $1 per throw and if you make it in the outer marked ring (within 15') you get your money back, within it in the 2nd ring (10' for example) and you get $2 back, bullesye (5') and get $5, make an ace and you get $10.

I think with this short of a hole, at these payouts, you could have someone come in and wipe you out. You'd have to think through/test run this really well to make sure you maximize how much people are willing to gamble (you want to make it a worthwhile game to play), but making sure that you're the winner in the end.

I think with this short of a hole, at these payouts, you could have someone come in and wipe you out. You'd have to think through/test run this really well to make sure you maximize how much people are willing to gamble (you want to make it a worthwhile game to play), but making sure that you're the winner in the end.

I agree that this seems like an issue. Isn't whole whole point of a fifty-fifty that the fundraiser is guaranteed to make some money as long as there are more people play than there are payouts?

The big challenge with this idea, compared to the original idea is that: 1) Those "hit it on the green" challenges are usually promotions of some sort, so it doesn't really matter whether they "make money", and 2) what they are giving away is usually worth less than what it costs to play anyway.

$5 to get a $2 (wholesale) sleeve of balls and a percent off coupon that brings the pro-shop profit margin down to 25%? They are making money even if you hit it on the green.

So, if you want do something like this, the best idea might be to see if you can get some local stores to donate promo coupons or something. They don't even have to be disc golf stores. Could be restaurants and the like. Then make it so the aces go into an ace pot or something. No aces, have a throw off among everyone who got it to within 5 feet. That might solve the basic challenges.

That could involve a lot more work before the tourney though.

Latest posts